Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default SOP for lost or damaged equipment

Just wondering if any smaller paid dept's who carry pagers for "call backs" have a policy for lost or damaged equipment. ie who pays for it?
    I welcome all comments vol. also. But please let me know in your post which you come from. No offense intended just for my own information from a recent problem within our dept.

From a volunteer dept in PA, we carry insurance on our members and their property on a scene. I take it not everyone else does?
    Do you mean personal property or fire dept owned equipment? I thought I understood, but im confused.
    It is better to try and fail, then quit and succeed.

What kind of pager are you talking about and what were the circumstances? If the pager was lost/damaged while on duty at a call, it should be repaired or replaced at the FD's expense. If it was lost/damaged while off duty, that's up for the administration to decide.

My Department (career) recently issued alpha numeric pagers (Motorola Advisor Elites)to everyone. I also have an Motorola Advisor pager from East Coast Paging Systems. Pager insurance is part of the contract. There is a small deductible I have to pay for the ECPS pager, the City pays the insurance for the FD pager.

I hope this helps you.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Small volunteer dept. Lost equipment is paid for by the dept so long as the loss is "reasonable". We write off one pager every 3 or 4 years - usually dropped and not recovered while doing things on the "honey do" list. Small price to pay for someone who is willing to be on call.
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

MembersZone Subscriber

Also a small volunteer department. We carry personal pagers, not radio pagers. The department supplies each firefighter with their pager and will replace it once for free. Beyond that, it's up to the member to foot the bill.

As far as I know, however, no one has lost one on a scene yet, but a couple of guys have lost them somewhere else.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

MembersZone Subscriber Firefighter430's Avatar

We are an all volunteer, rural department. If the pager (Minitor II), walkie, turnout gear, etc. is lost/damaged at a scene or on call we will replace. If the person is a repeat loser of items then they start paying the cost of replacement. Everyone loses things from time to time but if you have someone who is always losing or destroying things you need to talk to that person and see if they have a problem.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

These are department issued Minitor III pagers issued to each person. We carry these home to receive "call back pages" Our department will do this with excessive calls or all structure fires. In this particular incident someone lost it some time after the recall. But not fure when (in transit to the station or after arriving at the scene.) I'm a little hard headed. I feel as long as a person is not irresponsible at a repeat offender with lost and damaged equipment. The department cannot of course require us to return for these calls becuase we are uncompensated. However it is a good way to pick up overtime. I think a lost pager even off duty is a small price to pay when they can consistantly get 3-6 off duty personell to come in off duty

well to quote the exact SOG, since we have one for EVERY thing in the world! I couldnt do it...but it really depends on what it is...if its a Portable radio and it falls into the water or gets damaged the city will cover it...but if we lose or damage anything because of our negligence, we get to join the elusive 20$ a month club
    Its not something you do,
    Its something you are.
    "Whether we bring the terrorists to justice, or we bring justice to the terroists...Justice WILL BE DONE"... President Bush
    Engineer
    Engine Co. # 1
    THESE ARE JUST MY OPINIONS AND OPINIONS ONLY!!!

Thread Information