Default smooth bore or fog

Just wanted to see different opinions on what people use and/or prefer. What does your company use and why?

District Chief

My paid department used all fogs predominatly (combination vol./paid dept) with a few eninges carrying one line with a 15/16" solid bore tip preconnected. I like the SB and there is a place for it.

Take a look at new technology and keep an open mind. The TFT Mid-matic (high/low pressure) has a stream that is equivalent to the 15/16" SB when in the Low setting. Good stream quality and good reach....do a side by side test....

I would not have believed it..but i saw it for my own eyes... Like I said...go into it with an open mind.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

We use all TFT and all the fires I have been on I have had it in the straight stream posistion. What I would like to do is load one attack line with solid bore and one TFT, what is your opinion on that?

MembersZone Subscriber

Fog nozzle vs. Smoothbore nozzle

What is your goal ? Flexibility and choice fire streams or much water with a high velocity ?

What size and type of structures are you most likely to fight a fire in ?

Both have their place in the fire service and much of the decision will be based on local conditions.

One other thing that may interest you is don't switch to smooth bore nozzles to reduce engine pressure. While your nozzle pressure is half of your fog nozzle pressure, the increased gallonage will cause your engine pressure to exceed the engine pressure of your fog nozzle setting.
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

Ahhh....one of the age old questions that can be argued for days upon days.....both have the pluses and minuses. Although we use all fogs (except for deck guns, blitz lines, etc..) I prefer the SB nozzles because they are so much easier to handle with less pressure at the nozzle and if you know what your doing (watching for flash, collapse, having a good IC doing the constant 360) you shouldnt need the protection that the fog is able to give.
    stay safe
    Its not something you do,
    Its something you are.
    "Whether we bring the terrorists to justice, or we bring justice to the terroists...Justice WILL BE DONE"... President Bush
    Engineer
    Engine Co. # 1
    THESE ARE JUST MY OPINIONS AND OPINIONS ONLY!!!

District Chief

Not a bad concept except that if you dont carry the spare fogs you are limited. Why not go with one of the TFT VITs and had a mid-matic tip only???

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: captstanm1 ]
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone seen the new nozzle from Akron that is a smooth bore and a fog? As the ad said it may finally end the debate.

Thread Information