Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bad habits

Default bad habits

what is the worst kind of rut or bad habit a firefighter can have? Such as freelancing or not listening to ic or cussing every one at scenes or call someone stupid for getting emotional at a call?

Larry in my opinion it would have to be to ignore your PPE ane the proper way it was intended to be worn! But this is just my opinion and not meant to get the chin strap debate [argument] started again.

I think one of the worst things I see is the way your dept. will get volunteers and then decide they don't have enough learning done in two or three years to be able to do the job, so they never give them a chance to prove themselves. I know a few dept's like this, who whine that they can't get any new members. No kidding, I wouldn't join to help if you won't let me either.
    RDS3604

My wife tells me, I have a bad habit of running into burning buildings.

Bad habits are contagious, and one of the worst is overconfidence.

The worst habit that I know of in the volunteer service is the classic "R&R" ... "Reset & Roll-over"

Those that practice this generally justify it by saying things like:
    "It was just an activated fire alarm"
    "I didn't join to do ambulance calls"
    "I put my time in"
    "I just didn't feel like going"

I'd like to remind these folks that when they joined they made a commitment to the department, to the town, and to their neighbors and if they're no longer willing to give of themselves or their time, maybe it's time to resign or change membership status...

Just my 2 cents though...

Stay safe all
    Stay safe all.

There are some pretty good gripes here. I agree with all of them. I think after some of these, my biggest complaint is people who think the louder they talk into a radio the better they will be heard. I can't count the times I've heard people yelling into the mic for no good reason. If you have a dire problem I can understand but because your pumped up and can't keep composure, not too cool.
    the truth never hides for long

Probably my most annoying (maybe not "bad" habit) is not too much ego, but instead lack of confidence in my abilities. I've seen so many firefighters who think their "gurus', and they're not. Out of fear of having others think of me, I really underestimate my abilities, because I see so many firefighters with more years than me that just aren't smart!

However, I'm lucky to have a department and wonderful officers who encourage me to do stuff - sometimes they know my abilities better than I do, and they tell me "you can - and will - do this!". With every call, every training scenario, I feel better!

On a lighter note, I have a habit of singing/talking/swearing while working extrication. During a competition, one of my brothers almost dropped a tool laughing at something I said.

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: bgfdchick ]
    We're all in this together. FDNY 9-11-01

Two bad habits ... can't decide which is worse.
    1. People who don't realize that they don't know everything that they don't know what they are doing.
    2. The Automatic Alarm Mentality.

Stay Safe

firefighters that get out of the truck before it stops and everything else that was said.

People that don't take safety seriously...the safety officers aren't there for the hell of it...they have a job to do, listen to them.

Freelancers!!! The worst fire fighters out there. You want to get yourself killed...hey have at it..but don't take me down with you.

People that cannot take a joke around the firehouse. This is a serious job and sometimes you have to laugh to calm things down.

People that don't pull their weight around the firehouse. Do your job, do it well, and we won't have any problems...I won't do your job for you. I have enough to do.

Thanks!
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

I don't think it started as a habit, but it seems to have become one. As sonn as the tones go off, I gotta take one hell of a whiz! Is this like pavlovs dogs??

Driving too fast in my pov to a call. A habit I've worked hard to break.

Fire fighters who think they are supermen so don't need to don PPE correctly.
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

in answer to taking a whiz when the tones go off, i would almost bet that over 50 % of firefighters have to do it especialy in the middle of the night.
    three lessons that any emergency personel should learn is when you feel the urge to go the bathroom, do it. when you get a chance for a nap, do it. when you can get a meal, do it. it helped me when working EMS calls

LC

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: larry cook ]

Found a quick fix....just tape a plastic bottle on...........

Blue Grass Army Depot Fire & Emergency Services

I would say that my personal bad habit is trying to Micro-manage. I catch myself getting involved with issues I should let my Officers handle. Sometimes I have to remind myself what I was feeling when I was in their shoes. (which was not that long ago). When I find myself doing this I try to let them know I was not second guessing them but just trying to remain a part of the daily life of the Department.
    Clifford Montgomery
    Fire Chief
    Blue Grass Army Depot Fire & Emergency Services

MembersZone Subscriber

Biggest pet peeves:

1. Firefighters who think they know it all, but don't and will not listen to reason.

2. Firefighters, who are continually criticizing their colleagues and never have anything positive to say.

Stay low and stay safe,

Fireman488 [img]null[/img]

I agree with everything so far. Here is my 2 cents worth.

1. freelancing-This is the ultimate sin. Never, ever, ever, ever freelance. This will get you or someone else killed.

2. Bad attitudes-You know the ones. The guy who always has to bitch about something otherwise he/she isn't happy.
    This becomes contagious and pretty soon the rest of the crew or the whole dept. has a bad attitude.

3. Bull-headed firefighters/officers. The ones that will not listen to reason or refuse to take a step back and see that their way may not always be the right way to do things. This is really hard for me to do so I am constantly aware of myself and try not to become bull-headed.

Stay low and keep your powder dry.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

no sense of tradition and a lack of pride and respect and thinking that because some tactic or equipment has been around for a while, its no good or not safe, even though its been proven through time.

I gotta few;

- Tend to not wear my SCBA strap fastened

- When I turn on my SCBA, it is just a reach behind the back, and a quick turn or two, not fully opened

- Tend to not wear gloves as often as I should
    FTM - PTB

Thread Information