Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Firefighter Training Bashing by a Fool

this was wriiten on 7/11/01 , it should be noted because bad and begative press hurts us all.Naples Daily News, 7/11/01

Island Voices
    Wednesday, July 11, 2001
    Burning over union
    I believe the International Association of Fire Fighters is unsurpassed as a propaganda and public relations organization.

This union's functions include acquisition and expansion of politi cal control at state, and national levels, assisting local unions in acquisition and control at local levels, securing the best possible contract terms for the local union and creating and perpetuating the "firefighter" image as a super hero engaged in fearless deeds of valor with selfless dedication to service. A white knight straight from Camelot.

We are continually barraged by the media with fearsome sights of flaming horror, firemen in full regalia, huge fire trucks or helicopters, ladders and spewing hoses, and all presented as though it was in our own backyard.

Another scene portrays a fireman beside a hook and ladder fire truck, answering questions with the wisdom of Solomon, intellect of Einstein, and capabilities of Superman. Dozens of other situations pursue this same theme, ad infinitum.

Sometimes show business would gag a goat.
    These stylized programs are not coincidental. They are marketed by aggressive and highly- experienced publicity personnel.

They can and do exploit every conceivable aspect and nuance of psychological persuasion and conditioning to create the desired image. This brainwashing continues until its victims see only the projected tableau, and never the perverse or unpalatable truths that my lurk below the surface.

Unfortunately, the simple facts are that no IQ, educational, or psychological standards must be met to become a fireman. In 12 weeks, any ordinary person who is reasonably strong and healthy, can become a fully-trained, certified, and effective Florida State fireman. This job requires nothing more.

Charles Slagle, Marco Island

feel free to write to the editor of this newspaper and complain or even track this slime down and give him a piece of your mind.
    nullCharles Slagle, Marco Island

Unfortunately, the simple facts are that no IQ, educational, or psychological standards must be met to become a fireman. In 12 weeks, any ordinary person who is reasonably strong and healthy, can become a fully-trained, certified, and effective Florida State fireman. This job requires nothing more.
    One thing Mr. Slagle failed to mention it takes to be a firefighter...BALLS

MembersZone Subscriber

He must have not had enough IQ to get on some where or maybe one of the lads ran off with his wife.

hey but everyone knows what kind of person he is just even after reading the article.
    the a**hole who won't yeild the right of way to the engine going down the road and then his first words will always be "what took you so long to get here!!"

typical reporter- open mouth insert foot
    Robert A. Klinger, Jr.
    (FIREFIGHTER)

guys here is what my mother had to say on the subject
    To the idiot that wrote the letter about firemen being super heros, etc. You obviously have never met a truly dedicated fireman. I have. I was married to one for 20 years and my son is also a fireman. I have 2 brothers who are firemen and a nephew as well. I have been around a lot of these men and women who will go out of their way to save his scrawny butt. He is an ignorant person who does not know about the hundreds and thousands of hours that are devoted to training by these persons. You have to have some intelligence and gumption just to pass most of the written and practical tests. I hope that his house doesn't go up in flames or his family is not injured in a wreck, etc. I'm sure that the people he is so quick to malign would still show up to pull them out of a car or put out his fire.
    Firemen are for the most part very dedicated to their profession, even to the point of letting that same profession dictate the rest of their lives, ie. their family life, marriage, etc. They are good people and should be appreciated, not run down.
    Tammy Henderson
    Arden, NC
    2197 10-8<br />stay safe have fun stay healthy<br />
    nc firefighter/emt-d
    RFB-FTM

Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

http://www.naplesnews.com/index-marco.html

Write this editor a nice nasty letter telling them your feelings about this jerk. There is another story about their firehouse on this site. Just scroll down for 7-11-01 and go to the island voices section, then e-mail the editor. Not sure if this was an editorial or a letter from an individual with a bone to pick (looks more like an editorial). Either way let the paper know what you think.

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: FireLt1951 ]

I am an office manager for my local fire department, I'm not a Fire Fighter. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I was raised to look up to people who made a living out of saving other peoples lives, especially Fire Fighters. I almost cried when I read that article.
    Just so you know, this is the letter I sent in reply. I hope you guys don't mind the 'hero worship' But I want you to know how much you mean to me and my family.

2001 Reported United States Fire Fighter Deaths: 59

That is 59 men and women that will never again be able to kiss their families, men and women that were Fire Fighters. To think that these were only the ones that were reported to Firehouse.com. How many more are there that have made the ultimate sacrifice that most of us will never hear about?
    Being a Fire Fighter is more than just an image. The men and women who have made a profession out of saving lives deserve at least our respect if nothing else. They are subjected to tedious hours of training that requires not only physical aptitude but mental affinity as well.
    Training burns, drills, drivers training, Emergency Medical Technician certification, and a whole score of other events fill their days with rigorous duties. How is it then that people like Mr. Slagel form an opinion that our nation’s Fire Fighter’s are mentally inept?
    The most heart-wrenching thing about this is that this is not the only instance of some one bashing the Fire Service. This is a common occurrence.
    Of course these individuals are heroes. They are now, always have been, and always will be heroes to all of us, even those of us refusing to admit it. If confronted by the children of the 59+ deceased Fire Fighters, will Mr. Slagel look into those faces and say, “Your daddy wasn’t a hero, he died because he was a showboat.”
    I think not.

This is easy enough.

1. If his house ever catches fire, let him put it out himself.

2. Let's see if his sorry hide could make it through the training.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

I'm thinking he's the welfare bum who took the fire test so he could work 11 days a month, sleep on the job and be lazy, and soon found out that wasn't what firefighting is like as well as failing the test. So now he's mad. Oh well there are more of us than there are him, and our brotherhood is a hell of alot stronger.

-Nick

Charles Slagle and others of this mindset remind me of an old proverb...

Those who cannot do...criticize!

He must be a politician who is afraid of what NFPA 1710 will mean to his wallet!

Proud member of the IAFF, Marlborough Firefighters Local 1714!

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: Captain Gonzo ]
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Somewhere along the way this guy's business probably got cited by a fire inspector or some other "insult". He'll change his tune when he needs us. It's just too bad that newspaper chose to print his bile.

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: WTFDFF10 ]
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

I want to say thank you for the all the great letters. I have already responded to the editor about this moron, but if you doa Yahoo search, this jerks address and phone number are available, lol I am going to write him a lil letter next. He opened up the wrong can of worms. Stay low every one .
    IraG918, Formerly of Long Beach FD (NY)
    H&L2 , presently recruit class Coral Springs Fire Academy #200102 "SmokeEaters"
    IraG918
    X Long Beach Fire Dept. NY
    Presently , a recruit in Coral Springs(FL) FD Academy.
    Stay Low Brothers

Once again, a prime example of one who does not understand what it's all about, judging a book by it's cover... so often ignorance is shown through an open mouth.
    Hey, it's MY opinion, not that of my department or peers.

It seems that ignorance is bliss. Mr. Slagle has obviously showed he does not research the stories that he writes about. If he had only went to the academy and sat in on a few of the classes, participated in a few of the live drills or just visited his local firehouse I would hope his viewpoint would be different. It isn't the idea of him writing with his head up his a**, it is the point of his readers will believe the s**t. He has no clue what it is like to run all day, complete your daily training, housework and whatever your management has dreamed up for you only to be awakened at 2 in the morning and be expected to be at peak preformance no matter if it is an ems call that lasts an hour or an extra alarm fire that lasts 10. He dosen't understand that we do this for ourselves, for the pride of helping others. I know that there are alot of you out there that would do this or are volunteer. We would make a living elsewhere but we would still give 110% when it came to our dept. I hope all of my brothers and sisters send a letter to the newspaper and the local depatrments organize a boycott of that newspaper until he prints a retraction of this horses**t story. Because that is all it is, a fairy tale thought up by an insecure man who has to find something to degrade other than himself. We all should have pride in our dept., company, and ourselves for choosing a profession that others cannot, will not,or choose not to do. Good bless you all here and gone. Be safe out there.

Dont sweat it guys, 9 out of 10 people that read that are gonna say "What a nimrod" when they finish it, the other one will agree with him, and thats about the percentage 10% a**holes. We can live with that cant we? You cant educate idiots.

Here is the letter I sent to the editor of this newspaper. Some people will never get it, but it never hurts to educate the uneducated.

I recently read the following article by Mr. Slagle. I have included my own thoughts. Thank you.

Burning over union
    I believe the International Association of Fire Fighters is unsurpassed as a propaganda and public relations organization.

"The International Association of Fire Fighters does many things, but it is not a propaganda and public relations organization. The main goal of this organization is to ensure that all fire fighters are protected with safety guidelines, that we are given proper funding, and that we are heard by the local, State, and Federal governments. They fight to get laws that protect us and the communities we serve, and most recently fought with the Federal Government to ensure that we were given the FIRE Act Grant Funding that we were promised, but that President Bush and his associates felt was not needed. The IAFF does not, however, spend their time helping Hollywood to portray a false idea of what we do on the fire ground."

This union's functions include acquisition and expansion of political control at state, and national levels, assisting local unions in acquisition and control at local levels, securing the best possible contract terms for the local union and creating and perpetuating the "firefighter" image as a super hero engaged in fearless deeds of valor with selfless dedication to service. A white knight straight from Camelot.

"Until the day that Mr. Slagle presents to me a copy of his State Fire Fighter Certificate, I don't feel that he should comment on our valor, strength, or selflessness. I often leave family and friends to respond to medical and fire emergencies, and am very rarely thanked for the service I provide. I volunteer, and am not part of any union. If Mr. Slagle had checked his facts he would find that 3/4 of the departments in this country are volunteer, and are not union affiliated in any way. If we want a new ordinance in our township, we vote on it as a body of the Fire Department, then we go to the township meeting to present our case, the IAFF does not come to our little town and fight for us. I cannot wait until the day when we are a paid department. The people that we protect have no idea how easy they have it. When their taxes go up 10% to help pay for fire and emergency medical services then they will realize how lucky they are to have us. What really amazes me is that we have an open house every year and that very few people come to this to see what we are all about. They would rather complain about us and the fact that it took us a whole 4 minutes to get to their house fire then find out what we do and why. Even before I was a Fire Fighter/EMT I respected what these people did in the community. My father was seriously injured and had it not been for the Rescue Squad I don't know if he would be here today. They did their job and went home to their family at the end of their shift. Luckily for my family they were there to help because at the end of that day my father came home with us."

We are continually barraged by the media with fearsome sights of flaming horror, firemen in full regalia, huge fire trucks or helicopters, ladders and spewing hoses, and all presented as though it was in our own backyard.

"Yes Hollywood goes over board with these images. I agree with that. However, it is Hollywood. Have you ever seen a cop dodge a bullet in real life? No. So why pick on the Fire Fighters? Cops are portrayed as selfless heroes every night on TV. They get paid to do what they do so they should have to go through more intense training, more testing, etc. If you expect people to volunteer to save your life whether in an emergency medical or fire situation, you cannot expect them to take time off of work to go through the training. We get 0 compensation for the training we do put in. And our training is ongoing. We don't go through EMT or Fire School and then just stop. EMTs are required to take so many hours of courses every year to keep up their certifications. Fire Fighters have weekly drills and are also required to take certain courses to keep up their training. Personally I spend every Monday night from 6:30-9:30 at a fire drill, and two Tuesdays a month from 7:30-9:00 at a Rescue Drill. I also put in countless hours maintaining trucks and running calls. I do this because I love it. Not because I am a hero, or want anyone to think of me in that way. Very few of us will actually ever have the opportunity to be a hero to anyone other than the person whose life we save and their family. Our 15 minutes of fame rarely comes."

Another scene portrays a fireman beside a hook and ladder fire truck, answering questions with the wisdom of Solomon, intellect of Einstein, and capabilities of Superman. Dozens of other situations pursue this same theme, ad infinitum.

"Do you know the weight of 100 feet of 5 inch hose? Can you recite to me the water friction loss in 2, 3, or 5 inch hose? Do you know what PSI, or GPM is? What is a water hammer? What size and length of hose should be used at a house fire? What trucks do you send out for a car accident, a house fire? Can you recite the normal pulse, respiration, or bp for adults, children, and infants? Can you tell me how to know when someone is in shock, when to apply oxygen to a victim, how to bag a victim, how to keep the public away from a fatal accident, how to stay calm to preserve the air in your oxygen bottle when you are surrounded by flames, water, and electrical wires popping around you? No? Then until you experience this, please don't comment on it."

Sometimes show business would gag a goat.
    These stylized programs are not coincidental. They are marketed by aggressive and highly- experienced publicity personnel.

"Do not lump the IAFF, NFPA, or any other fire related organization in with Hollywood. Hollywood is built on special effects, over exaggeration, and glitz. When you put on 60 lbs. of gear, go into a burning building that is about 300 degrees, and add an additional 30 lbs. of weight from the water your gear has soaked up, and manage to crawl through the building dragging 100 feet of fully charged hose, find the fire, and put it out without getting anyone hurt, you are not showing me Hollywood glitz, you are showing me strength, determination, and a passion for what you do. At the end of a fire I am not a hero, I am tired, worn out, and ready to go home to my bed. No one comes up to me and takes my picture or gives me a million dollars, instead I spend the next 3 hours rolling hose, cleaning trucks, going over the call with the other Fire Fighters from my station, etc."

They can and do exploit every conceivable aspect and nuance of psychological persuasion and conditioning to create the desired image. This brainwashing continues until its victims see only the projected tableau, and never the perverse or unpalatable truths that my lurk below the surface.

"So since it requires no education, no IQ, and no mental stability, I guess you are the prime candidate for the Fire Academy. We are tested on the fire ground, in the classroom, and in live fire situations. This job is not easy, it is not for the weak, the unprofessional, or those that cannot endure lots of hard work. We are pushed to the limit every time we go out to a call. Whether it be to direct traffic (the public hates to be tied up, just last week a lady nudged one of our fire fighters with her car because she was late to an appointment, she had no concern for his personal safety but yet had she then wrecked her car a quarter of the mile up the road we would have responded and saved her just like we would do for anyone else), put out a house fire, rescue a child, save a life, extricate victims from a major motor vehicle accident, or just go check out an alarm activation to make sure that there really is no fire or no threat to life and property at that location. We do it all. And for what? Because we love what we do. We enjoy helping the community, we like making a difference, and because we just can. Mr. Slagle, I pray to God that you and yours never need the assistance of the Fire Department or Rescue Squad. Unfortunately if you ever did, we would be there, risking our lives to save yours. With no thank you, no monetary gain, and no respect from you. It is just what we do with the minimal education, IQ, and mental stability that you believe we possess."
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Well said hctrouble25!

I come into work every third day, I do my job to the best of my ability and I go home.

I couldn't care less if people love me solely because I'm a firefighter or hate me for the same reason.

So what if this guy doesn't like us just because of what we do. I'm not overly thrilled with reporters, but I'm not going to start bashing him "just because".

Take care of yourselves, be professional AT AT ALL TIMES and don't let this schlep get you down.
    JMD

mE gOt no eDumAcatiOnal stttandArds so I tRy type tHis HeRe repLy tHe bESt i Kan......

One quick question before I jump on my soap box. If we're given tests that we must pass, isn't that a standard???

But seriously, as much as I try to take reporter speak with a grain of salt, sometimes I can't pass up the opportunity to comment.

I guess Mr. Slagle is correct here, it takes no IQ to study today's modern vehicles crashed on the interstate and figure out how to safely, yet quickly bend, cut and pry our way in to remove the unfortunate victim. And I guess it takes no educational standards to calculate fire flows as an engineer at a structure fire or monitor air quality and clean up spills as a HazMat Tech. Not to mention, does Mr. Slagle even comprehend that in many cities across the country when you call 9-1-1 for chest pains or some other calamity that the first vehicle you see arrive with TRAINED help may just be an Engine or a Ladder. From his apparent lack of a clue, he probably never even considered that either.

But hey, as one of the original posts stated, regardless of what Mr. Slagle thinks it takes and doesn't take to be a FF, one thing it definitely takes is the proverbial 'cajones' - something Mr. Slagle probably lacks since he chose to hide behind print and bash an organization made up of selfless human beings. An organization that will crawl out of bed at 03:30 because little Mrs Jones thinks she smells something funny in her house. An organization who regardless of who you are, what you are or where you are, will give 110% effort to help return your life to 'normal'

An organization, regardless of one man's opinion, that I will ALWAYS be proud to be a member of!!!!

I realize this will make the post a bit long, but this needs to be posted and even sent to Mr. Slagle.

" I Wish You Could "

I wish you could see

the sadness of a business man as his livelihood goes up in flames or that family returning home, only to find their house and belongings damaged or destroyed.

I wish you could know

what it is to search a burning bedroom for trapped children, flames rolling above your head, your palms and knees burning as you crawl,the floor sagging under your weight as the kitchen beneath you burns.

I wish you could comprehend

a wife's horror at 3 A.M. as I check her husband of forty years for a pulse and find none. I start CPR anyway, hoping against the odds to bring him back, knowing intuitively it is too late. But wanting his wife and family to know everything possible was done.

I wish you could know

the unique smell of burning insulation, the taste of soot-filled mucus, the feeling of intense heat through your turnout gear, the sound of flames crackling,and the eeriness of being able to see absolutely nothing in dense smoke sensations that I have become too familiar with.

I wish you could understand

how it feels to go to work in the morning after having spent most of the night, hot and soaking wet at a multiple alarm fire.

I wish you could read

my mind as I respond to a building fire, 'Is this a false alarm or a working, breathing fire? How is the building constructed? What hazards await me? Is anyone trapped or are they all out?' or to an EMS call, 'What is wrong with the patient? Is it minor or life-threatening? Is the caller really in distress
    or is he waiting for us with a 2x4 or a gun?'

I wish you could be

in the emergency room as the doctor pronounces dead the beautiful little five-year old girl that I have been trying to save during the past twenty-five minutes, who will never go on her first date or say the words, "I love you Mommy," again.

I wish you could know

the frustration I feel in the cab of the engine, the driver with his foot pressing down hard on the pedal, my arm tugging again and again at the air horn chain, as you fail to yield right-of-way at an intersection or
    in traffic. When you need us, however, your first comment upon our arrival will be, "It took you forever to get here!"

I wish you could read

my thoughts as I help extricate a girl of teenage years from the mangled remains
    of her automobile, 'What if this were my sister, my girlfriend, or a friend?
    What were her parents' reactions going to be
    as they open the door to find a police officer,

I wish you could know

how it feels to walk in the back door and greet my parents and family,not having the heart to tell them that I nearly did not come home from this last call.

I wish you could feel

my hurt as people verbally, and sometimes physically, abuse us or belittle what we do, or as they express their attitudes of, It will never happen to me.

I wish you could realize

the physical, emotional, and mental drain of missed meals, lost sleep, and forgone social activities, in addition to all the tragedy my eyes have viewed.

I wish you could know

the brotherhood and self-satisfaction of helping save a life or preserving someone's
    property, of being there in times of crisis, or creating order from total CHAOS.

I wish you could understand

what it feels like to have a little boy tugging on your arm and asking, "Is my Mommy O.K.?" Not even being able to look in his eyes without tears falling from your own and not knowing what to say. Or to have to hold
    back a long-time friend who watches his buddy having rescue breathing done on him as they take him away in the ambulance. You knowing all along he did not have his seat belt on.

Sensations that I have become too familiar with.

Unless you have lived this kind of life, you will never truly understand or appreciate
    who I am, what we are, or what our job really means to us.

I WISH YOU COULD!

This guy needs to come to Texas next week (July 22 thru the 27th) at College Station for Municiple fire school. The Temp will be above 100 and the humidity around 70 to 85 per cent with all kinds of fires. You can lose 10 lbs in an hour or two. Or perhaps he needs to go to Baltimore with the train derailment. Thankfully not all media reps are like him. Let him go work with Mongo in the Dallas area for a month of shifts.

He really needs an education. LC

Thread Information