Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Best position at a job?

Does anyone out there believe there can be a better position at a good job than to be the first due nozzleman?

I know some of you are already thinking, "making a grab", but I'm talking about a given position:

ROOF, NOZZLE, OVM, DRIVER, IC...etc

And for all you truckies out there, don't knock the knob. If you didn't like it, you wouldn't spend so much time trying to trick the Johnnies in to giving it to you.

For me, first due nozzleperson (politically correct, remember?) is tied with first due company officer.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

I'll go with Mongo....if not on the knob at a worker...then riding the seat as first due officer. Hard to top those two slots.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB

I would have to go with being the first-in nozzleman. A close second would be with the rescue company doing the primary searches.

I think that being the Chauffer/MPO is one of the best jobs, not the most glamorous, but that person is responsible for getting the apparatus to the scene safetly, and is in charge of making sure the nozzle person has the water when they need to do their job. So, without the MPO doing their job correctly, you'd never get to the fire, and never get your water to do your job.
    Neptune 33

All positions. No particular one is better for me than the others.

If not on the first nozzle, then I get a kick out of flying the bucket. Also you get more chances to make the paper flying

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: ntvilleff ]

I like riding the bar (forcible entry) on the first due truck company myself. Riding as the first due nozzleman is fun, but I like the truck better.

Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

1st- Pipeman( give me the pipe and leave me alone).
    2nd- 1st in Engine Officer
    3rd- Tillerman/Ventilation
    4th- Being just a plain old grunt.

I'm w/ MB ... inside team on the truck is my spot. It's great when the engine and truck respond together and the S&R team from the truck and the line team from the engine can work together.

Stay Safe

Without a doubt - first due nozzleman because that's the only job I've seen my firefighters fight each other for.

OVM or roofman, then nozzleman

I'm with mongo on this one. I either wanna be on the knob or first in engine officer. After that SAR then Roof.

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Lewiston2Capt ]
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

when i was a probie i thought that the nob was the job,then i spent 10 years in a busy truck and thought that the irons (f/e)was the place to be,but now i really know that being the rescue chauf is all i ever wanted to do(youth is wasted on the young i guess). as for being an officer i guess i will never know about that.

Nope... First in Pipeman

Company officer, first due apparatus (we run quints). Been a ff and engineer (both engine and rescue) and I love the challenge of makin' or breakin' a fire with those initial decisions. Besides, I go in with the pipeman and make the kill with him. Got a thermal imager to watch the action as he puts it down. Doesn't get any better.
    Captain Dave Kupfer
    Metro West FPD
    St. Louis County, MO

Besides, I go in with the pipeman and make the kill with him. Got a thermal imager to watch the action as he puts it down. Doesn't get any better.

YESSIR! My sentiments exactly.

And I might add, being the CO you can say "junior why don't you take us in on this one and give ol' mongo the nozzle."
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Rescue2Bob...what does the Rescue company chauffer do? I know that an engine chauffer operates the pump, and the truck chauffer usually is on the turntable..but what about the Rescue Chaf?
    Buster

Forum Member

LOL if you ask the other brothers from the FDNY they will tell you WHAT EVER HE WANTS (with a slight edge in the voice). but really we operate in 3 teams. short of a direct order from the chief on scene the chauf. goes to the fire floor.

Forum Member

In my opinion, the best position at a job is OVM(outside vent man) on the first due ladder company.VES

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: FitzBFDT2 ]
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry
    Captain, Rescue Company 1
    City of Bayonne (NJ) Fire Department

Thread Information