Titan4016
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Volunteer Firemen LODD's

I along with the rest of the fraternity of firefighters were deeply saddened by the deaths of the three firemen in New York. Anytime a fireman is lost, I think it takes alot out of everyone no matter where you firefight. However I have another topic I want to pose. I am a volunteer fireman, and gladly put my hindparts on the line at every call I go to. As does every fireman/woman. However I have recently come across something that I find to be very disturbing. I was recently on Firefighter.com and read a number of line of duty death postings. In one specific example, three volunteer fireman were killed when the ceiling of a fully involved house fire fell on them. My question is why didn't these brave men recieve the same type of coverage as the New York firefighters did. Were their deaths not a tragedy? Even though we are volunteers we are still fireman. We put our butts on the line just the same as paid departments. So why when we die in the line of duty do we not recieve the same accolades and nationwide press coverage as paid departments. When we first join a department we (volunteers) swear to a solemn oath just the same as paid fire personnel do. Dont get me wrong I am taking nothing away from the New York firemen who bravely lost their lives, however I do believe, paid and volunteer alike, we are all firemen. We put our lives on the line everyday at every call we go to. The only difference is we (volunteers) do this for free. So if (GOD forbid)we do perish in our dangerous jobs, should'nt we all be honored just the same as firemen, paid and volunteer alike? Let me know what you think.

------------------
    These views are mine and mine alone.

Larry Bowden
    Probationary Fireman

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Onesy Twosy deaths don't get a lot of publicity.

If you go back a couple years to the triple vollie LODD outside of Fort Worth, TX of the River Oaks & Sansom Park firefighters, I think you'll find the coverage was similiar.

firedude3815
    Firehouse.com Guest

I would have to say that it's due to the huge media presence in New York City and other metropolitan areas.

Also, large departments have people that deal with the media on a regular basis and get the information to all of the available resources.

Personally, I don't distinguish LODD's between paid or volunteer. I'm a vollie and I've attended both types of funeral. I say as long as the family and fellow firefighters are supported throughout the ordeal then who cares how many cameras or news trucks are there. The fallen will always live on in the memory of those who loved them.

Just my two cents.

Stay safe out there!

Firediver
    Firehouse.com Guest

I see your point. When the 3 vollies in Iowa died last year, the city refused to pay for the funerals. Where was the public outcry from the news media for them? Many of us FF's from small paid dept.'s and Vol.'s
    sometimes get the raw end of it, the larger dept.'s have news bureaus in the cities, so hence better coverage, also a large dept. has the budget/manpower to honor them the way every LODD should be. But, we didn't get into this business to get news coverage, or at least I and my coworkers didn't. Let us just pay our respects to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice, never forget them or their families, learn from the incident and move on. Don't dwell on the lack of news.

------------------
    Craig Walker

stay low....stay safe....BUT GET YOU SOME!!!!

I see your point. When the 3 vollies in Iowa
    They where full time paid.

died last year,
    Two years ago, December 1999

the city refused to pay for the funerals.
    Which is correct

Where was the public outcry from the news media for them?
    Somewhere, between the media and the fire service on these boards. At least members of the community stepped forward when their city government wouldn't to pay for the funerals.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber

Titan,

Sometimes the press just runs with a story and it goes national, other times the same story stays local.

Cavalieri, Bopp, Bohan.

Drennan, Young, Siedenburg.

These names didn't draw anywhere near the national attention as the most recent fire, yet they represent the last two, 3x fatalities in the FDNY.

Perhaps it was Fathers Day, maybe a slow news day or maybe someone just ran with it.

You ask if you should be honored if you die fighting a fire. We all bring honor upon ourselves for what we do. Some of us won't accept the praise and some look for it. Honor is in the heart, not the headlines.

Stay safe and alive and stop worrying if one fallen brother has received more press than the other. His family, comrads and friends all wish he never had a word written about him posthumously .

I thank those of you who replied to my post. However I think you may have gotten the point of my post twisted just a little. I am not comlaining about the media. Personally I think they will cover what they want to cover. My point was that I think that there seems to me a major difference in the manner in which paid dept's and vollie dept's treat death in LODD. Basically I feel that their should a medium that sees that all fireman recieve the same honor at their deaths. I do agree with whoever said that as long as the family and firefighters are comforted nothing else matters. I know all about honor. I firmly believe that if you served honorably who cares how much media is there. All I am saying is that there seems to be a big diffence. Also the 3 vollie who died were in Tenn. i believe and it happend in March of 2001. In closing I am saying to all firemen, is remember why you are doing the job, serve honorably and be safe.
    Ya'll be safe out there.

Think smart and not hard, who knows it could save your life.

Be Easy

Titan

Another thing I was thinking about was...as much as we hate to admit it, the media is important because how else would distant firemen hear about the LODD's. and how else would we get to the funeral's.. The NY fireman had people from Cali and canada in attendence. Take it easy
    Ya'll be safe out there.

Think smart and not hard, who knows it could save your life.

Be Easy

Titan

MembersZone Subscriber

Titan;

I did not take your post to mean that you were complaining about the media. But you live close enough to NYC to realize how big it is. There are like 11,000 fire fighters, 23,000 cops, three international airports, 8 major sports franchises, 6 network TV stations, dozens of radio stations. It is truly the capital of the world.

FF's in FDNY are a class unto themselves in the city. Everybody loves them. For the most part, cops and FF are looked upon as the last true heroes in NYC. It is a fact of life that the NY media provides intense coverage for these incidents, especially the multiple fatality incidents.

This is not a knock on any other department. But the media market in NY is so large that, coupled with the proud rich tradition of FDNY, these events have enormous human interest. Hence, they get enormous media attention.null
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Thread Information