Default Males in the Firehouse

I am the only 5'11" 215# male firefighter on a fire dept. (Captain on the first out pumper as well) of about 200 personnel. The 5'11"/lighter, 5'11"/heavier, shorter/lighter, shorter/heavier, taller/lighter, taller/heavier, stronger, weaker and the uglier guys and gals treat me with respect, I do my job, and there are no problems. What experiences have you had with 5'11" 215# male firefighters? Do you think your firehouse would accept a 5'11" 215# guy as an equal? Are 5'11" 215# men capable of doing the job? Please share your thoughts.

(I couldn't resist)

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: mongofire_99 ]
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

You go guy!!! Enough with the politically correct questions huh??

well said, not to mention VERY FUNNY!!!

Mongofire,

I can foresee a few problems, but I do think you can overcome them with a little time. First, being the only 5'll", 215 lb. male, you may find some of the other firefighters lust after you and can't keep their minds centered on thier jobs. Thier conversations about sex or personal hygiene may stop in mid sentence, so as not to embarrass you. Due to your size, you'll probably be put at the front of the hose line all the time, and you'll never get to sit in the front seat of the cab. Considering your size, if the military has weight restrictions, don't you think it only fair that fire departments have those same restrictions? And don't get your feelings hurt if you overhear the words "macho" or "sexist pig" in the same sentence with your name, those are really words of endearment.
    Oh, and I forgot, due to the fact that you're a big male, the standards will probably be different for you than most. The grenade you throw will probably weigh a couple of pounds more than the female firefighters throw.
    You just do your job, hon, in time you'll be accepted, and who knows one of them may have to depend on you to save their life.

(Sorry Mongo, I couldn't resist either)

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: comwhite ]

Forum Member

Mongo..you have me rotflmao! Touche!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Mongo...

Don't sleep on your stomach.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Mongo...I see your point...Sounds like you should be given preference for entry level examinations and promotional exams.

IACOJ Agitator

touché

It might be a little rough at first, but after you provide years of hard work, we might come to accept you as an equal.

Mongo,
    if some of the smaller firefighters were behind you on the hose, they would have some protection if something exploded. most departments would welcome firefighters of your stature and abilities with open arms and grant you automatic passes on any type of test. keep up the good work.
    LC

Jolly Roger
    Firehouse.com Guest

You did forget one thing, though, mongofire_99. I shall explain.

I am the youngest bald firefighter on the job, in my early 30's, I am almost as bald as some of the fellas with 25+ yrs on the job! So I think that the question should also include the amount of hair on ones head.

With a lot of self realization, I've come to accept my baldness! & Gosh darnit, so can everyone else!

(I, too, couldn't resist!)

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]

Mongo,

I think all posts should stop until we hear from the all-knowing, all-seeing, Althea Forhan, whose year (maybe two) experience as an explorer far outweighs anything we have seen in the fire service.

hahahah OK OK I get the humor, especially since I am the one that posted the Women in the firehouse forum. I understand that you as men will never get what many of us go through and so to you it is all a joke or a big waste of time to discuss. I get the humor in this and appreciate it. But also feel that my forum was a good one. Hell, it is 10 pages long now so a lot of people had lots to say...both good and bad and generated a lot of good back and forth conversation (ok arguing, I was trying to be nice haha). Thanks again for the laugh!! Take care and be safe.
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

only 215#'s ????? I don't know if I'd feel safe hiding behind you unless you were at least 350!
    Probie Name: HurryUpMichelle!!

"I am the youngest bald firefighter on the job, in my early 30's, I am almost as bald as some of the fellas with 25+ yrs on the job!"

Althea's mom says "Get ahold of Christine Lavins' CD that has the song "Bald-headed men" on it. You'll love it, just like some people love Patrick Stewart, Yuhl Brenner, Michael Jordan... the list goes on.
    Althea Forhan
    FDNY 343:"Forever your power and strength stays with me"

OH - MY - GAWD

I had no idea there was such a stong base of support out here for me *sniffle*.

fireman_387

Enough with the politically correct questions huh??

Yeah! Way past enough!

ff24

well said, not to mention VERY FUNNY!!!

Who's trying to be funny? I want to be special and recognized for who/what I am .

comwhite

First, being the only 5'll", 215 lb. male, you may find some of the other firefighters lust after you and can't keep their minds centered on thier jobs.

So far it's just been the female-firefighters - and that one guy, but he didn't last too long...

Thier conversations about sex or personal hygiene may stop in mid sentence, so as not to embarrass you.

Embarrass? Me?

Due to your size, you'll probably be put at the front of the hose line all the time,

And that's a bad thing why?

and you'll never get to sit in the front seat of the cab.

But I'm the first due company officer, I can sit anywhere I want!

Considering your size, if the military has weight restrictions, don't you think it only fair that fire departments have those same restrictions?

Yes!

My FD goes by bodyfat percentage instead of the old MetLife or BMI chart, so at 11% I'm in good shape as far as weight restrictions. I could be 350 and as long as I wasn't over 20% I'd still be OK, and if I was 11% at 350, maybe Mr. Olympia!

And don't get your feelings hurt if you overhear the words "macho" or "sexist pig" in the same sentence with your name, those are really words of endearment.

OK! Thanks! 'cause that stuff was really starting to bother me. Lowering my self-esteem and all.

Oh, and I forgot, due to the fact that you're a big male, the standards will probably be different for you than most.

WOW!

They were!

When I hired on, the physical agility test was SOOOOOO hard! A two mile run, ladder carry, set and raise, hose pack up the stairs, all in 3/4 boots, coat, helmet, gloves and SCBA. Now it's a breeze, practically anyone can pass it.

The grenade you throw will probably weigh a couple of pounds more than the female firefighters throw.

I just hope they can throw it far enough...

You just do your job, hon, in time you'll be accepted,

Thanks, I wish you were close by so I could get a hug.

and who knows one of them may have to depend on you to save their life.

Again?!

(Sorry Mongo, I couldn't resist either)

I am a hard one to resist .

Captain Gonzo

you have me rotflmao! Touche!

Thanks Cap, you humble me.

BTW, did I ever congrats you on the promo? If not or even if I did, CONGRATS!

Phildabox

Don't sleep on your stomach.

Thanks for the tip. That'll help to keep me from drooling on the pillow?

And what does this mean?

FTM-PTB-EGH

MikeHunt

...Sounds like you should be given preference for entry level examinations and promotional exams.

Thanks, but I think I've promoted as far as I wanna go. Too much paperwork at the captain slot now. I ain't interested in an admin job at all. I'd rather stay with the crew.

A question for you if I may...

Is your real name MikeHunt?

Adze

It might be a little rough at first,

It was, but after nealy 20 years, things are starting to settle down.

larry cook

if some of the smaller firefighters were behind you on the hose, they would have some protection if something exploded.

What if it was me that exploded?

Jolly Roger

You did forget one thing, .....I am the youngest bald firefighter...

You're naturally bald? Awesome, I envy you. I have to shave my head.

Here it is again...

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB

What does it mean?

ntvilleff

I think all posts should stop until we hear from the all-knowing, all-seeing, Althea Forhan...

Oh I hope we don't stop, I'm feeling so empowered and I fear one of her posts would just bring me down.

hctrouble25

...especially since I am the one that posted the Women in the firehouse forum.

I failed to give you credit, but I figured everyone would know.

I understand that you as men will never get what many of us go through...

Yeah, you're right. Male blacks, mexicans, jews, asians, gays, wimps, et al are/were never ever discriminated against...

and so to you it is all a joke or a big waste of time to discuss.

Initially (20 years ago) it wasn't. Today...

But also feel that my forum was a good one.

OK

Hell, it is 10 pages long now so a lot of people had lots to say...

I see it as a few people had a lot to say, not a lot of people had a lot to say. Tomato - tomato.

Michelle Latham

only 215#'s ????? I don't know if I'd feel safe hiding behind you unless you were at least 350!

I can bench 400#.

Althea Forhan

You'll love it, just like some people love Patrick Stewart, Yuhl Brenner, Michael Jordan... the list goes on.

Mongo's bald too!

So, if this is Altheas mom - do you have a picture?

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: mongofire_99 ]
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

I too rotflmao. But then I had to go and get serious. You my friend are a MINORITY. I hope you work in a jurisdiction that has EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK! And I had a question concerning hair. Is it you that are bald, or was that someone that replied to you? If you ARE bald, is it for religeous reasons?

MONGOis on the cutting edge of witticismic cynicism. Ya' got me rotflmao!

ROFLMAO!!!

The correct term is NOT "bald", its "scalpal follically challenged"

Unless, of course, you're a Hari Krishna. Then it's for religious reasons. Then its not a disability.

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: bgfdchick ]
    We're all in this together. FDNY 9-11-01

Firekatz04

You my friend are a MINORITY.

How'd you guess?

I hope you work in a jurisdiction that has EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK!

Nope. Depending on how you look at it...

Some of us get equal pay for less work and consequently some get equal pay for more work - if you know what I mean.

For those that don't know what I mean, give me a few seconds to 'splain:

Me and my merry band of firefighters get the same pay whilst we are in there bustin' our hump as the firefighter that's hiding in the engine fumbling with his SCBA.

So...

Depending on how you look at it we get equal pay for more work or he gets equal pay for less work. Half dozen of one six of the other...

Is it you that are bald, or was that someone that replied to you?

Both, I shave it during the summer. Jolly Roger (that replied on p.1) is a natural baldy.

If you ARE bald, is it for religeous reasons?

Nope. Grew the beard for that.

ntvilleff

...the cutting edge of witticismic cynicism.

Witticismic?

bgfdchick

...you're a Hari Krishna.

OK, nit-picking here; it's George Harrison, uh I mean, Hare Krishna.

Whoever said "the last man standing - wins" never asked a chick to play

In the spirit of the good will that has been shown to me throughout this discussion of my sense of self worth, I think I'll just leave this one alone...

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: mongofire_99 ]

Mongo,
    Thank you for the opportunity to view the "lighter side". Sometimes it does all of us good to be able to laugh at ourselves, and put things in proper prospective. I pray that as each of you deal with the seriousness of your occupation, you are always able to see the "lighter side".

If you were here, I'd probably give you a "big hug". Take care

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: hctrouble25 ]
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

MembersZone Subscriber

I really try to stay out of bickering in these forums, but once in a while I just get fed up.

This particular forum is a light hearted look at something started by Mongofire - humor only - and it seems that MOST people have left it that way. Everyone is being poked fun at and there is nothing wrong with that.

HC you have posted in numerous forums. I may be wrong but I would guess you are very young, you certainly haven't been in the business very long or you would have stopped this awful habit you have of making a mountain out of a mole hill and constantly trying to restate your position. I can only imagine what you must be like at training.

Sometimes you have valid points, but you don't seem to get the fact that not everyone will or SHOULD agree with you. You seem to feel that people are attacking you, however I have yet to see that. All I see is a sharing of ideas and opinions which is the entire point of these forums.

You also have to remember that this is a national forum and that things are different from one part of the country to another. There are different traditions, protocols and social/cultural make-up.

If you continue to write long, emotional, ranting replies people will not only ignore what you have to say, but you invite intentional taunting.

People do get your points, and some agree and some don't. Some that disagree have good reasons, some don't - live with it and go on.

I am a firefighter, and the Chief of a Technical Rescue Squad. I happen to be female. I am generally happy to see other females get into the business, except when their attitudes and mouths precede their brains into a room (or forum). In general I take issue with those that make the rest of us look bad.

Please think before you type and learn to choose your battles and be more accepting of others right to have an opinion that doesn't match yours.

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: NCRSQ751 ]
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

Forum Member

I too am 5'11" 218# and have been discriminated against my whole life. I have what some may call a disability, others may call it a stroke of bad luck. I was born with a handicap that affects 20% of the population. While the other 80% just sits back and laughs.

I AM LEFT HANDED !! There I said it, I am already starting to feel better.
    Do some of you know the obstacles we southpaws have to overcome? Please allow me to list a few.
    Try to open a can of tuna left handed.
    Or use a potato peeler.
    Shoot a bolt action rifle.
    Use a circular saw.
    Write on one of those school desks.
    Just try to buy the golf clubs you want.
    Open your SCBA bottle on your back.
    Pull start your lawn mower.
    Or use the mouse on the station computer.

I'm sure theres more, but you get my point.
    Us lefties should start a revolt against the
    "Right Man". Make this a better place to live for people of the right mind.
    Thank You.
    IAFF

hctrouble25

you have misinterpreted what I have said.

No I didn't. You're whining about being treated differently (discrimination) with statements like this "I understand that you as men will never get what many of us go through..."

Discrimination is WRONG missy. I don't care if the person being discriminated against is male, female, white black, brown, or green.

I don't bother to grade it.

...instead of just accepting that you had to go and be a jackass again.

First, you could have picked something stronger to base your arguement that I'm a jackass on. Trust me there's plenty of proof out there and more to come.

Secondly, since you can't articulate your point, that makes me a jackass?

Thridly, should read ...instead of just accepting that, you had to go and be a jackass again.

...I will treat you like the jackass that you are.

Promise?

I will treat you like I would treat any other jackass out there.

Should read "I will treat you like I treat any other jackass out there."

You know, maybe Hooked on Phonics would help you.

...don't tell me what issues affect me as a woman on a daily basis in the fire service.

I could care less what issues affect you as a woman in the fire service on a daily basis. I care about what affects firefighters on a daily basis.

...simply that as a woman I am sometimes discriminated against in the area that I live in.

But you said "The guys treat me with respect, I do my job, and there are no problems."

If there are no problems, how can you be discriminated against?

Instead of being such a jackass just accept that you don't know me,

Even if I knew you, I'd still be a jackass.

...and you shouldn't speak to things that you don't understand.

Are you willing to take your own advice?

...I certainly didn't expect you to be disrepectful towards me.

Please point out my statement that you interpreted as disrespectful to you. Surely it was something better than this one:

"Yeah, you're right. Male blacks, mexicans, jews, asians, gays, wimps, et al are/were never ever discriminated against..."

You're not that thin skinned are you?

I mean since you seem to have all the answers and know everything about me I should probably just not argue with you and let you educate me and everyone else out there about what it is like to be me.

To be honest, I think you've done a pretty good job of that yourself. You don't need my help at all. My Sam Houston is off to you.

...I don't appreciate you being a jerk.

Well, I can be. And stubborn, strong willed, opinionated, honest, Call it what you like, I pull no punches.

So I will say it very slowly again....I am a Female Fire Fighter.

You know, you can't see the forest for the trees can you sister? Let me say it slowly for you:

With a few exceptions, NOBODY CARES!

All that matters to most of us is 'can you do the job?'

Are you hard of reading or what?

You wouldn't even be here if it weren't for the women ahead of you fighting for it and an end to segregating terms and guys like eCappy and me standing up and saying "Send her to my company, I'll give her a shot."

I don't want special treatment...

If you say so...

You are called a FireMAN, I am a female fire fighter or firewoman. Simple.

No ma'am, I am a firefighter, the job description says so - said it when I hired on too. So is Bubba, the chick sitting here in the day room watching the soaps and Hector, the guy from Poland snoozing on the couch. If you choose to use slang terms from years gone by to segregate others from yourself based on their genitals, that's too bad for you.

Next, I never ask for special treatment,

Never said you asked for special treatment, I said you wanted recognition for being a female. It's no longer a great accomplishment to be in your position. The great accomplishments with women in the fire service came long before you did.

As for this only being a issue 20 years ago and not today...well how would you know? Tell me that.

I was around twenty years ago. One of my first 'mentors' was a woman. She only did EMS though.

...a little more willing to hear what others have to say.

I'm willing to listen to others as long as they're not blaming others for the decisions they themselves made and continue to make.

If all that fails...try that Hooked on Phonics thing...I hear it works wonders.

It does, for word recognition. Comprehension is another matter.

Oh and yes I can be a *itch when I want to be....any woman that speaks her mind and does not back down is.

Really?

I wouldn't dare make this generalization.

Is this another one of those excuses women use when men don't like having them around or, because they (not all women) feel they (again not all women) have to be right all the time or, throw their (again not all women) weight around if they're (again not all women) in charge to prove they're (again not all women) in charge?

Yeah, we men feel this way.

News flash sister, it's never simply because some women are a b^&ch, that's too easy to live with, we have been doing it for centuries.

It's because some women b^&ch too much, especially about little things that don't amount to a hill of beans.

...but be willing to take one too.

Anytime baby!

NCRSQ751

Simply awesome post.

snowball

You've got three pounds on me and you're a lefty. Start your own topic.

Hey, I'm glad you said it out loud and now the healing from all that emotional bagage you're carrying can begin.

Hey you know, maybe you can help me here.

I've been around for a long time and I've seen a bunch-o-stuff, but one thing I haven't seen (that I can recall) is how a lefty intubates someone? Are you switch hitters here or what?

Banned

H.C.

Please listen to Susan and shut the F%^$ up. Just had to get that off my hairy chest.........

Thread Information