Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default How do you blow of steam??

It happens to all of us at one time or another. Whether an officer irks you, or something on the fire ground happens to set you off (tragedy or stupidity), how do you or your company vent the frustration?

Doest it help?
    "In all of us there are heroes... speak to them and they will come forth."

"In order for us to achieve all that is demanded of us, we must regard ourselves as greater than we are."

"Be excellent to each other."

If I'm on a scene and something ticks me off but it's not dangerous to anyone, I bite my tounge and act like everything is fine. After I get back to the firehouse I vent to a buddy or I do a number of things: walk around until I cool down, scrub a rig clean with all my might, plop in front of the TV and watch something funny, or I read a book. If the situation needs to be resolved I talk to a superior about it.
    If something happens on a call that upsets me (tragedy) I do just about the same thing but I'll probably make sure I talk to someone so that I can move through it as fast as possible. If I don't feel like talking to people then I talk to God about it.
    Most of all, since I have a hot temper, I shut up until I cool down. Usually by then I realize that the situation is so trivial and I think "Why should I carry it around inside of me?" That's pointless! If I'm still angry and I feel the situation isn't trivial then I talk to a friend and decide if I need to speak to a superior. But to be honest, 9 times out of 10 I just got my hackles up and I need to let it go and move on. Being happy takes a lot less work!!

I read a great little story that helped me put a lot of life's trivial things into perspective:
    Two monks were walking together down a muddy road when they came upon a girl who was unable to cross through the muck. "Come on girl," said Tanzan at once. Lifting her into his arms he carried her over the mud.
    Ekido, his companion, did not speak again until they had reached a lodging temple. Then he could no longer restrain himself. "We monks don't go near females." He told Tanzan. "Why did you go and do that?"
    Tanzan looked over at his fellow monk.
    "I left the girl there." he replied. "Are you still carrying her?"
    (Zen Story)

To me, that story can be applied to a lot of the things that get under my skin in the fire service - and in life!

Stay safe!
    Probie Name: HurryUpMichelle!!

I usually wait until later and vent to a friend (my best friend is one of our captains, that helps). I also go out and play paintball or work on my truck (it usually needs it anyways).
    I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine.

--Kurt Vonnegut

i usually go down to the river that runs through town and skip rocks untill i am worn out. Also when there is a tradgey, i have a very good friend that i can talk too. she listens even if she has no answers. i hope and pray that i never get to where a tradgey does not bother me. i do not want to be that macho. Larry

To "vent" after situations like that, I prefer to work out. If it can wait I will usually work out in my home gym. Throwing a few hundred (or a thousand in one exercise)around tends to relax me. This followed by a time of prayer solves everything!
    Firefighter/NREMT-B/Hazmat Tech
    To the Lord Jesus Christ: Thanks for providing a career where we can make a difference.

how do you or your company vent the frustration?

Really depends on th e situation for me.

If it affects the safety of anyone on scene, I have a tendency to vent, uh, I mean correct the situation, immediately - DI style (admittedly this may not always be the best way). For some reason I take it as a premeditated attempt against our lives, especially mine, when someone does something that could get us hurt or killed.

Otherwise, play some basketball, weights, kiaser sled, just about anything strenuous. Then sit down and discuss it if need be.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

depends what it is about
    if it affect safty i tell a officer immeditaly to help correct it
    or i just got my hackles up
    play paintball,hike,mountian bike, or reador work on truck
    stay safe and have fun
    2197 10-8<br />stay safe have fun stay healthy<br />
    nc firefighter/emt-d
    RFB-FTM

if im on scene....im sure there needs to be some overhaul done....thatll wear me down after some time...also off duty i play paintball....
    The City of North Charleston lost one their own the other day...Firefighter Lester Harrison of Engine 10...Died while off duty and leaves a wife a 2 children.....you will be missed my brother..
    Its not something you do,
    Its something you are.
    "Whether we bring the terrorists to justice, or we bring justice to the terroists...Justice WILL BE DONE"... President Bush
    Engineer
    Engine Co. # 1
    THESE ARE JUST MY OPINIONS AND OPINIONS ONLY!!!

Again...depends. If it is a life or death issue then I speak up immediately. I am also known to speak my mind to people. If someone ****es me off I have no problem with sitting down with them to express my concerns or anger. I don't yell, I simply talk and listen. But I always speak up. I can't stand when people bitch about something but won't do anything to rectify the situation. I make an example of myself by speaking up and out about things. And I expect that if I screw up or say something not kosher that the other guys will say something to me about it as well. Give respect and get respect.
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Thread Information