Default The Brotherhood of Fellow Firefighters

I used to be in the Navy and one of the things I loved was the sense of brotherhood that we all shared. Anyone could call you "Shipmate" and you instantly responded as if you were that person's blood relation! When I left the Navy I absolutely missed that brotherhood of sailors. Then I became a firefighter - without really knowing what that entailed. You can just imagine my surprise and joy when I found myself right back in the middle of a close-knit family! Sure, we may not all get along like best friends. We may have totally different interests, views, and desires. Some of us might not even hang out with half of our fellow firefighters simply because of our personal interests and differences. There are even fellow firefighters who totally get on each other's nerves. However, there is an amazing glue that bonds us all togehter: The brotherhood of firefighters!
    I've only been a firefighter for a little over a year. I don't know much and I'm your typical wide-eyed rookie but I've seen a LOT of wonderful things take place in my fire departments and in the entire firefighter community. The older crusty firefighters will sit around and share "war stories" with the rookies. The rookies will share their own silly stories of Probieness! Firefighters will gang up and help the each other study and train, firefighters will hug each other and encourage each other when times get rough. Firefighters cook for each other and cram onto the sofas together in order to enjoy a show on tv (for about ten minutes before the tones go off haha). On a scene your brothers are your life-line and no one forgets that! (Even the newest rookie is pulled into the chain) Firefighters' kids get adopted and loved by a rather large smoke-scented family. Firefighters will band together and defend a brother who's honor is being burned. And most of all, the entire world-wide firefigher community reaches out to those who lose a brother LOD.
    All I can say is this: I'm so glad that I'm a part of all of you! Sure, this may seem sweet and sappy but who cares: I love ya all just the same!
    Stay safe and God bless!
    Probie Name: HurryUpMichelle!!

Forum Member

I like your terminology fellow firefighter; noticed it on the other thread. That's all we need to know, in addition to whether you can cut it.

Does this mean I call you Bro?

Brother - Sister, same thing hehehe! I just say brother and brotherhood becasue it's faster then typing both.
    What is this "other thread" you are talking about?????

your Fire dept. should be very proud to have a team player like yourself. It is unfortunatly rare anymore. Any of the depts. I work with would love to have a "real lady" like you on their dept.
    FF/PARAMEDIC/CORONER/TRAINING "MY DAY STARTS WHEN YOURS ENDS"
    **SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE**

Forum Member

I think the brotherhood is more than coming together for our fallen brothers and their families. The brotherhood means coming together for the "Fire Fight". Only other firefighters understand this. But, Capt. Gonzo made a good point in one of my posts about brotherhood. To paraphrase for him, "Brotherhood" means walking into any firehouse in America and being made welcome. Firefighting has evolved. "A firefighter has no color or gender". The fires are just has hot for the vollies as for us who are paid.

There are a lot of "rookies" who haven't grasped this concept yet.

joejoe33

These statements or opinions are mine and do not represent the organization I am affiliated with or IAFF Local 3358.
    joejoe33

Comments and opinions are mine and do not represent the agency or IAFF local that I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Michelle it was the female FF thread. I like your no-nonsense style. Weren't you also the one with the wildly popular probie thread?

Grit - oh gawd, that Probie thread was so fun! I never expected it to receive so many silly replies!!!!

Michelle, Althea, and Hctrouble, welcome aboard, we're glad to have ye!

Forum Member

A very close knit family where you spend more time with your crew mates than you do at home. I have had the honour of spending 23 years with 'my second family' and loved every minute of it. You can share with them the funny things in life, the sad moments when things go wrong and you need cheering up or support when it 'hits the fan'. They are there for you and join in with births, weddings, christenings and funerals. They sometimes may not agree 100% with what you have said and retort with a few choice words, but there is no venom in that reply.

I have another 7 years before I have to retire, a date that I am not looking forward to arriving and then I will have to leave the group. But even then you are not forgotten and they are still there in the background and part of your life.

There is also the fact that we are all part of the same team and, no matter where you are in the world, we are all family. Ready to share a tale or three or offer advice when a problem arises. I have the pride to say that I have been part of your team.
    Kindest regards & keep safe,

Sprinkle (UK)
    www.sprinkle2.homestead.com

Michelle:

I wish that more of our new firefighters could have the same experience you've had. It seems that the sense of brotherhood has faded a little bit (at least in my department), but people like you help the rest of us remember it.
    I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine.

--Kurt Vonnegut

Thread Information