Default When i get out of High School

Ok, i'm going to be a senior this coming school year! i was wondering from you full timers and Professionals what should be the first thing i do after i get out of high school? What classes should i take? should i go to college? if so what should i take? plan it all out for me! i also plan on getting the traning myself and not through a dept. so i don't have to feel obligated to stay and work for them! is that right, wrong? let me know!

thanks
    fireman_1

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

First, go and get your EMT-B training at least. Next go to your local Fire training provider and start getting your NFPA training. Get all that you can. Start putting in applications and testing with departments, every test you learn something new. Go and join a department and get experiance. That is important is experiance to go with your book smarts. College helps, go and get at least your general education classes done. Then find a college that provides EMS or Fire classes. Depending where you are, going and getting a degree in Paramedicine or Fire Sceince or Fire Protection is benificial. You need to plan this stuff out for yourself. What works for one won't nessecarily work for another.

Stay safe,

*Mark

God I hate to say this, but......Paramedic School.

It dosen't matter if you and the chief have the same name, or you're married to the mayor's daughter, no medic license, no job for the most part around here.

FF / EMT jobs are great if you can find them, but there will be 1000 people testing just like you, for 10 jobs. Paramedic license tends to cut down the numbers.

Go to college while you are waiting to land a job, it can't hurt. Practice interviewing, work out, hire a psychologist, and get a divorce lawyer on retainer.

Forum Member

Where in the state are you?

Most, maybe 95%, in the Central Ohio area, require paramedic cards to be fulltime... 240 card, too...volunteer departments are less stringent, maybe EMT-B and 36 hour FF card...

I've heard good things about the fire science program at the University of Maryland...You'd get the fire training you want, and a bachelor's degree too...The provide fire classes in return for your volunteering at one of the county stations, which provides EMS training...Some guys from PG are on the forums...Maybe they can provide more information...Oklahoma State also has one....If you're local, Columbus State has an associate's degree in fire science...Same for paramedic class...

Good luck....
    My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

thanks for all of the help! my sister went to columbus state and also lives in columbus too! i'll look into that one! anyone else have opinions or what did you do?

thanks again
    fireman_1

Train, train, train, then train some more! Books are great, but hands on is what gets you the knowledge you are gonna need to beat out others. I'll make it simple..I am on a fire department that does extrication...I am also on a rescue squad that does extrication. The difference is that the fire department has basic skills, and the rescue squad is the home of the international extrication champions. Big difference in the way things are done. The fire department gets the job done, but the rescue squad team does more with less...has better time (means patients chance of survival is greater) and is better equipped for a variety of situations. Because the rescue squad has more equipment and technicians at their disposal they get more training and better training. The fire department gets to do extrication work and drills but the focus is on fire training. So I utilize information and drills that the rescue squad has so I can further with my extrication training. So go out and meet people, make some good contacts, try to ride along on ambulances, etc. in big cities near where you live, and get that hands on experience. And of course go to college..it will only help you in the long run. Maryland is a great school I know a lot of guys that went there to get their Fire Degrees and they are all doing fantastic now with good paying jobs. Good luck to you.
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

FIRST, check into the Air National Guard. NOT the Army Guard, NOT the Army Reserve. If firefighting is your wish, stay with the Air Guard. They'll help pay for your college, send you to a fine fire school, and get you certified to FFI, II, Hazmat Ops, and Airport Firefighter.

Become an EMT. If you're state allows you be a paramedic before you're 21 be a paramedic. Get some street time as an EMT first. Most of the LARGER departments around here don't care what training you've had in the past. But if you're already a paramedic, that makes them very happy. The military base fire departments will like to see the fire certifcations from IFSAC (You'll get these from the Air Force fire school). This may get you get hired before anyone else should a federal position open up.

Good luck

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: Fedfire ]

MembersZone Subscriber

I just graduated high school. I am going to Shippensburg University next year to major in Public Administration. I am also going into the Air National Guard as a firefighter. My EMT is taken care of, I got that last year. In September I am signed up to take the test for the city of Philadelphia. That's my plan so far. As they come up, I want to take some tests for other cities. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open for criticism and I hope this might help you out in the future. Good Luck.
    DAN

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: FORT ff ]

Fedfire's post perplexes me, being from Ft. Riley, unless it's a federal position. Army reserve and Army guard both go to the same fire academy that air guard, AF, Army, and USMC all do. But it's whatever floats your boat. Whatever you do, if you don't get your Paramedic, it's most likely in vain...
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

Get at least EMT-B, keep your driving record VERY clean, apply ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE! keep taking exams. Get "Barron's Firefighter Exams" has a lot of testing and interview info. The military is good also, i agree with the other fellow stick with air force or air guard, better food and living conditions. (was in ARMY). don't lose site, dont expect to get hired your first time, KEEP TRYING! If you want it bad enough you will get it! It took me two years to get hired. GOOD LUCK MAN! I hope you sucseed!

Amen to the better food cmack, some of the stuff the dfac would pass off as edible was suspect...plus midnight chow at goodfellow was the s--t!
    I tested with a guy last fall that had started testing when he got out of high school in 93. Still testing. That's the kind of determination it could take. But look at it this way: every test that you take is one closer to the last one you'll have to take, cuz eventually it'll happen for you.
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

thanks for the encouragement!!! i'll see what i can do with all of this info! any body else have any input?
    fireman_1

Mr Freeze:
    Having been in the Army Reserve as a 51M for the last 20 years, I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO RECRUIT FOR THEM ANYMORE. In my deployments,we are put under the command of personnel who have absolutely no idea what a firefighting unit is for. They think we're there to wash streets, clean aircraft, and run the local car wash. Unfortunatly, an E-6 Fire Chief really has no authority over anyone outside the fire department. I have found the Air Force and the USMC to have the better of the active duty firefighting teams. Of course we all go to the same school, but you still have to serve once school's out. Do it in a service that will enhance your skills. As a civilian for the Army, I enjoy the job. But as a greensuiter, I anxioulsy await my 20 year letter, and once again put in a plug for the Air Force.

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: Fedfire ]

i`m currently in the airforce as a firefighter, we get plenty of training, firefighter I and II plushaz-mat ops and airport firefighter all within your first year, plus i just finished up my emt-b and driver operator certs, i`ll be getting haz-mat tech next most likely. plus i`m from ohio and paid stations around there usually give bonus points for a military background. the air guard is a good choice but you`ll have a better chance a more training as active duty. after the 6 1/2 weeks of basic it is just like a regular job with very little military bull****.

Forum Member

I'll have to agree with every comment about the Air Force so far. You could never get the amount of training for so little expense anywhere. Experience on the other hand...

Michael Wood, SrA, USAF
    Offutt AFB Fire/Rescue

I can tell you what I did. I kept my driving record very clean. I also went to college and recieved a double BS. in fire science. Then I joined a Volunteer Department. I took the test for the department i wanted and then I got my EMT-B. The Department I wanted doesn't require EMT-P. Well I am getting sworn in today and go to teh academy on Monday. It all helped me get the job. They liked my experience and I hate to say it, most of all, they like the fact I had a college education and it was a bonus it was in the fire science field.

Jason Geary
    Maplewood Vol. FD
    Town of Colonie
    and now
    Cohoes Fire Dept.
    NYRRT-1
    Jason Geary
    City of Cohoes FD
    www.cohoesfirefighters.com
    local #2562
    NYRRT-1

Thread Information