Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Blue Grass Army Depot Fire & Emergency Services

Default Stop wearing those T-Shirts

Maybe it is just me, but does those T-Shirts that you see those guys wearing all the time get on your nerves? You know the ones. They are the " Find 'em Hot Leave 'em Wet" shirts you find in some of those mail order magazines. Or "Butt Naked Firefighting" how about "TOMMY FIREFIGHTER" . Like I said it may just be me or I am just in a mood to pick on something but man, I hate those shirts.
    Clifford Montgomery
    Fire Chief

If you want an even cruder shirt, the "Johnson" series takes the cake... it tends to put a dim light on the people in the profession as a whole.

Yes, Yes, Yes, we all talk about respect for our profession but then turn around and make people believe that we are nothing more than a bunch of degenerates. I guess we are just humans afterall, but we can't ask for one thing and then gripe when someone looks upon us differently.

Listen to this. A few years ago, a local volunteer was killed while responding to an emergency in a neighboring county. During the funeral, which was a firefighter's funeral, apparatus and firefighters from all over Kansas attended, wearing their respective uniforms. In to the chapel, walks two of the firefighters from this man's department. WEARING CO-ED NAKED FIREFIGHTING T_SHIRTS. I could not believe they had the balls to come to this man's funeral like this. Unknown to me if anything was said by their chief.

Yes, now more than ever, I am tired of these damn T-shirts.

I find that most of the guys that wear those shirts have an ego problem anyhow and can only wish they could live up to the reputation that their shirt implies. If I feel the need to wear a fire serice type t-shirt I put on my department T-shirt that just has my dept. name on it.

Forum Member

I have one shirt like that. The absolute firefighter one. I hardly wear it. But I don;t think it is too bad as far as being crude. I would much rather wear different fd shirts for certain Departments.

I agree, these shirts should not even have the fire service name on them. It just puts shame on most of us, and lowers the public opinion. Just my imput.
    -Stay Safe

I have the aforementioned t-shirts, as well as t-shirts from various departments all around the country. There are times that wearing any t-shirt are not appropriate (anyone wearing a t-shirt to a funeral for a fallen brother must be a few sandwiches short of a picnic).

The fire service has enough problems without worrying about a "coed naked" or "big Johnson" t-shirt. It's a little "tongue in cheek" humor.

Let's lighten up a little and concentrate on the problems that confront firefighters today!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who feels this way. I forgot to mention that I may be biased because I happen to live about 20 miles from Galls. Every couple of months they have a surplus sale. You can only imagine the look of the "Galls Army" after one of these sales. I swear, I have been to the Galls show room and seen a distant traveler walk through the door and almost drop to his knees like he had just made the journey to his Meca. He was wearing the "Tools of the Trade" shirt. Again I do not intend to bash anyone....well almost anyone but this is just a pet peeve. I guess I could find more usefull things to discuss.
    Clifford Montgomery
    Fire Chief

If a FF from Chitown or Det. or FDNY walked into my Sta. with one of those shirts while on vacc or teaching a class. I might think hmm a cool shirt...It is just hard for me to see some walking around wearing some of these shirts and know they haven't seen enough fire to fill a dumpster. By comparison and coming from a burb Depart. I do see them wearing these shirts and at times I consider them to be a disgrace...not cool..Yes..got a few on my Dept that do.. I do respectfully wear other Fire Department T-shirts. Just noticed while posting this I have a FDNY t-shirt on right now, tip the Leather to E207 and L110.

tc/ss

Fight like you Train and Train like you Fight.

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: FF.1205 ]

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: FF.1205 ]

I am with Gonzo on this. There is a time and a place for everything. And anyone wearing a T-Shirt to a funeral, especially to a fueral of a fallen brother have other issues. Other than that it's a T-shirt people get over it.

MembersZone Subscriber

It may be "Just a T-Shirt". But as we all know, some of the public does not look at us in a good light.Why ask for someone to look at us in a poor light? As most replies have stated, the majority of the people wearing these shirts probably haven't seen enough fire to melt a sandwich baggie. Not all, but most.
    I agree that we have bigger problems to deal with. But maybe, just maybe, if the public looked us in the best light possible, we would gain the suport we all want and need to start working on the "BIG THINGS".
    Just my opinion !
    IN MEMORY OF THE BOYS FROM STATION 14!!! God Speed!!

Leather forever!!!

ABC !!

If we fail to train, we train for failure.

Forum Member

Got to agree with the rest of you on this one, and we're not the only ones! Have you seen some of the EMS shirts out there!
    EMT's... The vital link, Give me a break ,if someone waltzed into my house wearing one of those shirts I'd kindly ask them to leave and then ask the police officer for a ride to the hospital. Again, this isn't a personal attack simply a pet peeve of mine. In a profession (paid & volunteer) where we're begging for respect. This surely doesn't help us out any.

-Nick

T Shirts???? come on people I think that we have a bigger problem out there then T Shirts. The Funeral thing I agree. I know guys who have seen more fire then possible and where different shirts. By reading Montgomerys Post I feel that he has a problem with Galls and he is use n the shirt's instead. Some of the shirts out there are nasty but this is the land of the free and all I have to do is look away. But then again some of the shirts are cool. Come on people stick to the reason the Fire Department is here.

Hot2ha

You are probably right about me having a problem with galls. Good insight but like you said it is the land of the free leaving me able to post what I feel. Also I gree with you in saying there are more important subjects to post. That was the whole reason for my poking fun at something like the T-Shirts. Read some other of my posts and you will see some of my other thoughts.
    Clifford Montgomery
    Fire Chief

Forum Member

The t-shirts don't gall (wink)me so much, what gets to me is the behavior i have seen at parades,funerals, or about any other time a large group of brothers get together. right off the beer has to get cooled then, and we all know a few of these guys,the stampede starts, which is soon followed by the stupid behavior by a few that reflects on all of us.

wow, a t-shirt at a ff funeral. shows what class those guys had.

hey, i still have alot of the aforementioned (big word for 'said already') shirts, but have only bought shirts from parades or displaying others departments / companies of recent. (quess i've matured a little since i first joined the fire service . . . . . . very little! )

yes, i have a shirt that says 'smoke and fire, cuts and guts, to take this job we must nuts'. i found it humerous. others that say 'bustin ours, saving yours', or the one with the muscled out dalmation which i think say 'everyready', or 'america's firefighter' - give me a break, that's corny. co-ed naked ANYTHING is over, same as absolut is done with!!!

amen bob, attitude is everything! just don't put it on a t-shirt, maybe a bumper sticker though!

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]

Topics like this are the reason the world is so screwed up. why dont you talk about whats important, staffing, communications, etc. I thank God you pansies arent due at my house...
    All you Squirrels can get on my nuts...

what, you guys don't like those shirts?!?! cummon, what better way is there to make your community believe that you're all a bunch of idiots!! i'd have to go with the general opinion here. but hey, whatever they can make money off of, they'll sell. who cares who it hurts, right?? peace.
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

yeah, dew-dew1619, yes, you better thank god i'm not due on your house. i guess you're the new guy around here, just watch the crap you're throwin, ROOKIE!

Thread Information