Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Grudge holding Captain?

I have a problem. I have a captain that also happens to be a paramedic. When finishing my "end of probation interview" He asked me to tell him the one thing that if I could take out of my job, what would it be?

I told him that EMS was the part of my job that enjoyed the least. I slao said that I felt confident and comfortable at an EMS scene and would do it without complaint.

Here's the problem: It has been almost four months now and he is still holding this against me. I am doing jobs for the people who are enthusiastic about EMS.

I have talked to a couple of other guys on the department about this and have got no help at all. I talked to a couple of friends on other departments and they think that maybe it is because he depends so much on me for the fire side.(I give a lot of the training on the trucks for our shift)

I would appreciate your input.
    Thanks!

Now, maybe it's just me, but did you have your brain engaged when you told the PARAMEDIC that you thought EMS sucks?
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Why are you training on the trucks if you have only been in a year and four months? How much time does your Capt. have in?

My Capt. is a fifteen year vet. The only reason he applied for the position was because of the raise. I will be the first to admit that I know more about the truck that we have than almost anyone on the Dept. I love being a firefighter and took it serious when they told me that knowing everything about the trucks we drive is one of the most important parts of the job. I took the manuals and went over the truck using the manual as a guide(I wasn't offered much help from the other vets. They would rather watch the tely then to help the probies.)

And YES, no-name, I had considered that I shouldn't say it, but he said that complete honesty would be appreciated and that he didn't like the fire side of the service. I have never been one to mince words and when I was hired they told me not to lose that.

welp, you did put yourself in the dog house (pun intended), and it might take some time before you can get out. You may have insulted this guy, and now you'll have to try and make amends.

How?

Pull him aside and talk to him about it. See if there is anything else that maybe holding up your getting off probation. Friendly with any Lt's, or Chiefs? Talk w/ them on getting back on this guys good side. See if they know (and if they'll tell you) what's holding things up. I'm not saying that you HAVE to kiss some *****, but . . .

good luck . . . . . . . . . . probie!

I have to agree with toneloc177. Take your captian aside and talk to him, off the record person to person. I had a supervisor that I butted heads with for a long time before I finally got up the guts to say something. By doing that I got the problem out in the open and I earned some respect by being willing to take the first step.
    Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

Just to clarify, I did get off of probation. I'm still a rookie though.

Thanks for the input.

Thats what you get for being honest. Here is the correct answer to that question. "If I could take any part of my job away, it would be the strong desire to crawl in my captains bunk at night and make sweet love." Here is why it works. 'A' he will stay very far away from you leaving plenty of free time to sit around and think of how much you hate responding to the nursing home at 3am and 'B' if he gives you any crap, sue him and the department for discrimination against hose pullers. Its a win win situation. Try not to be so honest in the future.
    My comments posted here do not reflect the views of my department.

Thread Information