Default The historical custom of, "pushing apparatus in to the station,"

Does any one know, where, when, and how this custom originated of pushing, literally, new apparatus in to the fire station?
    Does any one know, any one who might have an answer?
    We, my department, are getting a new 75 foot stick, and, were thinking of what to do for the unveiling ceremony.
    Appreciate your help

better eat your cheerios if you decide to push it in. i never heard of that.

[ 07-07-2001: Message edited by: jeg532 ]

Originally posted by munn_ee:
    Does any one know, where, when, and how this custom originated of pushing, literally, new apparatus in to the fire station?
    Does any one know, any one who might have an answer?
    We did it last year with our new ladder truck. It dates back to the "horse drawn" days... (you ever see a horse back up a fire truck?)
    If you want more info... ask. OR, you could surf around in here. I know I posted what we did last year, I just don't remember where !

well sounds good to me but, we have a 45 degree up hill for 10 feet before our doors so we wont be pushing ours in!!!!!!!!! Not unless all you want to help?
    ...fire fetish???......
    ...damn right!!!!

Forum Member

I could be wrong but I believe I was told once that the firehorses were indeed trained to back the carts into the station.

Not positive though.

Horses did back them in. Seen a film of them backing an old city ladder back into Ladder 2's station.
    Right after every run the jr firefighter on shift would wash the wheels to get off the Horse "poop".
    They continued having to wash the wheels even years after the horses were gone.... tradition

We have done this with our past two pieces of apparatus...I don't know where it started, but the ceremony first starts with the breaking of a cheap bottle of champagne, or sparkling cider (wrapped in a towel of course) on the front bumper by members of your choice, then the Chief Engineer, Engineer, Driver or whatever you call him, is in the drivers seat, while the Chief is usually in the Officer's seat, the Firefighters then, line up and put a hand on the Truck, while the Driver of course, has it in reverse, and backs up slowly. Once in the bay, it is usually custom to make as much noise as possible. It all depends on where you are located....I think this is actually a more N.E. U.S tradition.
    Buster

We did the ceremony like busterbar did when we got a new quint. Its pretty much a christening or a launching, I guess.
    It is better to try and fail, then quit and succeed.

i know it's a tradition where i'm from only when we do it we don't wait till the truck is in the bay to make as much noise as we can we do it the entire time the ff's are lined up and even after words to the house siren blowing too.

Robert A. Klinger, Jr.
    FIREFIGHTER
    Robert A. Klinger, Jr.
    (FIREFIGHTER)

My fire department is awaiting a delivery of a new attack engine, and the "housing" of a new fire department vehicle is a tradition at my station. We have pictures of our members pushing our new 1948 Mack into our station...by the way..that piece is still in our station and in mint condition.

Thread Information