Thread: rescue wrench

Default rescue wrench

I recently purchased the TFT Rescue Wrench from Galls, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Anyone had any experience with one? Just wondering if it was a wise decision.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear,
    It is the ability to press on in spite of it!"

Brian Hyland, USAF Firefighter

Yeah I got one...doesn't get much use except for the window tap and the seatbelt cutter. Takes up alot of room in my pocket. Just one more gadget for my gear that's all.
    Mike DeVuono
    FF/EMT

"There are few atheists inside a burning building."

These are my opinions and not those of my department.

My training division was good enough to get one for me to try out strictly for the 5" wrench option. The first thing I noticed is that you definitly need two of these wrench's if you are trying to release the locking lugs on the 5" storz couplings. This was our main reason for the test and as yet is the only wrench we have tried that will work on 3 of our 5 different brands of couplings. This is one of the short falls when you buy from a different manufacturer each time because of the cities low bid requirement. As for the seat belt cutter, I called Gall's to see if the blade was able to be replaced when it wears/dulls out and was told no. I'm sure you won't get many cuts with it due the thickness of the seat belt material. I also didn't like the placement of the window punch. If you hold the wrench in your hand in the open position and snap it closed, as one is tempted to do, that nice little pointed thingie likes to go right into your hand. It is in the area of the gas shutoff use that I think it will break if encountering a badly stiff/stuck valve, it just does'nt seem that it will take much of the sideways leverage necessary. AT $25.00 a piece I don't see many F/F's buying the necessary two, to keep in your bunker gear, plus they are quite large. I think it should just be a straight solid piece like any other spanner wrench and just keep a window punch and a small knife in your bunker gear for the other occurance's.

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Billy Mott ]

I have one of the wrenches, I won it at our last ladies night in december. After I got it i went to the local hardware store and got an eye bolt and a cheap carabiner, and rigged it up so it would hang from the drainage hole in my radio packet on my bunker gear. And hanging from radio pocket has been all it has done in the past six months. Catch my drift? Well if ya don't, My opinion is that it is a waste of money.

pat

I've had mine for a little over a year (I also purchased it from Galls). I like it - I use the window punch, seatbelt cutter and spanner tool quite regularly. I have yet to try the gas shut off valve (and I can see by construction that it may not be the strongest.)

Yeah, it's kind of bulky, but for me, I like having an all-in-one tool, as opposed to a separate punch, spanner and seatbelt cutter - I always know where they are (if it were smaller, I'd most likely lose it).
    We're all in this together. FDNY 9-11-01

I to use mine last shift at a fire to shut off the gas, for one thing the slot for the valve was to small so I tried to use the spanner part and the plastic didn't take the pressure, I had to end up using a cresant wrench. As for the seatbelt cutter the blade fell out long ago. The only thing that I liked about it was the window punch but that is not worth the cost. I would not recommend it for a personnal purchase.

OLE

I've got one of those too, but be careful when you use the seatbelt cutter because it will break (fall apart).

District Chief

Everything has a use. I had one before I became a consultant in my new job. Now I sell TFT products. Valuable tool. Also has double as a device to hold doors open that are on closers. Hang it over the hinge.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Had one of these awhile ago, tried to turn off the water at a house fire it wouldn't work, tried to pry off the cap on a bucket of foam it didn't work. tried to pry off a piece of trim molding along a celing during overhaul it didn't work. But it did work to take out a rear window during a roof flap. Gave it to a probie! who didn't have any spanner. Went back to my good bronze folding spanner.
    Just my feelings not that of my Dept. etc.
    keep it safe out there!
    Keep it safe !
    paradise Firefighter

Works well as a door chock.
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Thread Information