Default HOW'S YOUR ATTACK LINES LOADED??

HI ALL!
    OUR DEPARTMENT IS CURRENTLY EVALUATING OUR ATTACK LINE LOADS. WE CURRENTLY CARRY 1 3/4"
    ATTACK LINE W/AKRON MIDRANGE @ 150 GPM. WE HAVE TWO CROSSLAYS @ 150' EACH, BOTH IN A MINUTEMAN LOAD WE ALSO HAVE WHAT WE CALL A "BACKDOOR LOAD" COMING OFF OF THE BACK THAT IS A 200' PRECONNECT 1 3/4" MINUTEMAN W/ AN AKRON MIDRANGE. OUR OTHER CROSSLAY IS A 2 1/2" WITH AN 1 1/8" SMOOTHBORE WHICH IS DREAM TO USE, THIS IS ALSO 150'. WE CURRENTLY RUN A 4 MAN ENGINE BUT NORMALLY OUR CAPTAIN ASSUMES IC ON ARRIVAL. ALSO, IF WE ARE SHORT STAFFED SOME GUYS ON THE ENGINE MAY BE COMBO'D TO, YOU GUESSED IT, THE MED UNIT. THIS CREATES A POSSIBLE SCENARIO OF RUNNING A SHORT ENGINE CREW WITH OUT SECOND DUE ENGINE COMING FROM OUR NEIGHBORING CITY.
    I'M LOOKING FOR INPUT FROM OTHERS ON HOW THEY LOAD THEIR ATTACK LINES AND WHY.
    ALSO, IT MAY HELP TO KNOW OUR DISTRICT, WE ARE MOSTLY RESIDENTIAL, 2 1/2 STORY WOOD FRAME (BALLOON) WE ALSO HAVE SOME LARGE INDUSTRY AND A MEDIUM-SIZED MALL OUR WEST END HAS NUMEROUS 1-3 STORY HOTELS AND MOTELS.
    LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU. (SORRY FOR THE RAMBLING, IT'S LATE) STAY SAFE!!!!!

Forum Member

I could get into all the hose and sizes on our rigs, but it is to late for that.
    But, we triple load on my eng. it is great it can be pulled by one person and it flakes itself out the only real tricky part is reloading it.

Question do you send one person in on a structure.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

fireff413
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department runs with 2, 200' 1-3/4 lines, and 1 200' 2-1/2 line all flat loaded. I have had experience with the tripple load, and that is nice for deployment like MFF but is a pain to reload if you are on limited manpower. I guess it also depends on what your SOP's for inital attack are. For example in Detroit, they run with "bundles" for a reverse lay...Basically what they do is have 150' of 1-1/2" line conected to a gated-wye connected to 2-1/2" line. As the inital engine pulls up, the "bundle" is dropped at the curb and the engine proceeds to the hydrant. They also carry a second bundle which can be dropped and connected to the gated wye.

Forum Member

RG-

check back a few pages there is a good thread on hoseloads already done, several different reply's
    Firefighter/NREMT-P/Public Safety Diver
    May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

We use a triple lay for all of our attack lines. It is real easy to pull by one person.

District Chief

My department used the minuteman or inverted load when I was there packing the first 50' normal and then inverting the rest.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information