Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Texas state POV lights/siren laws??

I moved back to Texas two years ago and joined a Dept that had SOPs for lights, but the Chief said no to all. Didn't want to be a dept full of "woo woo's". The FD next town over, has lights and sirens. Members need to get authorized first, but thats fine by me. The conflict I have is this: I don't want to be one of those with a 52" code 3 9000 or what ever they are ( I can't afford one anyway ), but on the freeway at night, I want my car to be seen by motorists. And, if I am going POV, I want to be noticed by motorist, and Sheriff Dept, as a responding member...not some a-hole trying to dodge a traffic jam! Anybody know of any laws requiring the use of any lights on POVs? Or anyone face the same problems???
    FFJBARRIE<br />MY BROTHERS CALL ME "BOOBARRIE"

Texas law is pretty clear on volunteers with emergency equipment..

1. Must have 100 watt siren (or greater)
    2. lights must be mounted on the highest and widest portion of the car and the outside lenses must be red in color and be visible for 500 feet
    3. the chief or chief designated rep will be responsible for emergency vehicles in his dept (hence the approval of your chief to run hot)
    4. you must use both lights and siren to be running hot legally as a volunteer ff/emt... no code (lights only like the police do)

hope this helps

The Texas Transportation Code covers "Authorized Emergency Vehicles". You have to have authorization from your department/Chief.

If the Chief says NO....Thats the end of it!

thanks for the quick replies...i figured as much (chief's discresion).

The lightbar(s) must be visible 360 degrees.
    (No dash or grill lights only, or instead of)

Siren must be heard 500 ft, lights visible for 1000ft day, 1500 ft night, if memory serves correctly.

We don't have to worry about this problem at our department too much. If you want them, you can, but chief says must be insured.

Tried to get your insurance company to cover your POV with lights on it?

Hope this helps. If anyone else can be more specific on the distances, by all means reply as I am NO expert. I just try to drive as safely and defensively as possible---wouldn't do any good to NOT arrive at the station.
    Oklahoma Bound!

...and joined a Dept that had SOPs for lights, but the Chief said no to all.

BRAVO for the Chief! tell him Mongo says way to go!

Didn't want to be a dept full of "woo woo's".

Maybe he doesn't want his phone ringing at all hours of the night because somebody with a kojak light ran Mrs. Jones into the ditch or busted a red light and nearly hit somebody.

Even with the lights you quite possibly will still be seen as (as you put it) "some a-hole".

Through the years we have gotten more bad PR from our members that run kojaks than for all other reasons combined.

Lights or not, you are still required by law to drive with due regard for the safety of others on the road, and that's a judgement call by the cop that stops you. The red lights don't mean squat to them.

From the Texas Transportation Code...

546.004. Exceptions to Signal Requirement

(a) A volunteer fire fighter who operates a private vehicle as an authorized emergency vehicle may engage in conduct permitted by Section 546.001 only when the fire fighter is using visual signals meeting the pertinent requirements of Sections 547.305 and 547.702.
    http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statu...#tr003.546.003

547.305. Restrictions on Use of Lights

(a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.

(b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.

(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:

(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter; or
    (2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp, or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.

(d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the vehicle is:

(1) a school bus;
    (2) an authorized emergency vehicle;
    (3) a church bus that has the words "church bus" printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly discernable to other vehicle operators;
    (4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up to a disabled vehicle on a roadway; or
    (5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections 547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.

(e) A person may not operate highway maintenance or service equipment, including snow-removal equipment, that is not equipped with lamps or that does not display lighted lamps as required by the standards and specifications adopted by the Texas Department of Transportation.

(f) In this section "tow truck" means a motor vehicle or mechanical device that is adapted or used to tow, winch, or move a disabled vehicle.

547.702. Additional Equipment Requirements for Authorized Emergency Vehicles

(a) An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with a siren, exhaust whistle, or bell:

(1) of a type approved by the department; and
    (2) that emits a sound audible under normal conditions at a distance of at least 500 feet.

(b) The operator of an authorized emergency vehicle shall use the siren, whistle, or bell when necessary to warn other vehicle operators or pedestrians of the approach of the emergency vehicle.

(c) Except as provided by this section, an authorized emergency vehicle shall be equipped with signal lamps that:

(1) are mounted as high and as widely spaced laterally as practicable;
    (2) display four alternately flashing red lights, two located on the front at the same level and two located on the rear at the same level; and
    (3) emit a light visible at a distance of 500 feet in normal sunlight.

(d) A private vehicle operated by a volunteer firefighter responding to a fire alarm or a medical emergency may, but is not required to, be equipped with signal lamps that comply with the requirements of Subsection (c).

(e) A private vehicle operated by a volunteer firefighter responding to a fire alarm or a medical emergency may be equipped with a signal lamp that is temporarily attached to the vehicle roof and flashes a red light visible at a distance of at least 500 feet in normal sunlight.

(f) A police vehicle may, but is not required to, be equipped with signal lamps that comply with Subsection (c).
    http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statu...#tr023.547.305
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

There are or used to be some specifics on your questions under Vernon's Civil Statutes.
    The statute was quite specific, but written long ago. I don't think it even addressed todays modern strobe lights.
    In summary it basically states the police are exempt from everything. But, like one of the other replys to your post specifically describes 360 degree visibility of rotating lights. If I can find a copy around somewhere, I'll research it for you.

Good Luck!
    joejoe33

Comments and opinions are mine and do not represent the agency or IAFF local that I am affiliated with.

Well! Boob Air I see that you are still at it.
    I can only Guess that the Department that won't let you run lights & whistles in your POV is the same "stupid department" that you quit going to several months ago, as you stated in one of your previous posts because they wanted you to go back to that stupid training class, that is so far below your year or so of experience. not to mention your "Great" deal of training and certifications. how stupid of them.
    This is your third Bitch post about the same Dept. in about a week and it makes me wonder if your attitude might just have something to do with the way your being treated.
    perhaps they are trying to tell you something when they say sorry no gear, no lights, no special treatment,just get your ***** to class. perhaps you missed something along the way. I Don't know just wondering.
    Wish I was twenty something and knew everything then I could openly Question every decision that my Chief made. Call my training officers stupid. and try to ridicule my Dept. in an open fourm as well!!

just my thoughts and not that of my Dept. Etc. Etc.
    Keep it safe!
    Keep it safe !
    paradise Firefighter

KLcap6A...
    Well, since you know all about my dept, come and see for your self. The lights issue has and always will be null at that dept. All I wanted was info on Texas law because I am moving soon and am curious. I know NJ law because I asked questions...like I did a few weeks ago for Texas!

I did not quit due to lights. I quit for a reason you must not understand. In fact, I just found out yesterday that the same dept is having more internal problems than the US govt. The chief just hired an 18 y/o buddy and all of the sudden, the driving SOP's are being re-done to suit that person.
    AND, the new asst. chief is using his status as PPE buyer, to get great deals on PPE..and sell it through his own business!

HHHMMMMMMmmmmmm Lets see....am I the corrupt one?

The other two topics were me venting, yes...but if you read the entire thing for both, you would see that I do not have a problem with training. I have a problem with a dept that plays the "Good Ol Boys" tune all the time.

I want to be a fireman, not a good ol boy club member. I have many friends at that dept that I talk to on a semi-regular basis.

Look at the whole picture first..then cast judgement on my opinions!!

You know, I read your letters about this fire dept, and have came to a conclusion, without even meeting you I can see why this fire dept basically wanted nothing to do with you. I have based this judgment on by what you have said...i.e. making you go through training(s)and that it was stupid, because you have already obtained it in new jersey, and that you didnít think it was needed for you to do it again, which proves to me that you think you know everything, and that you are an endangerment not only to yourself, but to the fellow firefighters you are around. I am not familiar with how things work in New Jersey, but around here if people have a problem with others or their place of business, then they confront them about it and work it out "man to man" so to speak, not bash them on the Internet. Which is another prime example on why I see why this fire dept, along with any other respectable fire dept wants nothing to do with you. I could go on for days on this but I see no point in sinking to your level of childishness.... but you are more than welcome to come to the fire station and discuss this matter with myself along with any other you may feel that you have an issue with. Yours in service.
    An 18-year-old fireman
    Scott

Well! well! well! "Boob Air" seems that some of your dept. Members have some interesting obsevations on your tenure with them. I realy found FD111's comments in "how's That for mud in your eye"page2. most enlightening' not to mention interesting reading and I'm not sure but I think that Scott-T9 has a few feelings about your situation also and he hasn't met you either.
    If I was you I'm not to sure would talk to much about your tenure with this Dept. less the new Dept. call and ask about you.
    Keep it safe !
    paradise Firefighter

BOOHOOHOOOO no lights for you

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: FD112 ]

MembersZone Subscriber

Default does anyone know the mississippi law regaurding sirens on POV's

im a Mississippi Vol. FF. and have a Code 3 Dash warrior on my front windshield and then i have hideaway strobes in the front lights and reverse lights my department authorizes the uses of both equiptment, my question is this does anyone know the MISSISSIPPI law regaurding sirens on POV's? i have been in serveral calls where just getting the the location was tough enough cuz of traffic, but what really is a bother is when the person that is in front of you see's your lights running and fails to heed right of way, one time i was going down the four lane and pulled up beside a police officer in the slow lane and a motorist in the fast lane ( i was also in the fast lane) so i could pass without having to switch back and forth between lanes. however the person in front of me was doing probably 45 MPH in a 55 MPH and i followed them for 3 miles down the road till the officer finally sped up so i could go around the person (He Then pulled the driver over and gave them a ticket for failer to heed right of way to an emergency vehicle (i was in my POV @ the time) then the officer proceeded to follow me on down the road to the scene of the accident. it would be nice to have a siren on POV's cuz some people that know you are behind them and dont care. what do the rest of you think?
    "Have you forgoten, when those TOWERS FELL, we had neighbors still inside going through a living hell"

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1862 View Post
    im a Mississippi Vol. FF. and have a Code 3 Dash warrior on my front windshield and then i have hideaway strobes in the front lights and reverse lights my department authorizes the uses of both equiptment, my question is this does anyone know the MISSISSIPPI law regaurding sirens on POV's? i have been in serveral calls where just getting the the location was tough enough cuz of traffic, but what really is a bother is when the person that is in front of you see's your lights running and fails to heed right of way, one time i was going down the four lane and pulled up beside a police officer in the slow lane and a motorist in the fast lane ( i was also in the fast lane) so i could pass without having to switch back and forth between lanes. however the person in front of me was doing probably 45 MPH in a 55 MPH and i followed them for 3 miles down the road till the officer finally sped up so i could go around the person (He Then pulled the driver over and gave them a ticket for failer to heed right of way to an emergency vehicle (i was in my POV @ the time) then the officer proceeded to follow me on down the road to the scene of the accident. it would be nice to have a siren on POV's cuz some people that know you are behind them and dont care. what do the rest of you think?
    dfdfdfdfdfdfdf

Ask your Chief what you should, and can do within the policy. That is your ONLY option.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information