Default New Rating system

How about the new rating system?

I think it has potential. If we all HONESTLY rate each other, maybe we can see how others feel about the demeanor of our replys. I do not, however, feel that we should rate each other based on our opinion on a topic. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and that is how it should be.

What do you guys think?
    Begin with the end in mind.

Be safe out there!!

What new rating system? I must have gotten behind on something crvfd@centurytel.net

Should have been more specific.

The rating of registered posters put in place by firehouse.com.

Sorry for the vagueness of my post.
    Begin with the end in mind.

Be safe out there!!

How about the new rating system?

Well, it's new and these things take time, but at present, I have mixed feelings about it.

On one hand - some can use it to be vidictive to others.

On the other - some can use it to boast about their rating.

On another, some can use it to gauge how others feel about them and adjust their methods (demeanor as you put it) accordingly.

On another hand - who cares how someone is rated. To me, the real issue is is the information they submit accurate or inaccurate, regardless of their rating, experience, the way they present it.

Wait, that's four hands!

I do not, however, feel that we should rate each other based on our opinion on a topic. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and that is how it should be.

Yep.

So anyway, I looked and somebody rated me.

Who?

I don't know.

Can you find that out?

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: mongofire_99 ]
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

It's always frightening to find out what people think about you....

Seriously though, it definitely has potential.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't want to sound anti-social or anything but I could care less about my raiting. I don't read and respond to these forums to get rated. I do it to stay informed and in touch with others in my field. That's all. If FH,com wanted to add more code to their web site they should bring back the spell checker. My spelling is horrible.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

I think it'll be interesting to see where this "rating system" leads. I must wonder, however what it's purpose really is. Is the value of what one has to say based on how "cool" others think you are? Let's see where it goes... and Danny Beebe is right. I noticed a few changes around here. Why didn't I get a memo on this (chuckle, chuckle)?
    Hey, it's MY opinion, not that of my department or peers.

I gotta agree with tillerman. There are no grounds on how to rate someone. Are people being rated on one post or a series of posts? Does LHS* stand a chance

I'm not quite sure what the purpose or point of getting rated is. Just because I don't agree with what someone has to say or someone doesn't agree with what my views are, so what? This is a medium for discussion, not a popularity contest. I look to these forums for ideas and as a tool for learning and hearing how things are done in other Departments. I think I'll pass on the ratings.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB

Well, since I see that someone rated me 5, I think I like the new system. Should my score drop, however, I may rethink my position.
    www.cafepress.com/firerev

Temporarily/No Longer Active

I am on many UBB's and they have the rating systems too...
    They mean nothing to me.
    They just show what others think of a person..........whatever.....

My guess would be that the web team is trying to stop the verbal attacks on some of the "less popular" posters by giving us a way to make an easy jab at someone. They may also be hoping that people who get low ratings may clean up their act. Most likely those type of posters would be proud of their low rating because they know they're getting your dander up. I think it's impossible to rate someone by what they type anonymously from their computer. Let me meet someone face to face and I'll get a first impression, let me get to know them and I'll rate them without feeling the need to tell them what I think. Let's stop the insults, drop the rating system, and treat each other with respect.

My guess would be that the web team is trying to stop the verbal attacks on some of the "less popular" posters by giving us a way to make an easy jab at someone. They may also be hoping that people who get low ratings may clean up their act. Most likely those type of posters would be proud of their low rating because they know they're getting your dander up. I think it's impossible to rate someone by what they type anonymously from their computer. Let me meet someone face to face and I'll get a first impression, let me get to know them and I'll rate them without feeling the need to tell them what I think. Let's stop the insults, drop the rating system, and treat each other with respect.

I have (for the most part) not really concerned myself with what others may think of me. I have usually proceded w/ my own agenda, my own way of going about things (when permisable), and voiced / expressed myself to my own liking. Some people have thought of me as a threat, others a nuscence, and yet others a sh*t-sturrer. They're all right! Just because at times i see things in a different way which detours from the majority, people don't want to open their minds to new thoughts or ideas. afraid of change i quess.

anyway, so i only got a star . . . , boo-fukin-hoo. If i give someone insight and they appreciate it or if i touched someone in a way . . . NOT THAT WAY!!!!!, i meant emotionally or given them a new perspective on things and they want to commend me, or RATE me, cool. I can live w/ that.

If someone however doesn't like my point of view, and has or feels that they not only need to bash the person, or poorly rate me, you know what? Kiss my u know what! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I'm not going to go out of my way and poorly rate someone. I take their input, and move on. But then again, this is my feelings on the topic, and everyone is going to do what they want about it.

Like,

just for sh*ts and giggles, i'm going to rate everyone here w/ 3 stars, just for replying to this topic.
    (unless your already rated higher than that, and then i'll leave your rating alone . . . wouldn't want someone to get their feelings hurt because some sh*t sturrin', nucense brought their rating down)

But hey, like ol' blue eyes once said,

" . . . I did it my way."

Be safe, and keep puttin' the wet stuff on the red stuff!

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]

Well, I don't know who rated me, but I have my theories and I am flattered...(chuckling)

Mongo--
    I have to agree with you on the whole opinions thing--you and I would probably kill eachother if we were in the same room together, but I do have respect for sombody who posts such amusing replies most of the time...

Althea

Now don't take offense to this because I mean it with all due respect, but...

you and I would probably kill eachother if we were in the same room together,

Kill each other!? I eat blue-haired-wise-beyond-their-years (or so they think) teenagers for breakfast. And pick my teeth with one of their little spindly bones, their busted Uncle Kracker CD or a piercing.

I'd thoroughly enjoy time in the same room. I'd spend it deprogramming you from that I'm OK - you're OK government education you received. You know, the one where 1 + 1 = Heather has Two Mommies...? And teaching you to think for yourself.

but I do have respect for sombody who posts such amusing replies most of the time...

Who's trying to be amusing?
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Forum Member

DA-UM!!!!!!!!!!

For Christ's sake, Mongo, RELAX!!!

This is exactly what I mean--We'd both try and kill each other--and for the record--I can't stand Uncle Kracker (and I don't mean that in a good way) but, anyway, I will remind you, my education is funded by YOUR tax dollars!

Althea

PS. Mom says: I've tried putting her in a barrel and feeding her through the bunghole, but darnit, I forgot to take away her Swiss Army knife . . . I, too, respect you, Mongo, even though I don't always agree with you (sometimes, I do!). By the way, I wouldn't call it a government-funded education. It's more like a government funded miseducation or noneducation. At least, that's what it is in beautiful California. Can any of you name any public highschool in the United States that offers Latin or Greek?
    Climbing down from the soapbox,

Ursula

Pss. I (Althea) can't help but laugh because you always manage to reply with so much spitfire. I really do enjoy reading your replys to stuff.Oh, and Mom threatens to put me in a barrel at least once a week.

Althea--Twice winner of "Most opinionated student" award.
    Althea Forhan
    FDNY 343:"Forever your power and strength stays with me"

Relax? I'm way past relaxed, layed back even, jus' chillin'.

I will remind you, my education is funded by YOUR tax dollars!

Not by my choice. Funny thing though, it seems the more they take from me (a reminder - AT GUNPOINT IF NECESSARY) the worse government education gets...

"Don't blame me I voted for Gore"

That's exactly what I meant, thanks for making my point!

Beside who could blame you? You've been fed so much BS through your government education of the idiot box (TV), all you probably know about Bush is that he's the President now and the Kalifornia power crisis is all his fault and not the nitwits that live in Kalifornia and vote democrat. And that millions of black voters were disenfranchised in Florida, in spite of the fact that not a single black voter in Florida could be found would testify to that under oath.

Althea, this is way off topic, but since you're a proud gore voter, when you get a job (you may already have one) and the government sticks their hands in your pocket (with the threat of sticking a gun in your face if you don't pay up) for somebody elses fair share of the money you worked hard to earn, how much, as a percentage, should be the maximum they confiscate from you or anyone else?

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: mongofire_99 ]

Thread Information