Thread: Bunker Gear

Forum Member

Default Bunker Gear

Brothers and Sisters,
    Hopefully this will not be an "inappropriate question". My department currently uses Globe Bunker Gear (velcro and zipper closures)and is considering changing to Morning Pride (D rings and snaps).
    What experience do you all have with Morning Pride gear?
    Take care and be safe

Make the Switch...Morning Pride Makes some excellent gear...For a while they had production problems...Too many orders...Be sure to check if time is critical

Forum Member

I'd stay with the Globe, we've been wearing it for years and some of our guys are pretty rough on the stuff.

The closure systems really aren't that big of a deal and Globe can probably do the D-rings and snaps for you too.

Also, when talking about different brands and if you are staying with or going to PBI remember that only one company makes the material. Morning Pride, Fire Dex, Globe, Cairns and the others just sew the garments together differently.
    www.gvfd.org

Personally - I like Morning Pride. They make a quality product, and their customer service to me was great.

As S.Cook said-- closures on the gear is not a matter of the manufacturer -- it's a matter of the specification for the gear itself.
    As far as PBI is concerned-- there are 2 different mills that make it. Hoescht- Celanese - and Southern Mills.... I believe that there may be another manufacturer -- but I am not sure --- they just produce the fabric and sell it to the gear manufacturers.
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Our deparment has also switched from Globe to Morning Pride. Morning Pride will do zipper and velcro closures. I do like the heat channel knee pads, as they are replaceable and give a little padding. Some of the gear has been in service for over one year now and seems to be holding up well.

Now personally, I prefer Globe gear, I have one of the last remaining sets of Globe gear and I'm up for replacement. I will hate give it up. I've had two sets of Globe and they have held up better than any other turnout gear I've been issused.

Stay safe

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: Fire/Rescue43 ]

I personally have found the D-ring/snap closures quicker to don than the zipper/velcro. Of my two prox suit coats, one had the D-rings, the other is the Globe ARFF-E with the zippers. I prefer the older coat, however I like my Morning Pride gloves a little more than my older prox gloves (lobster gloves), for obvious mobility reasons.

MD

Forum Member

My mistake. Hoechst Celanese the sole source for PBI fibers. Hoechst Celanese, Southern Mills, Basofil and I guess any other company that wants too can make fabric for bunker gear out of PBI from Hoechst Celanese.
    www.gvfd.org

Forum Member

Morning Pride has a computerized production line. They have the ability to do a couple of 100 sets of gear a day. They did have some bugs when it first went online but they have been worked out. Morning pride also holda alot of Patents on their gear, The heat channel knees, the Class II harness in the gear, and alot of little ones that all add up to a really good set of gear. I am a sales rep for Morning Pride in eastern Pa and North Nj. You can not believe the stuff I run into, One Chief orderd Globe, after I gave him a quote from Morning Pride for $150 LESS with all the extras (heat channel knees etc etc) and a delivery of 2 weeks. The Globe order is a 6 MONTH delivery. The Chiefs answer was "Well we have always bought from ....." My department always bought from the same guy untill the old farts got kicked out and we started to shop around. No Matter what gear, scba, nozzle you buy have an open mind and give everyone a fair shake and honest review. Do not buy what you buy cause that is what you have ALWAY bought. If that was the case how come we are not still using open cab trucks with 150 gpm pumps and booster hoses to go into fires. Well have fun

Forum Member

Globe can do any closure you specify.I'm currently using Securitex SMS but it's pretty worn after 5 yrs.Currently looking a Globe with the Millenia outer but it's a bit pricey at $1300 a set.Check out the material though, I believe it's gonna wear way better than PBI.T.C.

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: Rescue 101 ]

Thread Information