Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Jolly Roger
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default What Do You Think Is The Most Important Tool A Ric Team Should Have With Them?

I saw the questionaire on the Firehouse.com front page and thought it would be a good topic in here. I personally would like to see all of the items mentioned... yet the poll only allowed for one answer.

What is your opinion?

Well, I would have to say a TIC. I did some research on the use of RIT's(RIC, FAST, same thing) last semester for a presentation and found that for the most part, the RIT's are implemented not becuase the firefighter is trapped, but rather, lost, and in those situations, when the one on the inside doesn't know where they are, and the ones on the outside don't know either, there is no tool more valuable than a thermal imaging camera. Just 2 cents worth from a civie.

I answered the question in the firehouse.com "firepole" and picked TIC.

In reality, the best most important tool that a RIC team should have is the training and knowledge in rapid intervention techniques
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Capt. that's funny I thought the same exact thing when I was browsing through today's topic. I decided not to post it though figuring it would end up being in a ****ing contest. I'm gonna add on that I feel its the experience and knowledge of general firefighting, and our equipment. Including that of rapid intervention. You should know basic tools inside and out. These are situations where being calm, cool and collective are a must. Where conditions are already against you, this isn't for the beginner.

============================== ==============
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

I noticed that spare air or a way to tie in and buddy breathe was not on the list of selected items. Although I feel that all the tools listed on the questionaire were all somewhat impotant, there was no listing for spare air. If you think about it, when you have to look for a lost or trapped man, by the time you get to them and sometimes before they call you they are already running low on air. Just my opinion.

The most important tool for a RIC team (or any FF) -- their BRAIN!

Without the training, knowledge,life experience etc that your brain holds, you're really just taking up space.

After all without proper training on how to use them, all the tools in the world will never help you.

I know it's a very idealistic opinion, but somebody had to do it!

Stay Safe!

I agree with FFtrainer. Not only the brains of the rit team, but the smarts of the guy(s) they're going in for. That they should also keep their wits about them and help the rit team to find/rescue them.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would just like to say that no 1 tool is the answer.Its the combination of training and knowledge of tools. Also the ability to put them both together to help our brothers and anyone else in trouble.

i would personnely carry a TIC, but you also need a back-up just in case. but i would agree the one thing more important than any tool is the training and experience. you have to have a certain comfort feeling in those situations,if you get to excited you`d be out of air within 15 minutes.

But #1 tool I would take is a rope (of course, along with the TIC - but still many depts dont have one!). Rope has always been useful for me in S&R. Technology can fail. So we should never forget our basics!
    We're all in this together. FDNY 9-11-01

Jolly Roger
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lots of EXCELLENT answers! Keep 'em coming!

I have to agree with many of the other posts. I particularly like the fact that most firemen get lost inside the buildings, and not trapped. Because of this fact, I would put search techniques and experience high on my list for important "tools". The hardest part about a RIC assignmet is finding the person before they get into worse trouble. Searching inside a fire building is, at it's very least, an extremely demanding task.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our RIT team's most important tool is their training and common sense. We do not have an individual tool bag. We came to the conclusion that there were too many variables to come up with an individual bag. So our procedure is to assign an engine company as the RIT team and their tool - the engine. We did add some unique items to RIT on the engine to provide some additional options, including TIC, Rope bags, and one in particular, was a half-Sked. This tool will amaze you at how easy it is to use for dragging in an extra airpack and mask, and to drag out the fallen comrade. Just a few thoughts.
    Firefighter/Paramedic Ron Sanders
    Midvale Fire Department
    Medic Ambulance 22 - A Platoon

Firefighters, Walking where the Devil Danced!

This is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

Personal Website: http://RonSanders.Biz Check it Out!

TIC But this alone is not near enough personally would like to see set of irons,light,saw,and rope to mention a few essential items.
    Firefighter/NREMT-P/Public Safety Diver
    May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

fireeater650 makes an EXCELLENT point about air, and from my experience carrying in one or two spare bottles just isn't good enough - drag a whole spare SCBA in with you, there's always the chance that the trapped firefighter's SCBA may be damaged or that the air line to his bottle may be unaccessible due to debris etc.

Forum Member

A tic is going to help you find the guys a rope is great to find your way out, extra scba will keep your brother alive a little while longer BUT the only thing that is going to get you or other out of trouble is a set of Irons. Have fun breaching a plaster and lath wall with your Tic. How can a rope pry a beam off of my legs. Do not get me wrong all thoes thing help and are great to have but the irons are to important to forget. My department has 10 sets of irons between 2 pumps a rescue and a truck co (1 set for each 2 person team. The one thing I hate to see is on a multi alarm fire to come out of the building to see the rit group with a hunk of rope a stokes basket and a tic and nothing else

All the previous mentioned answers plus....

Someone capable of dragging a 250-300lb firefighter plus a spare tank, TIC, rope and a couple of tools.

You might be able to find them, but them you gotta have some strong backs to get them out.

Thread Information