Thread: proudest moment

Default proudest moment

what is your proudest moment in your emergency services career? mine was helping to bring a baby into this world in a hospital parking lot.

Forum Member

Without a doubt, it would be the first rescue I made. 3 year old boy from a bedroom fire. 3rd degree on his head and face and upper torso. With a lot of surgery and rehab he turned out OK. We have all saved people from heart attacks and car wrecks, but for some reason, none are as fulfilling as a rescue from a fire.

there has to be a few proud moments that ive come across only being a vol firefighter for a year and a half. one was climbing up the 95' tower ladder on a cold night in front of my company, another was completing a flawless fire school evolution after a few less productive sessions.

Forum Member

For me it was when the Chief shook my hand and handed me my badge.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

My proudest moment was when I had just moved back into my hometown joined The F.D. my brother was chief my father was the FTO I am the baby boy.. It was a garage fire 2 cars inside threatening a structure My brother and my self we on the front 2 attack lines kicking ***** after the main body of fire was knocked down I looked back and my father was sitting on the tailboard of the truck watching us and just nodded at me that meant the world to me because that was his way of saying good job son!! In the end 2 cars a garage lost 1 house saved!! I will remember that split second moment until the day I die!!!

Stay safe my brothers
    TC.379

1993 firefighters banquet, I was awarded the Firefighter of the Year award, which I had no idea I was in the running for it.

Then, this past February, accepting my 10 year pin award, along with the Bronze firefighter statue.

Little things like this can go a long way!

There were plenty of calls where I cherished the moment, and that to me, is the positive side of being a firefighter.

Take Care and Be Safe
    John Williams
    NRFF1
    City of Clairton
    Fire / EMS

Forum Member

i have two
    cheif shakeing my hand as i joined
    the second was haveing my dad a twenty year vet saying he was pround of me on a call
    stay safe,have fun,stay healthy
    2197 10-8<br />stay safe have fun stay healthy<br />
    nc firefighter/emt-d
    RFB-FTM

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Plucked a guy from some scaffolding around a church steeple that had been electrocuted.....got to the guy fast, worked on him, brought him down the stick. He's walking around today talking about.

My volunteer company worked an accident, 9 year old male vs Suburban. I held c-spine and talked to the kid while he was being prepared for transport. He was really scared, but, calmed down a lot when I kept talking to him. A few days later, he and his father came to the station to thank us and had even made a "Thank you" card.
    Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

Watching FF's that worked on my company since they hired on or for most of their time, and that I've helped train, get promoted and be good engineers and company officers.

[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: mongofire_99 ]
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Anytime anyone (fellow ffs, the public, a little kid, a police officer, a by stander, etc.) thanks me for a job well done, I am proud of what I do. And anytime I get to work with the guys on my department to get the job done and then we all go home at the end of the day....that is what it is all about.

Personally - last year when I recieved the TOP GUN award at my company. It was a real honor.
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

The day I got hired. There have been many close seconds but none have beat it yet.
    Alan Romania, CEP
    God bless America and those who stand with us
    God have mercy on those who stand against us.

You know, I think I'd like to add a few more. Even though they seem to contradict, I don't mean them that way.

Leading the company into the battle. (I guess not so much proud as honored with this one.)

Watching the fire go out quickly without me when we're first-in on the attack, or the patient gets extricated in short order. (To me, this all means my company has got their act together.)
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Forum Member

We had a rather bad MVA last November, in fact, the hardest extrication I have done to date (excluding some scenarios we practice). It took us 40 minutes to cut the unresponsive 17 year old from her vehicle. A few days later, her father phoned and told us she had massive neck and back injuries, was wearing a back plate and halo-harness. The doctors had told that had we not done our job as well as we had, his daughter wouldn't be able to walk. He phoned to thank us for a job well done.

A few months ago, he phoned again. This time to tell us that his daughter had made a full recovery, and was looking forward to playing field hockey in the upcoming school year. My department runs a lot of MVAs, but no one ever lets us know how the PTs come out of it. It was nice to know we made the difference. When things go bad, the entire department looks back at that call, and we all remember why we are there.

Remember, it’s for keeps out there. Be safe, and keep your visor down.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Forum Member

Everytime we go on a run and things go just the way it was meant to be, not as often as we all like it. Makes you feel proud to be part of a real team when things fall into place on an incident.

Most recent would be last week when we extricated a unresponsive female from a wreck and call to in hospital time was less than 30 min, everyone did a good job from EMS,FIRE and the helicopter crew.
    Firefighter/NREMT-P/Public Safety Diver
    May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

sitting here reading over some of the responces,I was able to recall some very proud moments that i was part of, all sounds the same, just change some names, ages, etc. I was proud the day i joined the dept. against incredable odds that I'm here. (was born with cerebral palsy, was givin no chance at walking, but i made it I walk,) do anything i want, just made 12 years on dept. i'm now asst. chief. but for me one moment will stand out for a lifetime. I was sitting in a mcdonald's having lunch one day, I'm a vollie so i wasn't in any uniform at the time, I had a small boy and his mother come up to talk to me> Mother said "He just wanted me to come over here and meet you, said you was the fireman that always comes to his school." that to me means all the trouble & time i put in to my fire prevention work was worth it! If a small boy remembers the fireman that comes to his school I'm sure he remembers what the fireman tells him about fire.

[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: Fyrball105 ]

My proudest moment was probably seeing my father win an award for saving a little kids life. He was a captain ay his station and responded to the elementary school across the street from his station. When he arrived there they found a young boy choking on his lunch. My father gave him the hemlich and saved the childs life. For me though as a firefighter my proudest moment would probably have to be just knowing that I am out there doing things that only a select few can do. Knowing that everyday I could save someones life or property just makes me proud to say I am a FIREFIGHTER
    If you cant take the heat then stay out of my way.

These are my opinions and dont reflect the view of my company.

District Chief

My proudest momemt was the day my son joined the junior fire department and then the first time we went on a call together. Now, I am proud to see him carry on as a firefighter and conduct himself in these forums like a the fine young man he has turned out to be.
    Trey...I love you....be careful....
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Being presented with my 20 year long service and good conduct medal by the Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire (The Queen's Representative) with my family watching. What a day, never to be forgot.
    Kindest regards & keep safe,

Sprinkle (UK)
    www.sprinkle2.homestead.com

MembersZone Subscriber

captstanm1,

Okay, I'm a little slow. Just made the connection. I was confused on another board when you lauded "Engine_tower1".

District Chief

yes...E229Lt....i am proud of him....and this is off the topic of this post...but I tried to email you and you not accepting or something.,....

But...i feel the same about a few others in my department that are or were the same age as my son...and more reliable than some of the older members.

Email me...we can discuss it.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

My D.C. had terminal cancer and he asked me if i'd carry his helmet in the funeral services...which i did of course.At first, i was sad about it but then i felt it to be such a honor.Second was getting LT. spot on first due engine later that same year.

Forum Member

FF of the year at my old dept., managed to win it despite being away full-time for college. I was proud of my dedication in coming in on weekends to train and making all the calls I could.

Number 2: Conquering my ineptitude at driving manual transmissions. After that, I KNOW training can enable anybody to do anything.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

My proudest moment in the job would have to be being involved in the finding and subsequent rescuing of the only survivor of Australia's worst landslide which claimed 18 lives. After standing beside the firie who some how heard the bloke through 4 cement slabs and over a chainsaw working nearby we preceeded to dig him out until we were relieved by the day usar team, which was real hard to leave site but anyway we came back on 3pm that afternoon and he was still underground and after some minor enlarging of the hole and preparation by medics for extrication, we extricated him and placed him in an ambulance. The cheer that went up through the valley when the village realised we had him out was amazing and gave us real pep-up. The survivor 'Stuart Diver'is going strong and back in the town after surviving 65 hours in sub zero temps and losing his wife beside him in the slide at Thredbo in 1997. Stay safe.

Watching my son receive his badge making him a firefighter, like his dad,

Thread Information