Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default What's appropriate?

I'm wondering what you all consider appropriate as far as commemorating 9-11 for someone like me. Before you go thinking I'm a badge bunny, let me clarify...
    I've been around fire service all my life. My dad was a vollie before I was born (fire hall right next door so it made sense), I still have family members and a fairly large number of friends who are firefighters. When my ex-husband and I were still married, I ran radio occasionally for their volunteer department when they were shorthanded. (Dispatch experience comes in handy.) Due to a medical condition, joining a department is not an option.
    I have had a hard time coming to grips with what has happened. Losing that many brothers is incomprehensible. Most of my friends don't understand and think I should just get over it. They don't understand the size of the sacrifice or the mentality it takes to be willing to put others first even if it costs you your life.
    I've seen the postings about tatoos, etc. But I also don't want to trample toes since my involvement is one of the heart and not the body. Any suggestions?
    Pepper

Well Pepper, you have gone a long way just by posting your message. I don't think this should be an "us and them" thing in the first place. While we are all mourning the loss of firefighters, I think we also remember the police and EMS and certainly do not forget the innocent civilians who were just going about there business when the attacks occured.

Perhaps you could sharpen up your posting and submit it as a "Letter to the Editor" of your local newspaper to express how you feel? Some papers might be interested in the "essay" format for their editorial page. Are you able to get involved with any of the many programs trying to help with the 9-1-1 incident? Contact your local Red Cross and see if they need some volunteers for their blood mobiles. If that is not prossible, perhaps you can help by making phone calls for the Red Cross to past donors to remind them when the blood mobiles are in their area.

If nothing else, I am sure I speak for most of us to tell you that we welcome your postings here on Firehouse.com. Feel free to share your feelings with us and also feel free to respond when we share our feelings with others.

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: MetalMedic ]
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Hey MetalMedic, do you guys still have the LTI Aerial that was damaged back in the middle 80's? I worked for an aerial inspection company then and did the damage assessment. The insurance guy couldn't wait for me to leave...$$$$$. Your Chief then was a great guy but I can't remember his name.
    Good post by the way. Be careful!
    See you on the big one
    Billy Reiter, 1st Lieutenant/Chaplain available 24 7

Originally posted by Chaplain41:
    Hey MetalMedic, do you guys still have the LTI Aerial that was damaged back in the middle 80's? I worked for an aerial inspection company then and did the damage assessment. The insurance guy couldn't wait for me to leave...$$$$$. Your Chief then was a great guy but I can't remember his name.
    Good post by the way. Be careful!
    Hey Chaplain! To answer your question,.... yes and no. The LTI that took a nasty spill did not pass inspection FINALLY 2 years ago. So, LTI made us a deal to "refurbish" the unit. At first, they were going to re-use the torque box and the bottom section. During the constructions visits and when we got it back, it appears more like they only reused the Federal Q.

The Chief back then was Chester LeFever who has passed away. He was a great guy. Our Chief now is Bob Ballentine who might have been the Apparatus Foreman when you were here.

Stop up and see us sometime!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Yeah MetalMedic, Chester LeFever, sorry to know he has passed on. We hit it off pretty good from the get go. I remember telling him i wanted to be a firefighter and he told me to move to Orrville. (Your high school football team beat ours..Sheridan..in the playoffs a while ago). He gave me your dept. hat and i still have it. I have in-laws up your way so I will be stopping in to visit. I remember Bob by the way. Hey, you guys be safe and I'm glad that Pepper's post got us in touch.
    Sorry Pepper to use your Topic post to chew the fat with my neighbor.
    See you on the big one
    Billy Reiter, 1st Lieutenant/Chaplain available 24 7

Hey chaplain! That's what this post was all about, eh? Helping? So at least one good thing came from it. Metal-thanks!! And to those who sent personal emails, you have to know you made my day!
    Stay safe, God bless, and my thoughts and prayers...
    Remember FDNY and all the other victims and families...
    Pepper

Thread Information