Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Though I believe that I am a law-abiding citizen, I will raise the flag when the appropriate memorial honoring all of the fallen firefighters of NYC has been done OR FDNY says that they are raising their flags; whichever comes first. Does anyone know if they have raised their flags? That should be the signal to the fire service. The rest of the nation can take them back to the tops of the pole and I agree that it sends our enemies a strong and united message, but the signal that I am trying to send to the rest of our nation's firefighters is that our flag is at half staff for FDNY. I don't have bunting or anything else. I have the flag and as far as I am concerned, that says it all.
    I will do whatever NYC does and not before.
    Of course, that is my opinion; I could be wrong.
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Yes I agree with alot of you people to keep it at half staff, however out of respect for a fallen firefighter flags do go down half staff untill the memorial or funeral. at that time they go back up, the department that those individuals are from or that individual is from the flag stays down for 30 days. My question is When is the memorial it keeps getting postponed. Is it today Sunday?

The president has ordered the american flag to be be displayed at full mast and that is what we should do. We can still wear our mourning bands on our badges, which I plan to do until every FDNY firefighter is accounted for. We can also continue to conduct fund rasiers for the familes of our fallen brothers familes.
    Fly ole glory high and with the pride that we all have as american firefighters.
    Fireman Phil of the Show Me State

Forum Member
    World's largest open-air insane asylum... Santa Cruz CA

I go along with the idea of attaching a black ribbon and raising the flag to full staff... it shows respect both for our fallen brothers and for our Country.

In this instance, though, I don't think *anyone* in the fire service is going to criticize a department for leaving their flags at half-staff until FDNY raises theirs. Unfortunately, as someone has already said, it's possible that some will never be found, but it sure as hell won't be for lack of trying.

God Bless the FDNY and the brothers.
    Remember the brothers... FDNY 9/11/01

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

I.A.C.O.J. for LIFE!

No Vote

Let FDNY make the call,,,

The pres said sat. full staff His call

flags at firehouse's let FDNY make the call

thank you

and God bless us all...

capt 12

My vote would be to fly the Stars and Stripes high and proud! Yes, we need to honor our fallen brothers/sisters and only time will heal our wounds. US Military protocal states that we cannot declare war if the US flag is flying at half staff. Lets always remember our fellow Americans that have gone before us-God Bless America!
    "Stay Safe, Stay Low and lets Rock-n-Roll"

I agree with many of you, that we should not raise them until our brothers are found. But at the same time I dont want to show any disrespect to our flag or our country. But if someone is taking a vote I say leave them at half.
    K.A. Dempsey
    fire69dawg@yahoo.com
    "If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you are doing tomorrow"

Can someone IN NYC advise what the Fire Stations, Fire HQ and Academy are doing with their Flags - Half-Staff or Full-Staff?

Several posters have suggested that they will follow the lead of the NYC Firefighters and Administration - We need to know just what NYC is actually doing.

Personally I feel that if you are going to keep your flag at half staff that you should do so until ALL rescue efforts are completed. Not just those for FFs, Rescue Workers, and Police Officers, but for all the victims of this horrible tragedy. Many local businesses are putting their flags back to full staff and I understand this. Many want to put their flags high into the sky to show their pride in our country. I think it should be an individual choice. My father is keeping his at half-staff until all rescue efforts are stopped in Washington, NYC, and Pennsy. Take care and God Bless.
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Here's a link to the Forehouse.com article from the IAFF that "requests" Fire and Emergency Services to continue flying the Flag at Half-Staff until October 11.

It would really help all of us to decide what to do in this regard if someone could get President Bush to make a public statement on the subject of who should or may continue to fly the Flag at Half-Staff.

Anyone have direct access to the Oval Office?

Link: Firehouse.com IAFF article on Flags.

Originally posted by Phred:
    Anyone have direct access to the Oval Office?

We ALL do!
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0010914-7.html

which ammends:
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0010912-1.html

Until sunset on Saturday 9/22/01 --- so ordered by the authority vested in the President of the United States of America by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America.

I suspect most of you swore an Oath to support this Constitution. Therefore, if you abide by the orders of the President, your flags should be returned to full staff by now.

How is this for an idea, why not put them back at full staff... and then when the Memorial Service is finally held, have the President order them lowered for a 24-hour period?
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

I feel the same way...If we want the flag at half...we should be able to...we are showing respect for those who lost thier lives and loved ones...
    -chad-
    What r they gunna do arrest us!!!!!!?

[ 09-25-2001: Message edited by: Truckie465 ]

No offense to the President or the consitution, but I think if you want to keep your flag at half staff in memory then you should do so for as long as you need to. Take care.
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Forum Member

If the usual mourning period is 30 days, then let's give our fallen brothers and sisters at least that.
    Half staff until October 11th!

Be careful out there.

1261Truckie

Don't mean to steal anyone's thunder, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go to the forum I started entitled "PLEASE READ ....IT COULD MEAN THE WORLD TO A FALLEN FFs CHILD" and take a minute out of your day to send a message of love and support to the families of our fallen heroes! THANK YOU!

Originally posted by hctrouble25:
    if you want to keep your flag at half staff in memory then you should do so for as long as you need to.
    Here's an interesting question... is it "your flag" or is it "our" (as in the Country's) flag?
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Originally posted by MetalMedic:

Here's an interesting question... is it "your flag" or is it "our" (as in the Country's) flag?
    VERRY interesting point, sir!

I first opened this post with the thought of developing a great desire to keep the Flag at Half-Staff until all the Emergency Services folks had been recovered. As some have pointed out, that may not be possible...

Please remember we need to UNIFY the Country; not create another argument.

Many wish to follow our President's order to resume flying the Flag at Full-Staff; I agree that we should follow the Country's Leader and abide by his wishes.

That said; I'd like to know IF the President has been advised that many in the Fire Service would like to fly our Flags at Half-Staff for an additional period of time; AND would appreciate it if HE (the President) would issue an executive order permitting us to do that.

We need a messenger to carry this request into the Oval Office. I'm not certain an e-mail to the White House would ever get past the mail readers . The President might at least listen to a plea from the IAFF leadership. Any volunteers to become the messenger?

Excellent idea Phred! I would see nothing wrong if the President were to issue an order that would permit the flags in front of Public Safety Facilities (Fire, Police, EMS) to remain at half-staff until 10/11/01. This would make it an option to serve the needs of each individual department as they feel to be most appropriate.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

I believe his order affect federal facilities. He did not infer all flags should be raised. If you have suffered a loss, or feel you have, by all means trim your flag.

The nations firefighters all suffered a great loss, I don't think you have been ordered to raise your flags by the President.

Just my opinion.

E229Lt ~
    You might have missed this earlier post:

Originally posted by Phred:
    Can someone IN NYC advise what the Fire Stations, Fire HQ and Academy are doing with their Flags - Half-Staff or Full-Staff?

Several posters have suggested that they will follow the lead of the NYC Firefighters and Administration - We need to know just what NYC is actually doing.
    Lieutenant ~
    We'd like to know what the FDNY is doing with their Flags. Can you tell us how the Station and Administrative Flags are being displayed?

And helmets off to ALL the FDNY Folks!

Thread Information