Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Pregnant Female FF's; Department Policies

Hello all,

I am looking for information on other Departments policies in regards to Pregnant Female FF's. In particular, does your department differ in terms of "light duty" for a pregnant female FF compared to "light duty" for an injured FF???

Ex. If one of your FF's got injured, on or off duty, and they were functional to do "light duty", instead of being on sick leave, does the policy of your departments change for pregnant female FF's who work for 4-5 months on duty and then go to "light duty" to prevent from using all their sick time???

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Fireman84

Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

Here light duty for injured firefighters is handled differently from light duty for pregnant firefighters.

Injured firefighters are assigned as house cats here. They stay in the engine house as a guard sort of. It helps keep us from being robbed on a consistant basis and we don't have to lock every door before leaving quarters.

Pregnant firefighters are sent downtown on a 5 day work week to do administartive work while on light duty. The only problem with this is that most stay there and don't come back to firefighting, which sometimes is a good thing. The only problem with this is that they are still carried as active manpower regaurdless of light duty status.

Anyone with over 25 years can't be put on light duty.

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: FireLt1951 ]

Thanks for the fast reply FireLt1951.

When your injured FF's are acting as "Guard", are they on a 24 hour duty shift? And when your pregnant female FF's do administrative work, are they still getting paid 56 hours/week? That is our normal pay per week, if it is not your normal pay per week, then are your pregnant female FF's still paid their normal weekly salary??? Or do they drop to 40 hour pay because they are working 40 hour weeks?

Fireman84

MembersZone Subscriber Engine5FF's Avatar

I don't know if our dept. has a policy for pregnant firefighters (though I'm sure they do.) We haven't had the need to use it. None of our female ff's were pregnant while on the job. However our light duty for everyone is work in the code enforcement office as an inspector as we all are CEO's. Other light duty in the past has also been file clerk and the last guy on light duty took every memo from the last 10 years and all the S.O.P.s and reorganized them all into a single book. So there is always somthing around a fire department that someone on light duty can do, pregnant or not.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Forum Member

Any female members are supposed to inform the chief as soon as they find out that they are pregnant (this in the SOP/SOG book), and they will be placed on administrative duty until the baby is delivered.
    Once the baby is born, they will return to active status with a letter from their doctor clearing them medically.
    Hope this helps.
    HazMat
    ---
    We gotta be nuts...we're running in when the rats & roaches are running out!

Let No Victim's Ghost Say That We Didn't Try
    ---
    Disclaimer:
    These are my opinions, and only mine, and do not reflect the views of my department.

Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

All members that are on light duty work 24hr shifts if they are house cats. We have a 48 hour work week. All members that do light duty in administration work 5- 8 hour days and recieve regular pay just as if they were still fighting fires. No one that is on light duty from an injury can be denied any of their regular benefits in hours, wages, compensatory time etc.

It's been a long time since we've had a pregnant FF so I couldn't tell you what OUR policy is, but my friend Angie was out doing fire photography until a week before she went into labour, and was back on regular light duty two weeks after. She's on a different department though.

Althea

Pregnant firefighters are supposed to inform the chief as soon as they know or suspect they are pregnant. They are to be taken out of firefighting service, but can still do EMS and chiefs aid work. They can request light duty and generally go to dispatch.

LABOR, not labour
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

It's LABOUR if you speak English, LABOR if you speak American. I have this slight tendancy to lapse into English and spell Enquiry with an "E"

Althea
    Althea Forhan
    FDNY 343:"Forever your power and strength stays with me"

Thanks Althea, you continue to be a perfect example of what is wrong with government indoctrination, I mean education, centers.

It's LABOUR if you speak English, LABOR if you speak American.

Go back and find yourself a word manual (dictionary) and you will learn for yourself that labor is the English spelling, labour is a British variant of it - but I'm sure that's what you meant.

I have this slight tendancy to lapse into English and spell Enquiry with an "E"

Wow, you're a real rebel aren't you...

Enquiry is a senseless, but allowable, variant of inquiry in English.

But since you like to fancy yourself as lapsing into "English" from time to time...

How do you get knocked up?

Do yourself a favour and stop trying to be something you're not.

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: mongofire_99 ]
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

MembersZone Subscriber

I always did find it funny, how some departments allow pregnant FF's to run EMS. Sorry you can't wear a pack even though your not showing, but go ahead on the ambulance so some physco can kick you in the stomach.

Mongo, go easy, she's only trying!! And she was using proper "Queen's English." Guess someone forget to tell her and most of Mass and Rhode Island that we one those wars back in 1776 and 1812. Better that then the inner urban "ebonics" I've picked up through high school and being on the job. I love it when my nephews call me "yo."

--------------------------------------------
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

no longer with 126, but can't find where to edit this thing above

Eye halve a spelling chequer.
    It came with my pea sea.
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    And Eye can put the error rite
    Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
    I am shore your pleased two no
    Its letter perfect awl the weight
    My chequer tolled me sew

Sorry, couldn't resist

I'm Vol. fire, so if your pregnant, you don't answer calls, like my wife currently.

As far as my work, paid EMS, we don't do light duty, that I know of. You can take a leave of absence, and you get the 12 weeks provided by "The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993" and your job will be waiting for you when you return.

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: newasstchief ]
    Just my 2 cents....3 before taxes

Fir Na Tine

YO

Guess someone forget to tell her and most of Mass and Rhode Island that we one those wars back in 1776 and 1812.

All she probably knows about the fight for our freedom is what she saw in The Patriot.

MembersZone Subscriber

You know what I be sayin' YO.

lol. on the Patriot Mongo.

Forum Member

firefighter with job related injury: works regular 24 / 48, but goes to headqtrs. station for administrative work. no ems, no details, etc.,
    off duty injury, including pregnancy, works 12 hr. shift monday - thurs., and 8 hours on fri. to make the 56 hour week. comes back when doc. says it is okay.....

Ok here is how a neighboring dept did it.My buddies wife was pregnant and became the bus driver well that went over like a load of bricks because the chiefs wife said"Oh no you cant do that!!"(yes she is a firefighter too)So buddies wife had to stop helping when help was needed(at 2 months I believe)Now as Paul says......the rest.....of the story!
    The chiefs wife not only got pregnant but went to every fire call till she delivered.Taking up a seat on the truck as a non combatant pain in the *** wannabe officer stand around and get in the way cause consternation amongst the medical people rider!Whew got that all out But this is how they do it we would say guess what you are our new radio operator!
    be safe

Thread Information