Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Leather bunker boots.....

We are in the process of thinking about getting the leather bunker boots. Who makes the best ones. Any laws pertaining to the uses of these. Anybody with positive or negative comments about these. Thaks -steve

Forum Member

There was a recent recall of one manufacturers boots. I dont remember which one it was. PLus the thought that you might get into something that would contaminate the leather and couldnt be removed would render the boots subject to disposal worries me.

Well I have had Pro Boots for about 3 years now and I love them. Wants you go with leather boots you will never want to wear rubber boots again.

I have had the warrington Pro boots for almost 8 yrs now. Very happy with them and would recommend them.

Most of they guys here wear leather boots and 99% of them are Warrington Pro's also.

We are issued leather boots and they are the best. as far as getting them contaminated with hazards, you have them cleaned just like those rubber ones. Leather is alot more comfortable. At night I don't even put on socks to wear them. My thoughts are if you can afford them then go for it, you won't regret it I am sure.
    My opinion does not reflect on that of my career department, Michael Prescott
    Capt./EMT-B

We have been using leather boots for about 3 years now. They are much more comfortable than rubbers. No one in our dept would go back to rubbers now. You won't regret the leathers in you decide to go that route.

I have a very long thin foot (Wife says it looks more like a ski with toes ) and I could never get rubber boots to fit correctly.

I bought a pair of 8" Black Diamonds about 4 years ago and I love them. I think that they are heavier than other brands and when these wear out (or more likely when I get tired of them being heavy) I'll probably look at other brands - but never, NEVER, N-E-V-E-R would I want to go back to rubber boots.

Now if I could just trade that 1010 for a "Cows Butt" - I'd be all set.

Take Care - Stay Safe
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

i`ve had my pro`s for about 4 years now and i`ll never wear rubber boots again. they are so much more comfortable and feel more like shoes than bunker boots. they have held up really good also.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have been wearing Black Diamond Leathers for about 2 years now and love them. You really notice the difference when you on in them for a few hours. I would never go back to the rubbers. Our deparment policy is against the leathers for HAZMAT so I still carry the rubbers, just in case we are on a HAZMAT.
    Firefighter/Paramedic Ron Sanders
    Midvale Fire Department
    Medic Ambulance 22 - A Platoon

Firefighters, Walking where the Devil Danced!

This is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

Personal Website: http://RonSanders.Biz Check it Out!

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I am glad that so far nobody has been displeased. My commissioners are asking what is wrong with the rubber ones and now we can tell them. If they don't purchase them I will try to get authorization to let my guys get them and just pay for them ourselves. From what I hear, myself and the other officers will be getting them on a trial basis, to check them out. I for one hate the rubber boots and look forward to getting out of them. For haz-mat incidents we have rubber boots on our haz-mat truck so that isn't a problem. -Thnaks for the help. -Steve

MembersZone Subscriber F52Westside's Avatar

I have been wearing leathers for about 4 years and I would not give them up either. I wore Rangers for 3 of the 4 yrs. and am now wearing Warrington Pros and they are even more comfortable than my Rangers. They are more like walking in regular boots.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

I sell all types of boots, both rubber and leather. I myself wear Pro Warrington leathers, and would not give them up for anything. I had to by two pairs, one for the station and one for by side jobs.

Several of the departments that I sell to have covered the cost of rubber boots and the firefighter has to make up the difference if they want the leather.

Ranger boot were recalled about 6 months ago for leaking. They have replaced everything with no problems.

Stay Safe!

P.P.

Warrington Pros all the way!! I have four pair, two of the bunker style and two of the zip-up. I wouldn't wear anything other than Pros. I have seen the wear that the Ranger brand takes-on and they will NEVER stand-up to the Warrington Pro. I have been wearing leather boots since I was 17 and wouldn't think of anything other. My suggestion would be to go PRO!!! Be Safe all!!

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

I just took delivery of my first pair of leather bunkers. I have Thurogood boots. I will let you know how they work out. Give me a week or so.

Stay safe,

Mark

I just got my Black Diamond leathers yesterday, and I'll let you know what I think of them after the 1st worker. But I'll tell you this, they are the most comfortable fire boots I've ever had on, and That's just walking around the house. Been using rubber boots for 6 years or so now, and I think that I'll use leather from now on, unless something happens to change my mind. Although I just got a Ben 2 Plus composite helmet, if I ever stumble on enough extra money, I'll have to get me a cow lid, then I'll be set.

Forum Member

steveo, Here's my two cents worth. I have been wearing Warrington Pros for three years and will never go back to rubber. They fit like a shoe, provide good ankle support, are lightweight and don't promote fatigue. Plus when overhauling (and standing in hot stuff) they don't melt.
    Take care and be safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Well we are getting a few different pairs to try out. I told them that we need to get a pair of the pro's for me to try out. Does anybody have problems with there feet getting wet, especially in the winter months. Thnaks for the help -Steve

Gotta take care of yer leathers like any other tool.I do a lot of Fire Schools so my boots get a ton of time on 'em.Wet,no just give a good waterproofing once in a while.Put in a 8 hr shift and be ready for another 8.T.C.

Love the Leather boots I got, but they do have a drawback. They have fairly hard soles, which are great for making them last longer, but the drawback is some traction. You really notice it when your on a peaked roof, the rubber boots hold the roof a bit better.
    Warrington retrofitted alot of our boots with softer soles which improved them alot.

Before the retrofit the deptmant had a few slip-and-fall injuries during the winter with the old soles, alot of guys went back to rubber boots during that time.

A few guys on the truck companies still wont wear the leathers cause of the lower traction on roofs.

i've been wearing pro warrington's for about 2 years now and WILL NOT ever ever go back to rubber... the comfort level is amazing, it feels like you're wearing tennis shoes... and you just have to clean them up if they get dirty, i use regular degreaser and water and a stiff bristled brush as needed
    Shevais M. Shrum
    Western Wake Fire Rescue

Thread Information