Default Baloon to Heaven

Last C shift, the crews were out checking the trucks. A baloon flated to the ground with a note attached. Without going into details, the note was from a younger brother to his older brother who passed away. The little boys intention was to send a little note up to his brother in Heaven. Anyway, the local media was contacted and plans are being made to re fill the baloon and launch it again on Monday. Do you think this is a good idea? Sure it will be a gigantic public relations boost for the Fire department but I feel like it might open up new wounds for the grieving family and confuse the young boy who sent the note. Then again, it might be very nice for the family. We have no idea where it came from but the date on the note was the same day that it was discovered. How would you handle this situation? Relaunch the baloon or cover it up and put it in the strange but true chapter the fire service.
    My comments posted here do not reflect the views of my department.

I'd have covered it up, the boy probably thought it made it.

But it's too late now, somebody called the press, and now the boy will just wonder if it will ever make it...
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Tell the little boy that you added a little more helium to it so that it could make it. This may help him so that he will not feel that he failed. Also tell him that yall made his brother a honorary firefighter. hope this helps. Larry

i agree that you should have just covered it up and let that little boy think the letter reached his brother.

It would be nice if the station could adopt the little guy. Think of the investment!

I like the honary fireman idea. Since the story is going to air. We can say that the brother (the one that died) sent the baloon to the fire station cause he knew we would know the most direct route to Heaven. Anyway, Ive got bigger plans to attend to right now, my plane for VEGAS leaves in 4 hours!!!!! Wish me luck.

I believe it happened for a reason. Maybe that little boy needs brothers like yall to help heal his hurts. Im not a big fan of the media getting ahold of it, but maybe yall can help him with his grief somehow.Kinda makes you wonder......

Could be that baloon did make it to Heaven, and it was sent back for a purpose. Funny, it floated down while someone was there to see it coming down. Every little boys dream is to be a fireman, don't you think it's ironic that the balloon came down at a fire station?

I think I'd handle in that way. The balloon did make it to Heaven, and God thought it would bring the little boy a lot of joy knowing his brother had seen and wanted to send it back to him. God uses firefighters everyday to help people, He was just using ya'll one more time.

If you don't mind my saying so, that was SWEET, comwhite. Hope they take your idea to heart, you could be right on. God does work in mysterious ways--and when he has really challenging assignments, he uses firefighters.
    Oklahoma Bound!

I just got back from Vegas, lost 150 bucks, and I havent heard how the story went yet. I did hear before I left that the story the media got was that the baloon made it to heaven and came back down to the fire house. As soon as I get the info, Ill let yall know how it all turned out. I was very nervous flying back in from Vegas, knowing my luck, I thought the plane would suck the baloons up in the engine and crash and burn.

Thread Information