Default Ricky Responder and Woo-Woo's

Ok so Im the first to bash someone who wears a "I fight what you fear" T-shirt with a matching belt buckle and a hat and has all the relative bumper stickers but I have a confession to make. I bought a ricky responder pouch today. You know the ones that carry the Leatherman and a flash light and has pockets for pens and the trauma shears. I was at Bass Pro Shop and it dawned on me, every time I need a flashlight or a gerber tool I have to ask the shift Woo Woo if I can borrow his. So I broke down, cried like a little girl and made the purchase. Now I must go to work tomorrow, and fight through hours of torment from my fellow woo woo bashers. I will however keep a log of everyone that makes fun of me, store it in the appropriate pocket on my pouch and tell them to go pound sand up their butt when they ask to borrow one of my many tools. I also have one of those small pouches that holds one pair of gloves. That is probably the most usefull thing I own. And here is a woo woo story. Its not really all that funny but it made me laugh. I was sitting in the auditorium to take my state paramedic test. They call you up to sign in by your rank. The Meics went first. I got my test and sat down. On the way in I saw a rather heavy woman wearing a full uniform, not untypical but she also was carrying a ricky responder kit on her belt. She had a mag light, trauma shears, an IV cath, a tourniquit (yes i know its misspelled), a 4X4 gauze pad, a stethascope, radio with lapel mic...turned on...a pager (FD pager) a personal numeric pager, and her pockets were stuffed to the max with God knows what. The funny part of the story is that she stood up to go sign in when they called for all the ECA's! She isnt even allowed to use ANY of that stuff! Why would you walk around with the contents of an ambulance on yor person if you haven't even rose above the level of a boy scout? Im sure she was trying to impress someone but why brag to a room full of EMT's that you are one? Do they care? NO! But then again, she was a little heavy so I came to the conclusion that she was some sort of reserve ambulance for her city. Anyway, Im sure I'v said enough to make at least one person mad so Im gonna slip into my "be safe, use smoke alarms or sleep with a fireman" T-Shirt, fluff my pillow with the glow in the dark fire truck on it, crank up my scanner, cram my work pants with rolls of cling and wet the bed as I dream of making "The big call" (you know the one where I roll up on the scene of a 747 crash and save everyone on board and make off with 300 pounds of airline peanuts)
    My comments posted here do not reflect the views of my department.

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Great story. I got a laugh out of it too.

Take care,

*Mark

OK, important point here. If you bought it at the temple of fishing, it ain't a woo-woo pouch. No need top cry like a little girl.

And we've got a whole house full of people like the chick you mentioned. They are too funny, but at least the medics don't have to carry all that stuff. Just ask the person standing there with their eyes bugging out. Snaps them out of their stupor and brings them back to reality.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Forum Member

Originally posted by Waterboy620:
    a rather heavy woman wearing a full uniform,
    I believe that technical term for a person like this is a "buffet grinder"

That's alot of stuff to carry on her person. She left one thing out though. Knew a guy who carried a BP cuff in a pouch on his belt and would hang the gauge on either his collar or his lapel for all the world to see! I found that to be amazing!!!
    If a fire is an emergency to the fire dept., who do they call?

Forum Member

Didn't Ricky Responder and the WooWoos have a hit record back titled I'd Wind My Q for You in the '80s?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

You guys are funny. I had a crappy day at work, needed a laugh, and you guys gave it to me! Thanks!
    Opinions stated are mine only and do not reflect those of my companies.

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Funny story but I asked myself why make fun of the guy on your shift with all the toys?You say you had to ask him for a flashlight?I suppose you say that about us guys with the truckie belts and extra lights We only carry them so you guys can ask us to borrow them you know the extra light the extra axe.But then I got to thinkin now that you have one of these no all your buddies(well former buddies welcome to the woo woo squad) will ask you for your extra lights
    But the heavy gal with the uniform and all blows my mind! Like the bus doesnt come with all that stuff anyways.Plus love the blood pressure cuff story.
    Well anyhow have fun and no you didnt make me mad I could care less lol I deal with some of these guys on a daily basis(we have a ESDA unit nearby )

WA WA WAIT A MINUTE.... YOU GUYS CAME TO THE TEMPLE OF FISHING.... IN SPRINGFIELD, MISSOURI AND YOU DIDN'T COME VISIT ME!!!!! YOU GUYS....THATS MEAN!!!!!!!!!!!! I MEAN COME ON!!!! I HAVE THE HOOK UP....%50 percent off and all kinds of cool stuff like that over there...... WHERE DO YOU GET OFF NOT COMING TO PICK ME UP BEFORE YOU WENT!!! LOL.......

AND YES GONZO... I THINK THAT ALBUM WENT PLATINUM ALONG WITH

YOU CAME WHELEN INTO MY HEART
    Adam Spencer
    Cadet Firefighter/First Responder
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa MO 65714

. . . EMS, where the men are men, and so are the women! NYC*EMS

dude,thanks for the laugh, we had a guy that had so much stuff on his belt we'd leave the jump bag!
    "DID ANY BODY GRAB THE JUMPBAG?"

well what can i say if you belong to a fire dept and you arent proud enough to wear firefighter t-shirts other such goodies than i think you need to quit and find something less in the spotlight.............like stocking selfs at the grocery store.!
    ...fire fetish???......
    ...damn right!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

She probably left the belt pouch for her lifepak-12 at home.

Hey Adam, we have a temple of fishing here in Texas. It is near the Grapevine Mills Mall in Coppell. It's a pretty big store.

Ed Brando

I.A.C.O.J.-Member

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits".-Albert Einstien

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door"-Milton Berle

Hey emsbrando, thats the store I got it at. The all mighty Bass Pro Shop. Have you been to the steak resturant there? Its very good but kinda expensive. They also brew their own beer. Beer, guns, dead animal heads, bass boats....its a redneck walmart. As if walmart wasnt redneck alredy.
    My comments posted here do not reflect the views of my department.

good story waterboy

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi Waterboy620:

I was there just killing time for a while. My Fiancee is a Postmaster in East Texas and she had to go to the district office in Coppel for a meeting.

I never ate there, but I heard it was good. Next time I'll have to try it.

Keep it safe.

Ed Brando
    I.A.C.O.J.-Member

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits".-Albert Einstien

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door"-Milton Berle

Great story! You guys are great! This is probably the best story I've read all year!
    Volunteer(noun): Completely Under-paid Professional

From a recovered woo woo, a lot of us go through that batman ems utility belt phase where we HAVE to have EVERYTHING right with us or we felt like we were a pox on the ems community. Don't you know that if we have EVERYTHING right THEN right THERE that we were just the bomb, medics would love us, cherubs would sing, the clouds would part and we would SAVE the world? After one to many times of forgetting my "pouch" when we would get a call while I was in the bathroom, I ditched it and now I just take what I need from the rookie.
    By the way, didn't Rickey Responder and the Woo Woos open for Elvis???????

[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: firebear235 ]
    Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

Well, I know the type you are talking about. I found it very comical when a new EMT showed up to a stand by event with a full duty belt (the kind PD officers wear minus the firearm) and a full sized fanny pack that I swear to this day weighed in more than my ALS jump kit does . Oh yeah, he was a first resonder also. I once wore a trauma holster when I worked on the ambulance... but I kept taking it off and leaving it on the dash or in the back of the ride so I never had it when I needed it (onscene) so I switched to a small fanny pack that is the norm for almost all fire medics and emts here in the valley (and I still leave it on the rig on most calls ).
    Alan Romania, CEP
    God bless America and those who stand with us
    God have mercy on those who stand against us.

Thread Information