Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    mz5

Default blind in one eye

I am looking to form a list of firefighter across the country that have vision impairments. I would like to have some documentation that we can still be excellant firefighters and that it doesn't enable us to do our job.But most of all that we do exsist. Any help would be great.

If you can do the job, you can do the job!

Check with Scott Cook of Granbury Texas, he has been on the job for a number of years even though he only has one eye.

He is into everything and has posts all over the forum.

Good Luck, Be Safe,
    Mike "TIman" Richardson

Forum Member

Thanks for the intro Mike.

mz5, I've been at it for 13 years, what information/documentation do you need?
    www.gvfd.org

well personally, I can't see clearly 5 feet infront of me with out my glasses. I can see shapes, colors, and everything ok, but it's all fuzzy. I know mine is correctabe, I can get inserts for the mask, but so far I haven't gotten them yet. I feel that I'm a good FF, the people in my dept. apparantly do too because they made me Lt. , It is annoying not to be able to see clearly sometimes, but when you are inside and things are smokey you can't see anyway. I'm not sure if this is the type of vision imparments that you were looking to hear about, but that's mine.

cfr3504 I also can't see the nose on my own face , but my big problem is that I have a trouble seeing some colors. I am not totally color blind but is limited to mostly shades of reds, greens, and yellows. When I am at a stop light I see white, green, and brown. Now for the real scarry part of that, I drive a Semi for a living.

i work as a volly firefighter, and paid emt i'm blind in my left eye never been a problem for me.

burnin down the house
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have the glasses insert in my mask. When I came on the job I had several of the more experienced firefighters laugh at me for having that in my mask but if it saves yer *** or someone elses, who cares

Thread Information