Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Default Getting a live fire dispatch started.

Okay, I do our department's web page and have a section of recorded audio on it. I want to get a live dispatch started, I have to computer and cable modem and I have the scanner and connection to the computer for it. Now what software do I need to get this thing working??? I'm getting frustrated!! Only 1 "slight" drawback, I'm paying for everything out of my own pocket so I'm hoping the word free is involved in as much of the software I need as possible...
    Edwardsville Emergency Services, Station 10. Home to the 11 Engine, 15 Rescue (Triple Nickel), 113 Truck (Albatross), 14 Ambulance, 15 Ambulance.
    We came, we saw, WE KICKED IT'S A $$!!!

Give the webmaster of our site a quick try. He can point you in the right direction...[URL=www.dcvfd.org] Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
    Hey, it's MY opinion, not that of my department or peers.

Forum Member

Lumpy,

I'm off to bed now (morning comes wwwwaaaayyyy too quick anymore. * L * ) But I'll check that out as soon as I get home from work tomorrow night. Thanks!!!
    Edwardsville Emergency Services, Station 10. Home to the 11 Engine, 15 Rescue (Triple Nickel), 113 Truck (Albatross), 14 Ambulance, 15 Ambulance.

Hey One13Truck, I was just told tonight about software put out by Live365.com that hooks it up for you. You need the equipment, of course. I havent looked into it myself, but if you check out http://www.live365.com , I am sure they have some info somewhere on the site.

One13Truck,

Being a "Techno Computer Neo Maxi Zoon Dweebie" for my "real job" I have a few tidbits to offer you.

1) Better do some snooping through your service agrement with your ISP to make sure they don't have any type of restrictions aginst this (Esp if you're going to stream a very busy frequency) Lots of Streaming Audio = Lots of Bandwith and after a certian level they may charge you extra (or deny you service )

2) Check out Software download sites such as TuCows or ZDNet THey have a pretty good selection of Freeware/Adware/Shareware - just look under or search for "Streaming Audio"
    I know for a fact that TuCows has an entire section for Audio/Video Streaming.

3) I don't think that Live365 is going to work for you (sorry). From what I read about it this morning it's geared more toward creating a Web Radio and works from a play list of pre-created files. Granted you could probably Kludge (pronounced Kloo-JA) your way through recording the scanner ,converting it to an acceptable format for live365, and adding it to the playlist dynamicly - but the lag time would be HUGE (o.k. maybe it would only be a few minutes - but for a "real time" broadcast - thats huge).

4) Another option is (as suggested before) look at other sites with streaming audio and see if it says what they are using (if not contact the web master and ask them).

Wish you the best of luck. How about you come back and tell us what you find. I think I have gotten the "bug" to do this myself. After all our station is unmanned and has a cable 'net connection - why not put it to use ?? Hmmmmmmmm

Take Care - Stay Safe
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: N2DFire ]
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

N2DFire,

I'll have to check that out,and with work I haven't had the time to check out DCFD's yet either. Hopefully tomorrow, of course I said that today but I kinda got a little busy at a fire.

One more thing might or might not affect any advise I get here, the computer being used is an iMac, so anything recommended has to be Mac compatible, not for Windows!!!!

Forum Member

N2DFire,

I think I got it working!!! I have a test feed set up at: www.angelfire.com/pa3/DaBurgh/Station10.html let me know if this works or not (may need to download the software on the page it links to in able to hear it, and be advised I was the only one who seemed to be able to get it to work for them during the tests tonight). So it may be up, it may not be but I'm at least getting closer!!!

[ 07-20-2001: Message edited by: One13Truck ]

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

One13Truck,

Onondaga County, NY just set up a live dispatch feature. Here's their site address:
    www.signal99.com

You might contact their webmaster and see if they can give you any advice. Good luck.

Stay safe out there everyone!
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Hey, whats wrong with macs? I use them at home, and aside from the limited software available, they're great...I'd say windows based machines are better at stats, but macs are better with graphic based applications...

Think different!

Of course, Linux kicks all their butts...
    My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Forum Member

TruroFAO,

Nothing at all. I wouldn't give my Mac up for anything. I fight with a windows piece of junk 9 hours a day, 6 days a week at work and hate every second of it (the computer and the job ). I just wish it didn't take a month of searching before finding something to use by accident when if I had a windows it could've been up in April.... Now if they only made a Mac that did something for my spelling....

One13Truck

Cool work bud.
    I haven't had a chance to check out the Bets site (as far as listning) yet, but I will.

Just make sure you keep really good notes so you can tell the rest of us how it's done.

BTW - I never said there was anything wrong with an iMac either, but after doing the 8 to 5 thing working with x86 based stuff running Windows 9X, NT 4, Windows 2000, and Alpha based stuff running OpenVMS - I just hon't have the heart (or mental capicity) to learn another system

Wish you luck with continued testing - if you run across any stumbling blocks feel free to shoot me an E-mail. Worst thing that can happen is I tell you I have no clue

Take Care - Stay Safe
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic

P.S. - the rest of the site (that I had time to look through) looked great too.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Thread Information