Thread: RIT/FAST

Default RIT/FAST

My department is going to start a RIT team with the other departments in the county. I was wondering what other departments do for RIT/FAST? Do you have your 2nd company in be RIT or of Smaller departments is it your first mutual aid department in? Any help would be great!!!
    "FIRST IN; LAST OUT"

Drive safe

Forum Member

We kicked this around quite a bit between the officers of the three fire companies involved in our primary mutual aid agreement. What we settled on was that, upon confirming a working structure fire, we have county dispatch the second-due rescue for RIT (the first-due rescue is part of the three-company initial dispatch). Most stations in our area do something like this, if they use RIT at all.

The career department in our county seat does this differently...they use the 4th-due or 5th-due engine company as RIT on box alarms (which one depends on the size of the box), and they are dispatched with the box, before fire is confirmed.

In general, the idea of a district-wide or county-wide RIT hasn't seemed practical in our area. There's a big coordination issue with that approach, and it may be overkill to treat this almost like a "task force". Since most fire companies in the area have specialized to some degree and nobody is trying to be self-sufficient anymore, having a few companies provide RIT services to others nearby has become as routine as those with aerials providing truck company support, those with rescues providing vehicle extrication, etc. To us, specialized mutual aid like this has become routine, and a necessity.

We have our second due engine as initial team and call for a second team.

We went back and forth, how can you guarantee that whoever gets dispatched will bring equipment we want, etc. (or will the company you want be available at that time).

In our County there is a technical rescue (trench, collapse, etc.) team that is run by three fire companies from three separate towns . We call the two companies that are not from our town. We know what equipment they have, etc.
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Reported fires get 3 Engines, 2 Trucks, 1 Heavy Rescue, 1 Chief, and a EMS unit. The 3rd due Engine company is the RIT if there is a working fire.

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: PFD_66 ]

We are a small dept.
    One station with 7 shift personnel and 4 administrative personnel.
    We cover approx 16 sq mile municalple area of about 25,000 and additional 20-30 sq miles of rural area.

For all dispatches of structure fires we send at least three on first out engine
    2 on first out amb. The remaining two shift personnel either bring second engine or ride on the first out depending on the particular shift commander. We also have three to four of the administrative responding.
    Initial automatic mutual aide is
    1- ladder ussually 2-3 people
    1- engine 2-3 people
    We have automatic recall for off duty personnel which brings 3-5 people

There is nothing written who will be RIT
    IC directs people were needed and asigns the first two avialable people to RIT.

Municipal Dept. 3 stations, 30,000 people.

We get 3 pumpers, 1-2 ladders, and a rescue on a first alarm, usually the last in pumper becomes the RIT, unless they are committed to a task, then we might request an additional pumper (MA) just for RIT.

We are trying to use it correctly, you just have to remember to save them for RIT, don't tell them one thing then tell them to overhaul...etc.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Youngstown has a similar set up as what PFD_66 described. An initial box 5, or full assignment gets 3 engines, 1 ladder, the heavy(in all reality medium) rescue, and 2 BC's. The third-due engine usually becomes the RIT, although some chiefs prefer to put all companies to work and special call another engine for RIT work. It usually works out best when they call another engine because then they almost never have problems with manpower on a fire scene.

Forum Member

Just a note on an item I seem to be seeing alot.
    People say they want to form a RIT/FAST team, but you (IMHO) cant form a "team". Every firefighter needs to be RIT trained. You cant for example, name 5 people to be your RIT team, whether career or volly, you will not always have those same people avalible at every fire.

Common sense and experience goes a long way in a RIT team. Remember that, when you make the SOG of who the RIT team will be, and what their function at a fire will be, (ie. is the responding unit assigned to RIT from your dept or a mutual aid town?, what experince does that crew have?,what training have they done? etc.)

Not the best written post, but see what I'm getting at ?

there was talk to train 10 members then train the rest of the department.
    "FIRST IN; LAST OUT"

Drive safe

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

We have a neighboring dept. respond a rescue with manpower. They are dispatched automatically for any working fire in the district. This department has been predetermined and it will always be the same unless they are already out. They also have a thermal imaging camera so we can have two at the scene. We chose not to involve our closest mutual aid companies because we often need them for other duties initially.

Stay safe out there!

[ 08-17-2001: Message edited by: NY Smokey ]
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

NY Smokey:

What is most important then the safety of your fellow firefighters? I know where you are going but your first concern should be the safety of yourself and fellow firefighters
    "FIRST IN; LAST OUT"

Drive safe

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Firemt47,

Let me clarify my post. SAFETY is my number one concern. I will NOT risk my firefighters on a lost cause or if there is no life hazard present. Our RIT team department is 5-10 minutes away from our district. They are dispatched at the same time as our other mutual aid. We have people on the fireground that can be a RIT team if needed sooner. I like a Marine phrase I once heard "Improvise, adapt, and overcome." Obviously if the mutual aid RIT team isn't there yet and command feels one is needed right now, we'll change our plan. I was talking about a dedicated RIT team. A lot of times I see RIT teams that are busy doing other labor intensive tasks instead of staying by the command post and being ready "to go." We try to discourage that. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough in the first post. I think if you check my other posts throughout the forum you'll see I am very concerned about the safety of the men/women.

Stay safe out there!

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: NY Smokey ]
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Okay, this may be a long post. I work on an engine company that is part of the Phoenix Fire Automatic Aid System. The following is a rough idea of the RIC policies (as far as company assignments) for the system.

On any working fire where crews will be operation in an IDLH atm. the first due engine coo. will establish an IRIC (Initial Rapid Intervention Crew) and notify Alarm when "IRIC is established". The IRIC will typically consist of the plugman as the primary IRIC member and the engineer as that secondary member. Yes, this does require the engineer to be bunked out with a pack on ready to enter the building if, god forbid, a mayday is called.

Our initial response for a structure fire is a 2-1 assignment. THis gives you 2 engines, a ladder and a Battalion. A rescue (ambulance staffed by FF) may be added if close enough. When a fire is declared a "working fires" the Alarm roon will upgrade the assignment from a 2-1 to a 2-1RIC. This give you the "Safety Battalion", a utility truck, rehab unit (summer) and an additional engine who will become the ric unit and will change it's radio designation from engine to RIC (i.e. "Engine 241" would become "RIC 241"). THis unit will replace the IRIC o/a at the fire and will report to command and assume RIC responsiblites. The Captain on the RIC unit will start his own tactical worksheet to keep track of all operating companies. The RIC unit will retrieve alll necisary tools from their engine and the Battalion to an assembaly area near the entrance of the fire building.

For 1st alarms an additional Ladder Company is added to supliment the RIC engine. As the incident develops, RIC units may be added at all entrances to large structures.

This style of RIC response requires that all FD members are trained in RIC proceedures and "Saving our own".
    Alan Romania, CEP
    God bless America and those who stand with us
    God have mercy on those who stand against us.

AXE

I think ALL firefighters should be trained on emergency procedures.
    In our department at any given time a team may be called upon to back away and stand by as the RIT team. We always try to have a "back up" team in place at working structure fires.

In our city, all paid and volunteer firefighters are trained to be on a RIT team. Each rig also has a RIT bag. If the IC informs dispatch of any kind of stuctural fire, a RIT team is immediatly assigned. Downtown, in the paid department another Engine Company goes, up here where it`s volunteer, the team could consists of a mutual aid engine, most likely from another volunteer department, or a group of 4 guys that arrived in their cars.

In order to make an effective RIT (FAST or RIC), You have to answer some questions.

First, When is it needed? We always have to be ready to save our own. The time frame that it takes many departments to establish RIT is unacceptable. The initial company on scene should not have to wait until the fire is being overhauled for the RIT to be in position.

Next, who should perform RIT? In a nutshell it should be the FIRST available EXPERIENCED firefighters. I have seen some volunteer departments put their newest members on RIT because they were not trained to go inside. Doing this completely defeats the purpose of a RIT. They should be trained, experienced veterans. Some veteran firefighters think being assigned RIT is a waist of their talent or is beneath them. They see it as they are missing out on all of the action. It's an ego thing.

Last, but not least, who will be trained? Everyone needs to be trained. Even if this training is to target a particular audience at first, it should not be put on the backburner for the others. Schedule the training continuously for all companies until EVERYONE has it.

When the points mentioned are addressed, you can give the incident commander the responsibility to establish a RIT as soon as possible, just by responding one additional company to the scene. The IC can then use any one of the units arriving to perform this task.

Lets face it, not all fire departments have the resources to do everything themselves. You will have to use other departments to provide the safest environment possible for your members. So give yourself the flexibility to use any available company for this task.

Good Luck

Thread Information