Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Minitor III

Default Minitor III

Currently we are using Minitor II pagers. Our officers were all purchased Minitor III pagers and have said that they are not working for them. Apparently these were first liked because they are smaller than the IIs and because they have a silent alert/vibrating alert option. However, they have all complained that the buttons move too easily and that sometimes they find the pager has gotten turned off by their pants or shirt rubbing against the buttons. What experience has everyone else had with these new pagers? Any other pagers out there that get used other than Alpha pagers?
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

no longer with 126, but can't find where to edit this thing above

We had the same problem(buttons moving)when we got our III's a year ago. We contacted Motorola, their "fix" was to send us nice little nylon carrying cases, free of charge of course. They (the cases)did solve the problem, and they keep the minitors clean too.

Other than that we haven't had any problems, so far (knock on wood).
    Just my 2 cents....3 before taxes

Fir Na Tine

we are ordering III's when our II's become broken and the only problem we had is the buttons poping off...........we got cases too
    ...fire fetish???......
    ...damn right!!!!

I just got a new Minitor III after my second Minitor II broke. So far I like it. I like the vibrate feature so the tones don't interrupt things at work. I haven't had a problem with the buttons moving, they are actually pretty stiff and don't move easily. I am wondering if they will loosen up after time.

Check out the Volunteer forum, there are several threads about problems with III's. I had one about 2 years ago from a Rescue Squad that I used to run with. I liked it overall, but I did have a few problems, like you said with the buttons being easy to knock off the settings. Several people had problems with the pagers not alerting. I had a problem with this at first, but found out that it was a mistake in progamming not the pager itself, but others were not fixed by reprogramming and never alerted consistently. I've heard that the early ones were much worse that the newer ones, they say Motorola has ironed out the early problems, but I can't say for sure, thats only hear-say. I've actually still got one of the orginal minitors, it still works fine, but is about 20 years old or so. I've used a Minitor II some and was happy with it.

Your Minitor III's may be under a recall if they are over about 6 months old. Depends on the Key Code. Motorola had a massive recall with knobs turning as one of the (many) problems. I have a newer one and haven't had a problem. The volume knob is really tough to turn so that doesn't happen. Any questions contact your Motorola dealer.
    HELL YEAH!!!
    The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

Forum Member

I have had... well been without my Min III for 3 months so far this year for it out to be fixed. The local dealer has finally (after a very forcefull conversation by our Bat Chief (we are buying $40,000 worth of radios))they gave me a loaner pager. The case if that is what you call it is a joke. Depending where you are they do not go off. I still got a Min I (brick) and it goes off all the time. PLEASE PLEASE Kenwood save us from Motorola

MembersZone Subscriber

My Minitor III is only about 2 months old and the knobs on mine are falling off. I also have the problem with the knobs switching channels. Hopefully Kenwood will come out with something better SOON !

AMEN Need a alternative fast
    Firefighter/NREMT-P/Public Safety Diver
    May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

AMEN Need a alternative fast
    Firefighter/NREMT-P/Public Safety Diver
    May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

Forum Member

Guess what all today I discovered that BOTH control knobs on the loaner pager the local Craporola dealer gave me are missing. Well at least this one goes off when my department gets a call. Mine should be back soon (one week down three more to go)

Kenwood we are all waiting and waiting and ....

In reguards to these junk minitor III pagers my department just recently pushased some. The problems we have found are the buttons moving on the channels not knowing if you are on alert or open channel, when selecting a certain channel sometimes you can not feel the knob click to see if it is in the proper position on the pager. What i do not understand why would Motorola put such a poor quality pager on the open market before really taking a good hard look at it first. It is my opinion that the minitor II pager was the best page rthey ever made why get rid of them. Surely someone was not using there head.

Thanks for all the great responses. Seems like the buttons are causing trouble everywhere. Motorola should have definitely done more testing on these...don't they realize that those of us in Emergency Services that use these things are always moving around and that if the buttons are not tight they will move?! Obviously not! Oh well...let's pray that Kenwood comes out with something quick. Thanks.
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Thread Information