Forum Member

Default Columbus Rescues-

Heya-

I know there's a few guys from Columbus on the forums...What's the deal with Columbus sending two heavy rescues on freeway assignments? And are the new ALF tandem axles in service yet?
    My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Forum Member

What did they buy alf's for?

Incidentally, I saw the new E4 on a fire run recently.. nice lookin truck..

Hey guys -

I'm originally from Cols, OH (some of my best buddies are from Firefightin' 8s). Tell me a little abou these new rides!!!
    We're all in this together. FDNY 9-11-01

Forum Member

Not sure why Columbus bought ALF's...They do look sharp...Perhaps someone else from Columbus on here can talk about that...They looks like twins of Ladders 1 and 8 in terms of axles, and etc, and I think they may be exact duplicates of the one Charlottsville, VA took...Last I heard they were going to 12's, 13's and 15's...???

Heard about 4's...32's has the same engine...How's it look spo0k? Wonder why, after all these years of Sutphen and some Pierce, that they go to BOISE???? You seen 21's and the like?????

BGFD-
    I had the chance to meet Lt. Truco and Lt. McConaheigh at a burning exercise they had in February...Great guys..Lots of respect for the guysd at 8's....If I can find shots of the ladders or new engines, I'll post em...

You could also check:
    columbusfire.8m.com

spo0k-
    If Columbus were to keep up the new run cards with rescues running more, is it possible some of the surburbs and townships may start rethinking giving Columbus their rescues? We took an accident on I-70 with 32's, and they sent Resuces 4....and 71!!!!! Is it to show the city they need more rescues, or is there more to it?

be safe-

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: TruroFAO ]
    My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Truro -

Yeah, I know Mac. And most of the guys on 2-unit (Gall, Towns, Dip, Maniac, BK...) Towns and Gall gave me this firefighting bug - I still talk to them once in a while.

I'm planning to take the CFD test at the next offering (and hope to God I go to 8s!!!) I used to live in Reynoldsburg - went by your station every day to work.

On the Official CFD website they have some great pics. If you come across any, send them over (my address is on my profile)

Good to hear from someone in the hometown!!!Take care and be safe!!!

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: bgfdchick ]

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: bgfdchick ]
    We're all in this together. FDNY 9-11-01

Forum Member

Truro, I doubt it, there's actually talk of us picking up the same idea and adding a rescue to all mva's in Whitehall, that way we can justify a rescue later down the road..

And yes, I've seen those freakin 2 door international engines, they are by far the ugliest things I've ever seen. The guys hate 'em, they're always broken in some way or another, and I've also heard that they have a terrible turning radius.

As for 4's and 32's, yah they look great. Its good to see that they finally gave up on the commercial chassis..

Forum Member

I was just in Columbus last weekend and saw Engine 13 responding to an MVA. God those Internationals are by far the ugliest truck any urban/paid department could ever use. If Youngstown ever bought a commercial chassis I would give up on the fire service all together!

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: daysleeper47 ]

Ugly trucks? so what. We have nothing but comercial chasis, most god awful ugly looking rigs you ever rode, but no big deal, still do the job

Forum Member

spo0k-

I could see the need for a rescue in Whitehall...We're also moving our run cards around cause Mifflin moved their rescue to 133's. Would they still be a second rescue due after 4's to Whitehall? Too, what about Rescue-Engine 151, or refitting Engine 152 as a rescue engine and putting two engines and two medics in frontline service? The station is certainly busy enough...We may have to move WEST LICKING up on our rescue cards cause of Rescue 133...

I guess my thought on the rescues (townships, like 71's, 92's, 101's, 111's, etc...) was that if they get yanked all over the city with the new run cards, (say for instance, Rescue 71 takes a run in Battalion 6's area) I'm wondering if some departments would object to their pieces going all over the city, and perhaps remove them from automatic aid?

I'm not saying the rescue idea is bad, but I would like to understand how the new assignments came to be, and why they are that way...

Smoke286-
    The engines Daysleeper refers to are not only fugly, but they don't seem practical.... Maybe the two newest engines with custom chasis is the start of a change...

Be safe-
    My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Forum Member

Truro

You are a spy!@(#*@ you have uncovered our secret!*@&!

j/k.. there has been talk recently though about e/r152, nothing really concrete yet. As for R133, I really dont know.. Is that station open yet?

Forum Member

Called County Fire...R133 is still running out of 131's....

Talked to a friend of mine who works at Brooklyn Communications last night...He gave me another thought...

Could Columbus being doing extra rescue cards to actually drive the townships out? He theorized that Columbus may be unhappy with so many departments running rescue-engines rather than dedicated rescue companies. I think the only dedicated rescue companies in the county are Columbus and Jackson...Maybe it's a training issue thing? Do structural firemen recieve extrication training? I don't think 240 class at the OFA does...36 class doesn't either...Whadaya think? Possibility?

Tell Elk hey...
    My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Forum Member

Columbus has been trying to drive the townships out for awhile now, that is no secret. I never really thought of the rescue plan as part of this idea.

Extrication is covered briefly in 240, not to the extent of a dedicated heavy rescue class, but enough to be able to cut someone from a car in a pinch.

Forum Member

spo0k-
    Good discussion going here....

I'm not sure if driving township rescues out would really affect us in the eastern part of the city, as long as we retained mutual aid with one another. Our first due rescue is Violet, maybe Mifflin for northwestern parts of the township and Rescue 4 in a pinch...But for areas in the northern and northwestern parts of the city, where township rescues are first due to areas of Columbus, someone could be waiting a long time to get cut out of a car...I mean, Columbus runs 101's and 111's especially like it was a Columbus piece...Take them away and you've got Rescue 16 trying to haul @$$ to Little Turtle...Scary thought...

What about taking a page from FDNY? Re-classify the rescue-engines as 'squads' and give the ladders extrication tools? Then the whole need for more rescues becomes mute... Could that type of thing work here?
    My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Thread Information