Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: SCOTT Airpacks

Default SCOTT Airpacks

Just wondering if anybody has heard that NFPA and NIOSH are pondering the idea of changing there respiratory protection standards to make 2216 psi obsolete, and make 3000 psi and 4500 psi standard for the fire service. I've heard some rumors from Scott sales reps but nothing concrete. I was wondering because with Luxfer putting a "safety warning" on all cylinders made before 1989, my F.D. wants to replace our aluminum cylinders. We just don't want to replace with 2.2 and find out that they will have to be replaced in a couple of years with 4.5.
    LEATHER FOREVER

why not just go with 4500's?

Forum Member

We upgraded to the SCOTT 4.5's 3 years ago. We replaced 8 of the old 2a's (thank god!) and had our remaining 2.2's retro-fitted to 4.5's it was fairly inexpensive and saved us from buying a whole bunch of new packs that we couldn't afford. Ask your sales rep.

-Nick

It's just that Captain, a rumor. They are trying to make a light end of their problem with the 2216 Scott cylinders at that time. Luxfer just got a 5yr hydro approved from the DOT on the 2216 and 4500 psi Carbon Fiber cylinder that they manufacture.

Well I think that 4.5's would be nice, but if you can only afford 2.2 carbon bottles, then do that and save the members backs.
    Riese

There are pros and cons of both. The 4500 carbon fiber are smaller than the 2216 but surprisingly the 2216 are a smidge lighter. Remember too that 4500 bottles are more taxing on cascade filling systems operating at pressures below 6000psi.

If you go with the Scott Pac 50 in 2216 or 4500 you will not be disappointed.

Just to let you know if you haven't figured it out already, The 4500's take a little more muscle to fill than the old 2200s. If you already have a cascade system you can obtain a booster pump. This takes the residual pressure from your cascade system and "boosts" (hence the name)it up to a higher pressure so you can still fill the 4500s at a reasonably fast rate, otherwise it can take forever. The idea is that the volume is there, but not the pressure. The beauty of this pump is that it already uses breathing air from the cylinder, so you don't have to mickey mouse around with an air purefication system. I hope it helps.

Thanks for all the advice, but I'm still wondering if the standards are going to change. We are going to go to 4.5 sometime soon, but I'd like to pass on to some of the smaller F.D.s in my county if they are going to have to look into replacing because of the change to make 2.2 obsolete.
    LEATHER FOREVER

Thread Information