Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    FDPappy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry IAFF & Tactical Medics

First of all, I belive that "Cops dressing as FFs" is wrong and should be discouraged, but I am appalled by the IAFF leaderships narrow vision of tactical medics.

1.) When EMS has not been meeting the needs of our communities, the fire service has stepped up and taken it by the horns.

2.) When fire fighters and citizens were dying because of our lack of haz-mat training, the fire service stepped up and we now have extensive resources for haz-mat training and response.

3.) The fire service took steps to make sure our brothers and sisters have been trained to respond to WMD and technical rescue.

Yet, when they view law enforcement using fire service paramedics as tactical medics they run and hide out of fear of "Role Confusion" or its "bad image for the fire service". Let me say this, when law enforcement saw the need for having paramedics on their tactical / SWAT units, they came to the best trained and highly experienced medics of the fire service.
    Talk about a bad image- how about seeing firefighters and medics on the nightly news watching from the safety of the CP while a child lays dying in an open field because there aren't any tactical medics to go into a hostile gun fire incident to save them. If you don't know anything about tactical medicine then find out what it really is before you pass judgement on what it will do to the "image". Call CONTOMS or H&K and find out what tactical medics do. They aren't about arresting people and raiding drug labs for fun. They are they to keep those innocent citizens and police officers who are shot or otherwise injured during a hostile incident alive. I challenge the IAFF leadership to step up and be educated on this issue. Listen to those of us who have proudly served the IAFF & the fire service and also serve as tactical medics. Remember Columbine and the other schools who have lost children to gunshot wounds in the past ten or more years. Does anyone in the leadership know that 65% of penetrating trauma victims die in the first five minutes? That's what the tactical medic is for. Saving lives in hostile environments were traditional EMS cannot function. How about the law enforcement officers who die every week because time ran out before help go arrive? I thought we were about public safety. I say "medic up" IAFF leadership. If you don't know what that means, what a pity ignorance is. Try to educate yourself. Go out and see first hand what tactical medics are about. Then you can make an intelligent decision!

CFD14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

YES!

Jolly Roger
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I vote FOR endorsing and supporting Tactical Medic programs.

------------------
    Let us never, ever forget those of us that have gone before us in the line of duty. Because those brave souls have given all, it is up to us to always keep them alive in our hearts and our memories.

FTM-PTB-EGH
    http://www.geocities.com/midamericafools

NCFiremedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Hooyah, or if you were with the Jarheads Hooray!!!
    Nothing worse then having the training, knowledge and willingness to do something and being told to sit on the sidelines when something needs to be done right now!!!

------------------
    Running a code is easy.
    The hard part starts when you bringem back and have a 30-40 min transport

Thread Information