Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default How Did Your 4th Of July Go?

Hey folks, just wondering how everyone's 4th went in terms of calls. The Youngstown FD ran seven calls from 6pm until 1130pm, mostly for reports of open burning, smoke in the area; everything that one could mistake firework smoke for...What did you guys run?

Well, we had a medical around 2:30pm. Then here's the winner...we had a call about 6:15 for smoke coming out of an apartment. Some dumb@ss was lighting off fireworks IN his apartment.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Surprisingly very quiet. Probably because the 4th was on a Wednesday. I think that will change come this weekend, when they have the "Taste of Enfield". I'm sure we'll have lots of medicals and a few mva's, especially on I-91

Jolly Roger
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, I was fortuante enough to draw an overtime position. My shift went off duty yesterday morning, so I worked a 48 hour shift.

My first call came in at 0005 hrs for an MVA, fatality reported. Got there, yup, one of the two victims (both victims were late teens/early 20's)was a DOA. The other was a combative drunk head injury.

Oh, did I mention that we had to go 20 ft down a steep enbankment in thick poison ivy to get rescue him? Oh well, that's our job. We had him flown to the trauma center.

It took us an hour to decon the back of the ambulance, and ourselves.

*YAWN* When I got home this morning, I kissed my family, Thanked God that they were not victimized by a drunk driver, and then took a shower and a nap.

On a side note, I would like to pass on best wishes to everyone out there. I hope your Independence Day celebrations were safe and fun.

God Bless America!

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]

My shift had three calls. Two medical and one grass fire. Pretty slow.
    Shawn Clark
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Tulsa Fire Dept. E-23 "C Platoon"
    I.A.F.F. Local 176
    Tulsa, OK

Kind of slow, but busy enough that I didn't get a nap. I was on B shift so had to watch my fellow firefighters setting off the fireworks display from the firehouse. They caused about 3 small fires, but we have crews on standby that extinquished them quickly. Then at 00:59 I paged out the Rural company for a wheatfield fire caused by lightning. The problem was it was heading straight for a farmstead. Stopped it right at the tree row next to the house.
    MGB&KY&Y-FDNY 9/11/01

It was just madness for this area, We had a reported house fire earlier in the day which turned out top be nothing, Burbank rolled on an apartment fire, Pasadena was the busiest of all the Verdugo City's, Pasadena was also down 2 Engine's becasue they were covering the Rose Bowl that night which included a soccer game drawing more than 100,000 people to watch the fireworks after, So over all out here it was nuts Departments held over personell to staff to reserve engines, AT one pint units were finding themselves down 4 calls, Verdugo had to sound there long tones to alert everyone there were too many people on Red 4

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: Engine 101 ]

We had five EMS and one fire call between 11 p.m on the 3rd to 2 a.m on the 4th.

I don't know--I'm out of town. We did go on an investigation on the beach when my cheif and I spotted a plume of smoke--it turned out to be a summer solstice festival--I just love Humboldt county.

Althea

Quiet, we had a two car MVA. Nobody was seriously hurt. That's all.

Forum Member

Pretty quiet, all things considered....
    Two MVAs, none seriously hurt
    Rescue ran several medicals, the noteworthy one being the homeowner (after several, umm, liquid refreshments) was on his roof for some reason, and fell off. Compound to the right arm and right leg. (Could have been worse, but he took the fall on his arm, instead of the head, so...)
    Kids with some bottle rockets (illegal here) set their neighbor's flowerbed on fire. Scorched the aluminum siding a bit, but that's all.
    Other than that, pretty quiet.
    Be safe!
    HazMat
    ---
    We gotta be nuts...we're running in when the rats & roaches are running out!

Let No Victim's Ghost Say That We Didn't Try
    ---
    Disclaimer:
    These are my opinions, and only mine, and do not reflect the views of my department.

Like Adze, I think we had some fruitcake setting fireworks IN his apartment...What a yay-hoo...

But, man, I would've hated to be a fireman in Atlantic City on the 4th...You guys read that article? wow...
    My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Our deparment responded to a propane leak, an automatic fire alarm, a reported dwelling fire, the caller said smoke showing turned out to be smoke from fireworks. The last call at 3:45 AM (I know it was actually 7/5) was a MVA, 3 vehicle vs a steer. 2 of the vehicles rolled over, but no entrappment. Transported one patient with minor injuries, the steer was DOA.

Stay safe

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: Fire/Rescue43 ]

Can't say if my Paid Dept ran anything... I know the dept I vollie with had a small electrical fire and a couple of EMS calls.
    This may sound bad but I didn't pay much mind to the pager. Busy setting up a Fireworks show. How many of you out there do fireworks on the fourth? By fireworks I mean 3" mortors and up. Largest shell we've put up is a 16 inch, fired electronically (?)
    Dean Urquhart
    I used to only have One President, Charleton Heston, then came George. Now I'm lucky enough to have a third.... Capt Gonzo

Forum Member

We had one working fire. It was a wedding chapel on Las vegas Blvd. about five car wrecks a burning tree and a bunch of Ems calls. I think we had 12 total on E-4

Thread Information