Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default Faux Pas...'fess up!

Have you or your personnel ever made an embarassing mistake? I was reminded of one today while I was out walking the dogs. I passed this house in an executive (read big $$$) neighborhood. We had gone to a carbon monoxide detector activation there a little over a year ago. When we arrived, we were met by a very attractive woman in her mid forties. We went into the house with our CO meter and got a slightly elevated reading in the basement, where the detector had activated. I was telling her of the readings we got when the garage door opened. She said that "Frankie" was home from work and I should speak to her. I got the hint...this home was occupied by a lesbian couple. "Frankie" was what one would call "soft butch"..wearing a pantsuit and matching jacket She was not overly masculine, yet she was not quite feminine....

One of the jakes in my crew had broken his glasses and was waiting for his girlfriend to bring him his spare pair when we went out to the call. He's extremely nearsighted and doesn't see that well without them.

He saw "Frankie" come in from the garage and said "no need to worry sir...everything is all right...the LT is talking to your wife..."

Imagine his surprise when she answered "thank you"!

Anybody else have an embarrassing experience?

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: Captain Gonzo ]
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

dazed and confused

hehe
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

I have had some embarassing calls involving my patient's pets. At one call while everyone worked on an old man who wasn't breathing I noticed that his wee little puppy had snuck outside into the cold. It must have been at least twenty below zero and I thought, "How awful it would be for this poor man to go through all this and then find his puppy frozen solid in his yard!" so I scooped the puppy up. However, everyone kept calling for this or that and I couldn't do anything with a pup in my arms and so I looked around and spied the empty airway bag and had this great idea - I'd stick the pup in the bag, zip it up with just enough space for him to poke his nose out, and quickly fetch the supplies everyone was asking for. (I'm a probie...what do you expect?) As I was stuffing the puppy into the airway bag a few of my superiors saw me and gave me The Look and I quickly came up with another plan!
    At another call we had serious problems with the patient and everyone was working hard to save her. In the middle of everything their short-hair dog managed to slip outside into the cold. After the call while all of the remaining medics, the state troopers, and the family were standing outside I noticed the dog by our other ambulance. It was another one of those cold Alaskan nights and I didn't want the dog to freeze so I reached down and went to grasp his collar so I could lead him back to his house. Well that dog let out a blood-curdling scream and ran all the way back to his house going "Yipe! Yipe! Yipe!" at the top of his lungs while everyone turned and stared at me like I had just beaten the dog or something!
    At another call I managed to trip over the patient's cat and one time I had to extricate a victim's cat from a sofa!
    I love animals but it seems like I'm cursed when I go on a call!
    Probie Name: HurryUpMichelle!!

As far as pets go, we have one guy that was DC a few years back, on a dwelling fire. He was doing his 360 around the house, opened the stockade fence gate and walked in... he RAN out being chased by a BIIIGGGG dog. We've also had working fire calls at places whose owners had some "exotic pets", a house full of snakes, spiders, etc. We started doing an interior attack on this one job, crawling through, and I was met by a Cobra... ready to strike, oh, just about mask high... I "just reacted"... I opened the line and "hit it"... and knocked over the 2 ft tall snake "statue"!

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger on that one FireKatz04. I dropped the damn nozzle when I found that same cobra ready to fill my eyes with spit!

Saw an Assistant Chief one snowy cold night performing his walkaround at a house fire...got to the rear of the house....and fell into the homeowners gold fish pond. Went in waist deep in freezing water. Funniest thing I ever saw. He handled it well though....after we pulled him out, he reached in his shirt pocket for a Marlboro, lit it up, and continued on around the other side of the house as if nothing happened. Way to proud to admit he was freezing to death.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB

Oh my GOD! I'm laughing so hard that everyone in the fire station must think I'm nuts!
    A goldfish pond??? That is classic!!!

Chris, who was my Assistant Chief in Delta, was trying to help me de-fog my face mask and he started to fiddle with my purge valve and scared the bejeebers out of me. After jumping ten feet in the air I batted his hands away and said, "I can see JUST FINE. You don't have to mess with my mask anymore!" and then I marched away and promptly tripped over a log and hit the ground so hard my teeth clacked. I slid a few feet on the wet grass before coming to a halt. A second later I saw boots come into view and I looked up and found a pair of very amused eyes staring down at me. It was, of course, my Assistant Chief! My face must have turned bright red but I picked myself off the ground and howled with laughter!! He joined me after making sure I wasn't hurt. The other firefighters stared at me in shock because I had been so rude! But Chris understood - he was used to terrified probies.
    (I usually don't snap at folks or march off unless I get scared out of my wits hahaha.)

In 1969 we responded to a brush pile near a new home that was burning good. It was Dec. in Ohio and it was COLD 9:30 pm. We decided to just pass the hose along the 20' so we would not have to clean up afterwords since we only were going to use a couple hundred gallons of water. I am standing there passing the hose alone when I noticed pressure on my boots, the old hip boots. Thought I was in a little mud so no big problem.

After about 8 minutes we passed the line back to the truck and got ready to leave. Only one problem, I AM STUCK! It seems I had stepped in a small area of quick sand. The chief and other firefighters thought I was joking until they tried to pull me out.

What started out as a 20 min call total ended up taking two and a half hours.

After trying some things that did not work, I had sunk to chest deep we came up with the following!

They finally put two 1 1/2 inch lines down the sides of my boots and put the pump pressure at 180 lbs, having hooked a rope around me, around a ladder being lifted by 8 firefighters! If you have ever felt COLD WATER going down you pants at that pressure you know what I felt like.

The blood and feeling came back to my legs and feet after about 30 minutes. You should have seen the look on my girl friends family's face when I walked in the door.

Responded to "smoke in basement" and found small clothes dryer fire. Sut power and gas, extinguished with water can, checked for extension, opened windows, let homeowner down to see, and then heard a big commotion outside.

Engineer comes to window and says, "Hey LT, Tommy just got bit by some big fat girl's dog."

Yeah, you're right.

During floods a few years back we evac'ed a family into our boat, and then got our prop caught on their tennis court net.

Forum Member

A few years ago, when I was a probie, we where called to an MVA. Since I was new, the chief (also my father) figured I could do no harm if I stood around and manned a hose line. Once everything was all said and done, the tow truck was lifting the car up onto its flatbed when some fuel leaked out. I was called in to wash down the area. We use a fog nozzle and in in my excitment of actually getting to do something, I pulled the hammer back so I could change the settings! As soon as I figured what I had done, I looked up to see my father (also the chief) soaked from head to toe.... Needless to say, I did a lot of traffic after that.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Just last shift my rescue was working a code with the engine assisting. Apparently the patient's hand was touching the birdcage because when we shocked the patient we defibbed the parrot also. That was pretty entertaining.

Just after I finished my fire fighting class we were called out to a barn fire.It was a rather small fire that was started by an old man (80's) who had burning some leaves and it got too close. we had pretty much has the fire out then one of the guys let me be on the nozzle to finish up and i had seen the old man with a bucket of water trying to put out his leaf fire so i thought i would go over and help him by spraying a little water on it, well i totally forgot to look at the stream setting and opened it wide up, and out come this wide fog water stream, before i even knew what happened i had totally soaked the old guy, i couldnt even see him through the water. i hurried up and shut it down and of course there came my chief behind me with a sarcastic grin and said would ya like to bring the hose over to the actual fire..i felt so bad for the guy but all i could do was laugh..i did appologize though and he was very good about it...

Forum Member

House fire a couple years ago......going pretty good on the second floor in 2 rooms. Got it knocked down, everyone reported to be out of the house, but some pets reported to still be inside. Crews are searching the second floor for the animals, all of a sudden one of the guys hollers "I got one and it's still alive!". We turn around and he's pulling a turtle out of an aquarium, runs over to the window and throws the turtle out the window!
    Fortunately the turtle survived his first experience at flying!

Blacksheep.....still chuckling over the defibbed parrot! How did you explain that one?
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

Back around 1990 my department responded to a mobile home fire with a neighboring department. It was a real hot and humid night and the smoke just stuck to the ground. The trailer was burning pretty good so we were staying outside. I was told by the neighboring chief to take a line to one end of the trailer and finishing puting out the fire there. Smoke was so thick that I could not see much. When I opened the nozzle up it was on straight stream, yeah, I forget to check it. After I knocked the fire down a firefighter came up and told me the chief said not to use a straight stream. I thought it was a little strange since he couldn't see me, but I didn't think any more about it. When we got back to the station, my Captain saitd he was standing in the front yard and a stream of water came out of the smoke and hit the neighboring chief right in the personals and doubled him over. That's went it dawned on me why he had told me not to use a straight stream. I thought it was a good shot.

Blue Grass Army Depot Fire & Emergency Services

About 10 years ago I was on a fatal MVA. The driver was DOA and we left him in the seat until the local police could finish the investigation. We had set up a set of Circle-D's to assist in police in the investigation. I was assisting the police with moving the lights around so they could take photo's. They were potographing the interior of the vehicle with the victim slumped over the steering wheel. I placed the circle-d light on the hood of the car around the windshield. I went to help the officer with the light on the other side of the car when another officer told us that the victims head had smoke coming from it. We went back around and the light had tipped over and was very close to the victims head. It had burnt all the hair off of the top of his head and burnt his scalp. I had to write on the EMS report that the burns did not come from the accident but from our light.

Another time I was on an ambulance assist call when we were bringing the patient out of the house on the stretcher when one of our firefighters helmet fell off as he was bending over and hit the patient in the nose breaking it. That was difficult to explain why we brought in a cardiac patient that also had a bloody and broken nose.
    Clifford Montgomery
    Fire Chief
    Blue Grass Army Depot Fire & Emergency Services

Forum Member

Blacksheep, enquiring minds want to know: What happened to the parrot? Survive, or was that Polly's last cracker?
    HazMat
    ---
    We gotta be nuts...we're running in when the rats & roaches are running out!

Let No Victim's Ghost Say That We Didn't Try
    ---
    Disclaimer:
    These are my opinions, and only mine, and do not reflect the views of my department.

I thinks Blacksheep1 is on Vacation learning some new cooking techniques,(regular or extra crispy) or he could be baby sitting a sick parrot. Anyway I will make sure he gets back on the stick as soon as he comes home.

Let's put it this way, the parrot did better than the patient.

Forum Member

We were doing a body recovery at night at lake near our city, when we brought the boat near the dock we were going to lift it up to get the water out of it. Upon bending down to get a good purchase on the transom down low a large amount of very very cold water went down the front of my dry suit. I let out a yell proclaiming that the water was ----ing cold. it was then that my cheif informed me that those bright lights on shore were the cameras from the local and regional tv stations I later went and apologized to the press for my bad behavior and they assured me that it would not make the 1100 news

I went into my first training burn with my deputy chief. I crawled through the darkness with him following close and I was trying very hard to be brave and strong and all those other impressive qualities. Just when I thought I had it made I fell head-first off of a landing and as I flopped down I heard this loud HISSSSSSSSSSSS behind me. After I found the nozzle and resumed crawling I yelled back and asked my chief what that weird noise was. He cracked up laughing and told me that as I fell I somehow managed to kick his mask right off his face!

So much for making a good impression hehehe

Before I was a fire fighter I hung out with the guys from the fire department I am now a member on. Me and one of the guys had gone out to the movies for something to do and had just gotten back to the station when the siren went off, he jumped out his car, and ran down the side of the building to the bays. The steps that lead down that side of the building are metal and it was winter time...he slipped on some ice and tucked and rolled falling down the 8 stairs. After the trucks left I went inside and shut the bays up for them. When they got back he took off his gear and I noticed that his pants were covered in mud and were wet. I asked him what he did to get that inside his gear. He said "didn't you see me fall down the stairs down the side of the building?" I go "did you hear me laughing?" he goes "no" I go "then obviously I didn't see you!". This same friend moved out west for a couple of years right after I joined the department so he missed the couple of stupid things I did after I joined. So Mike, this is for you! The staircase in our building (we have a new one now that we built an addition) used to be an old metal spiral one person wide staircase. One meeting night we had a call and a bunch of the guys ran down the stairs. I turned off the stove and ran down after them but the stairs were wet and I slipped and missed the bottom stair spraining my ankle badly. They were yelling for me to get on the truck and I waved them to go with out me. It turned out to be a false alarm! About 40 minutes later we got toned out for a possible structure. I went on this one and limped my way around the side of the house and did the venting for the guys inside. My Chief saw me and made me go up to the ambulance to get checked out. Totally embarrasing. At the annual dinner I got a step and a piece of the railing from the old staircase and was told to hold on next time! I also signed the station on for a test twcie in two weeks (the first time was my Capt's fault cause he made me sign the station on even though he didn't know what we had), and had an accident on the way to a call...this definitely was not my fault. It was in a blizzard and the roads had about 3 inches of ice on them and it had been snowing for about 5 hours straight...I was only going about 10 miles an hour, but I hit some ice and couldn't get my SUV back on the road going straight. Luckily I hit a small tree - right next to my friend Mike's (see above) house (luckily he was still out west) - and didn't get hurt. So I got tow straps for the accident and a tiara for being the queen of signing on the station. What a night! Three of the 5 awards came to me. UGH! I wanted to die, and the 70 guests that were there got a kick out of it. I got teased all night long....good thing I can laugh at myself!!!!
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

In a small town next to mine. The POLICE got a call for the never ending cat in the tree call... But This was a good one, We all know you will never find cop up a tree, We call our finest 'the Fire Dept." They set up there ladder truck to "SAVE THE CAT' and by now with police and fire on the seen. many people started watching the rescue...

They did it, got cat out of the tree, everybody clapping...But as the ladder truck was backing out of driveway you will never belive what the back Two wheels ran over...YES Fritx the same cat....

So much for that good will on that call

Blacksheep1,
    I'm still laughing. All I can think of is the Monty Python skit about the dead bird in the pet store. "The bloody thing is dead"
    What a riot.

Well, lemme tell y'all somthin.
    We had an FI trailer (unoccupied) about 2 blocks from sta #1. Chief and I are around the rear knockin' it down-so far it's fire 0, VFD 3. (3 sides knocked down).
    Next thing I know, as we are moving along the rear of the structure, the power cone goes VERTICAL, and I am looking down at my Chief--tripped over a big flower pot! HA HA, I was dying! "Chief, are ha-ha, you ha-ha, okay?"

Take us around to the front of the structure, about an hour or so later.....
    I'm in with the AI's trying to figure out things with them, (turned out to be intentionally set off.) So I walk out the front door across the front deck to the porch to go get another light..... and miss the top step entirely. Of course I did a graceful flop face first into one of the mud puddles we created--bunker gear, after all, allows one to display unheralded grace and agility. As I got up hoping no one saw, I realized that no ONE saw. The ENTIRE first in crew, along with all the medics, the S.O., county Fire Marshal, and probably half of Huffman, were there in attendance next to the Tanker. At least they were a good crowd.
    Sign me Klutz.

Then, last week, as if the above mentioned embarrasment was not enough, I manage to find the only foot sized hole close enough to our brush truck (on an MVA) to make me completely disappear from sight in front of county deputies AND our medics.
    If it weren't for BAD luck.......
    Oklahoma Bound!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information