Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default oldest member and longest length of service

Volunteers what is the age of your oldest member and what is number of years served.
    We had a member that had 60 years of service at age 81.

LC

Hmmmm...

Longest serving is currently a former Chief (who was also the first volunteer certified as an instructor in the state, back in the days they where still called "Drill Masters") whose 72, with 52 years active service. He just let his interior certification go a couple years ago, but can still run circles around most of our members.

I believe our oldest active member is one of our EMTs (formerly also a Firefighter)whose 73 (?). She retired early as a college professor, and joined the fire company about 25 years ago.

fyi Larry...we have a slug of 5 or 6 members who are rapidly approaching their 40th anniversaries as they reach their mid-50s, and most of them have been keeping up their interior certifications
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Had a captain retire last year with 39 years on the job.

One of our founding members (our dept. was founded in 1954) just passed away last week. I believe he was 81 with 47 years of service. We still have two other charter members that come around every Monday on drill night and every last Tuesday for meeting night. They often come down for calls and run the radio from the station for us. They are both in their 70s.
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Forum Member

We have a sgt. that is 51 he was chief back in the early 80's he has been in the fire service for about 25 years. We also had a district chief resign a few months ago. he was about 53 with the same amount of years. he was just as active as any of the others.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

Our current Chief is an original member of our department from 1937. That's 64 years of service!

He still makes 90% or more of our calls and is a real inspiration to me. I hope I can run like that if I get to be his age!

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: WTFDFF10 ]
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Thread Information