Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In station and home alerting systems

How does your 911 dispatch alert your station and volunteers of incoming emergency calls? In Washington County we use Minitor 2 pagers and some stations have house sirens for home alerting, and for in station alerting we have klaxon buzzers and some stations have bells. I know in my ambulance station we have 4 klaxon buzzers and in the bunk room and office, when the klaxon sounds, the red lights in those rooms come on, and then about 10 seconds later the white lights in those rooms and the entire station come on. How is your station and volunteers alerted to an emergency call? I'm curious to all the different ways that it is done, especially in some older city departments.
    James Ulrich, EMT-B - Smithsburg Emergency Medical Services
    Deputy Chief - Hagerstown Fire Department Explorer Post 321

Well here in O'Fallon Illinois we belive in triple redundancy. This means each of our volunteers carry either a minitor 2 or 3, we have what we call a group alert system which our 911 dispatch center picks up a telephone on top of the consloe and our phone ring continusouly untill they hang up, and the third is the tryed and true siren on top of the fire house it's been there a long time and is not leaving anytime soon.
    The views here are mine and do not reflect that of my department or any of it's members.

Main notification is by Minitor II pagers.

Simultaneous dispatch to commercial alpha pagers that about 2/3rds of hte members have. Many, like myself, primarily rely on these and leave the Minitor II in the charger 24x7.

Siren at our main station 8am to 10pm for fires and auto accidents. Siren removed from Station 2 about 5 years ago.

Nothing special in the stations, other than several scanners in the main rooms...plus your personal pagers.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Minitor IIs for all members, except Officers have Minitor IIIs on trial basis to see how they work. Second is alpha pagers - most members have these but we have to buy these and pay $90 per year for them because the township won't give us money. These also have a 2 minute delay on them from the initial call and do not update calls. Third is the siren on the firehouse. I am too far to hear it most of the time...but members who live right in town can hear it. This siren is loud enough to wake the dead so we don't need anything else inside the station. Although we do have a police/fire scanner in the bar room, one in the office, and one in the engine room.
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

no longer with 126, but can't find where to edit this thing above

Paid Medic:
    Each Bus has its own tones. We have two radios per crew that alerts to your truck. We also have alph that gives you all the info you need, and updates if the dispatch center isn't too busy.

Vol Fire:
    All the membership has Minitor III's. We have our siren on our station, but it has been shut off . I guess when people move next door to a fire station, they feel that they now have the right to get it turned off cause its too loud. I'll bet they want to hear it when... that is another thread.

Those of you who still have your siren, keep fighting for it(if you even have to).
    Just my 2 cents....3 before taxes

Fir Na Tine

newasstchief, i agree with you. our towns people wanted the siren shut down but they settled for it to be shut down only from 9 pm to 9 am. that siren has been there for longer than they all have been here... live with it. when it is them having an emergency i bet they would want it to sound so that volunteers came to the station for the call.

In our country, 911 center sends out the tones, and the pagers go off. In my dept, we also have an overhead paging system so when our tones go off, a bell in the lounge hits, the speakers get loud, while in monitor mode the volume is adjustable, but when the tones hit, the volume hits a set level, and on top of all that, the good ole siren goes through a cycle. All the firefighters are issued minitor IIs and the officers and some of the guys have the new minitor III. An option in our county is the alphanumeric system. For 60 dollars for 6 months, you recieve unlimited pages and your depts calls.
    -Stay Safe

Both FD and ambulance have tone/voice paging system over Minitors. For FD I have a minitor II and for ambulance I have a III. Tried getting a dual freq II so I didn't have to carry 2, but no luck. So, pagers usually stay at home and my Motorola HT1250 pportable had the tones set into it. We also have a siren on station 2 which is shut off at the moment(last 2 years) due to neighbors complaining. Station 1's siren is 10-7 after we built a new station. We haven't found a suitale location for it yet.
    HELL YEAH!!!
    The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

Our alert system is all VHF radio, each station in the county has a set of tones, and our radios and pagers have those tones set into them. We really don't have anything special at the station except for a base radio, you just have to keep yours on and listen. We currently have a mix of radios, most have the HT1000, a few have HT1250, a few have HT750, and there is even a couple of MT1000 out. I've got an HT1000, and a Minitor (the original) pager, there's 3 of them still in service as far as I know. Were looking to get a few Mintor II's and maybe a few Keynotes used from other departments pretty soon.

cfr3504, our tones and minitor paging system is set up just as yours. each company has their own paging tones and in station klaxon alerting tones in addition to our new alpha-numeric paging system which some members use as optional

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by nsfdjr:
    In my dept, we also have an overhead paging system so when our tones go off, a bell in the lounge hits, the speakers get loud, while in monitor mode the volume is adjustable, but when the tones hit, the volume hits a set level
    Do you know the technical details of how this system is set up? What sets the bell off, raises the volume, etc. Just curious how this works. Thanks.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

WTFD,
    They may have a minitor II or III pager with an amplification system hooked up to it. The pagers can be set for the tones to go off at max volume and then monitor at user setable level
    HELL YEAH!!!
    The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

WTFDFF10 and EFDems841,

my station uses the same system for in station alerting system using the speakers as nsfdjr posted. i know that our system is not used by minitors with amplifiers... i'm not sure exactly how it works, but for our 2 plectrons, 1 is set for alert speakers and 1 is set for alert lighting. the alert speaker recognizes the tone that is used to set off our company pagers, and the speakers get loud and "open up" as we call it.. to override all other noise. it is helpful especially in the middle of the night if you dont have the volume turned up to monitor channel 1. the klaxon will go off, the lights come on, and the speakers get loud... then the call is dispatched... it is a very intricate and well laid out design used in our station and a few of the other fortunate stations in the county.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by EMT79JFU:
    i'm not sure exactly how it works, but for our 2 plectrons, 1 is set for alert speakers and 1 is set for alert lighting.
    Ahh Plectrons, which I've heard they don't make anymore

Anybody know what they're asking for those Veetronix recievers advertised in the back of Firehouse magazine? I couldn't find prices on their website.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

In my dept all the ff's have minitor 2's and the officer's have minitor 3's. We have a siren but we dont use it for runs. It sounds at noon every day and during curtain events.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber PaulChristenson's Avatar

Fire Dept and Rescue Squad have tone paging systems using Minitors II and IIIs. For FD I have a minitor II and for Rescue I have a III.
    Paul in VT
    Every man is as God made him, ay, and often worse.
    Miguel de Cervantes

A person dishonored is worst than dead.
    Miguel de Cervantes

howdy all
    in my dept we all have mintor3high band dual tone
    short tone is station tone
    long tone is all call
    have set up at station that any tone hits the lights come on the speckers get real loud and we here the call
    give me a email adress any i will try to get some info to you from our commonacation officer
    have a station serian on station 1 and 2 but only used on fire safty week because of the neibhors wish thous puppies would go off on every call
    stay safe and have fun
    (put the wet stuff on the red stuff)
    2197 10-8<br />stay safe have fun stay healthy<br />
    nc firefighter/emt-d
    RFB-FTM

Hello everyone from the Fairview Fire Department, Fairview Heights, IL.

We all carry the Minitor II with Sotred Voice. This Allows for message play back in case you didn't catch the location and Nature of the call when it was paged out. This information is stored and stays in the pager until you clear it by turning the pager off and then turning it back on, or a new call is initiated. Also all the Officers have a secondary channel that is used to dispatch Duty Officers only. Plus all officers carry portables that have several of the surrounding departments frequencies, as well as National Weather Service and the page tones in the radio. As for our stations we have the paging tones broadcast through out the station over a internal network.

Good Post.

Forum Member

In my current and past departments there have been a few ways that it is done.
    Past Vol department. Fire fighters have Min 2/3's There was also a station Buzzer Kinda like the Squad 51 one. In the station lights came on and the security system was turned off for 15 mins.
    My current Vol Station Has nothing special Min 1/2/3's and the House Siren 8am 10pm.

The station that I work for Paid on Call has everything. They have High band Min 2/3's. The low band min 1's and Plectrons that are tripped by the repeater system that rebrodcasts the countys highband transmition over our old low band private. We still Have and Use the Gamewell street boxes We have @30 street boxes and 6 master boxes in the high hazzard buildings around town. The Gamewell master boxes in the Highrises trip the bells in the station for the duty crew @ 2 seconds after a smoke alarm tips. We usually getting out of the truck when the pagers trip from the county. We still have a air horn sytem that trips on a second alarm The first alarm is the duty crew (3 firefighters at the station 24/7 365) and about 5 other firfighters that are on call that week Second alarm gets us a realert for everybody and Bls truck. There is also a electronic EMA siren that County or us can set off. When a call comes in at the station the buzzer rings and the bunkroom lights come on. There are also lights around the station red fire and green ems that turn on for 10mins after a call. Also after the county system took a crap again last month we set up at the EMA trailor at the trainning grounds to set off out own pagers. We just got the tone generation software in a computer and hold a radio mike next to the speaker crude but it works. Our neighboring fire companies were asked if they wanted to have us set up to page them to but they declined (can't fix stupid). I love nothing more they to be on duty and have the gamewell bell ring. Last month we had gamewell street box pulled for a brush fire in front of a doctors office (class A foamed it and left) The last building fire that came in over a street box was about 10 years ago for a stip mall off and going at 4 am Any questions just e-mail me and I will ask how they get everthing to work

ARFF2/66 and choad33, very nice posts... thanks for the compliments and the info... it's interesting to know what different companies use and some of the technical things about your systems. very interesting. many thanks to everyone. keep them coming.

Thread Information