Thread: leather boots

Default leather boots

i was just wondering what brand and style of leather boots everyone had and if they liked them. right now i have pro pull-ups that i love, and i`m going to order a pair of 10" zippered boots,but not sure what brand yet.

LaCrosse leather pull ons here. Like them very much

Forum Member

We use Thourougoods and Warringtons (I'm sure those are both spelled wrong). We're having some problems with the longevity of the Thourougoods but the Warringtons seem to be holding up great, and they're both very comfortable.

MembersZone Subscriber

I currently use Warrenton's, and they have also held up longer, and to me are more comfortable then Rangers, and Thorogood's. Especially for us truckie's.

===========================================
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

I have used Ranger leather pull on Bunker Boots for the last 4 years. They have held up good, although the toes are stating to fray on the toe cap. They are very comfortable and hands down better than any Rubber Bunker Boot that I have tried. Granted we dont have a lot of fires in our district But average about 200 calls a year.

I personally have not had any problems with my Thorogood pull on leathers other than the leather pull up straps ripping. Other than that they fit great and are extremely comfortable to me.

another thing, i heard that D.C. firefighters were not aloud to wear leather boots and helmets any more.anybody else know anything about this.

Warrington Pro pull on. Very comfortable better than average traction on the snow. The first generation one the traction was very bad. They now have a vibram sole.

it's true about D.C. go to www.foolsinternational.com and go to the guest book first entry yesterday was that as of 07-01-01 there are no more leather helmets or boots

ps I have the Thorogoods, I have had them for about 5 years now they have held up very well

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: wsfiremn ]
    wsfiremn
    Member IACOJ
    FTM PTB FSU EGH RFB 9-11
    Double Duece
    PROUD MEMBER
    FOOLS INTERNATIONAL

MembersZone Subscriber

Thorogood 14in bunkers and 10in Black Diamond zip-ups. Both are great.I've been wearing them for over a year and have had no issues with either pair.
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

I've got pull on Black Diamond Leather boots, just got them a few days ago , havent' had the chance to use 'em yet, but I love them already!

rangers....they are very comfy..good traction...the only problem with them is that kevlar toe cover...1 roof job and they were shot..that is the only problem i have had with them... I have learned 1 lesson with them..a hint to those of u that have them and have not heard this...ALWAYS wear socks with them...i got up for a run one morning and forgot socks..had a hell of a time gettin my foot out..other than that the boots are great
    stay safe...
    biv

Forum Member

I have a pair of pull ups called crosstech. I bought them off of the chief because they wouldn't fit him. They are better than any rubber boot I've ever worn and very comfortable.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

pro warrington's pull ups... best fire boot out there, i love the box toes as compared to the rounded toes of the ranger boots and such...
    Shevais M. Shrum
    Western Wake Fire Rescue

Hey JEG532,

Just for your info, DC firefighters are once again allowed to wear leather helmets and boots.

For a short time (about 1 week), an order was issued by our illustrious fire chief which stated that we were no longer permitted to wear non-issued (i.e. leather) helmets or boots. However, thanks to some political pressure via our union and some members of the city council, the fire chief recinded the order, and we are once again permitted to wear these items.

As for boots, I wear the Warrington Pro boot, and have been for several years. They are extremely comfortable and light weight. I also feel that they provide grater protection than some of the other brands. I was in a fire where 2 of my crew members, who were wearing Ranger leather boots, recieved second degree burns to their feet and ankles. I was wearing Pro boots, and, even though I was in the the same proximity as them, recieved no burns to my feet or ankles (although I was burned on my calfs above the boot line.)

We originally got the Ranger pull ups, but switched to Warrington. We will be staying with the Warrington because they hold up better. I liked my pull ups so much I bought a pair of 10 in zips for work, and haven't regretted it yet, especially in snow and rain....
    My views are, of course, mine alone, and do not necessarily represent the opinion of my station

"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. " ~ Robert Ingersoll

GBordas
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have the Warrington Pro 4000 model pull up boots which has the upper part of the boot made of kevlar/nomex. It is even lighter than the full leather boot and breathes better as well. I like them much better than the rubber boots because of the better fit and lighter weight.

MembersZone Subscriber

I strongly recommend Warrington Pro boots. I wear the 10" zip ups and love them. They are fairly warm but the support is great and they are very durable. One of the other Lts. that I work with has a pair of the Warr. Pro pull on bunker boots and he swears by them. Neither of us have ever had a single problem.

FYI- for wildfirre boots I reccommend the Smokejumper model from Drew's boots. They take a while to break in but are great after a month or two.

Scott

District Chief

I have used the old Ricco Maximizers, then the Pro boot and then the Black Diamond. I think that while Pro used to be the most comfortable..that has changed.... The newly designed and modified 9" Black Diamond is way way more comfortable.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Got issued a pair of Ranger 14"pull ups about a year ago and I'm really pleased with them they have held up great so far and have been real comfortable, and haven't started to come apart at all. We do quite a few of extracations in our Dept. and so far the toes have held up great. one problem for my Engineer is that the leather in the heel of his boot is sagging a bit and isin't staying up well but thats about the only complaint Iv'e heard from my end so far
    Keep it safe !
    paradise Firefighter

Just bought a pair of Black Biamonds. I've worn them already to a training school this past weekend doing live burns.

Love them! Will never go back to rubber boots again!
    We're all in this together. FDNY 9-11-01

Thread Information