Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Shift schedule

Default Shift schedule

Is anybody out there working the 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 96 off, shift schedule? If so what are the pros and/or cons of this type of work schedule.
    We are currently working the 24 on and 48 off which I have done for 23 years, I am really not sure what to think about it yet.
    Thanks......

I like it. Work 3 out of 5 and take 4 off. Unless its k-day time and your forced to take 6 off.I prefer this sched.

I work 24 on 24 off, every six I get 72. Either one of those would be great.

24 on 24 off 24 on, then 5 days off.

Cant beat it

I work 24/7/11

MembersZone Subscriber TailboardJockey's Avatar

My department currently does 4's and 6's, i.e. W-O-W-O-W-O-W-O-O-O-O-W-O-W-O-W-O-W-O-O-O-O-O-O, the shifts being 24 hours. That 4th shift of the tour can really suck sometimes.

Some of us are interested in pushing for 48 on and 96 off, i.e. W-W-O-O-O-O. This way, we would be commuting a lot less (I live 9 miles from the city but it usually takes me 20-30 minutes to get to work), there would be less duplication of things like housework and apparatus inventory checks, etc.
    Living the dream...

We work the schedual you are talking. We call it the "ABC kelly", or "california schedual". I love it, I never need to take vacation to head north and get out of the heat. If I take a shift off I get siz days off . THe set doeesn't drag on even if we get hammered unless I work on my between days. I hope I never have to work 24/48.
    Alan Romania, CEP
    God bless America and those who stand with us
    God have mercy on those who stand against us.

Forum Member

3 on every other day and then 4 off is a good schedule. That's what I work. It is really nice to have 4 days off. My next favorite would be what tailboard jockey outlined. He says the 4th shift might drag. That depends on your call volume. I think it would work here. We average 7 calls a day from my station.

I'm working now. It sure is nice to know i will get off at 7am tomorrow and not have to come back until Monday. (Today is Wednesday if your reading this late).

My personal opinion, go for the 4 days off and if you can handle it, go for the 6 days off.

Thread Information