Default The Goofiest thing a ROOKIE ever done

If it was you or just a new PROBIE. What is the goofiest thing you have ever heard of e FNG doing.

Forum Member

Ya, that would have been me. Way back when I was a probie (3 years ago) we were at an MVA in December. It was a morning call, so things were really cold. Oh did I mention this is Canada, and things where really really cold?

Anyway, being a probie, I was told to pull a line and stand around and watch while the rest of the guys worked. "Hey," I thought, "this is way better then doing traffic." The PTs where taken away by EHS and the tow-truck showed up to pull the jeep out of the ditch. When they pulled it up onto the road and put it on its wheels, gas started to leak out of the tank. The Chief told me to wash down the area. I looked down to change the settings on the nozzle. However, I couldn't see that well because the hammer was in the way. So, I pulled the hammer back to get a better look, without thinking. The Chief was waiting, standing right in front of me, less then ten feet. The nozzle was set to 95 gpm with 100 psi behind it. I realized what I had done, but it was to late. The Chief was soaking wet by the time I shut it down. Oh, did I mention it was December and this is Canada, and it was really cold? My Captain said it was the funniest thing he has ever seen.

Needless to say, I got to do a lot of traffic after that and it was a long time before I got to man a hoseline again.

[ 10-06-2001: Message edited by: firefighter26 ]
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

[ 10-06-2001: Message edited by: Adam Spencer ]

I THINK I GOT YA BEAT!!!

MY FIRST STRUCTURE FIRE....AND I SCREW IT UP....HERES THE STORY

I had been on the dept. about six months and Ima cadet... We had worked at this fire most of the early morning and had started "breakin' it down" around 745... I was told by the Asst. chief to go shut off the hydrant so I ran up the block to do so... I got there and turned it the way I thought it should go...(which by the way was the right way!!!) After about 10 seconds I saw that the LDH (5") hadn't started to go down... I had no idea that it was because the drain was open and we had 1500 ft. of hose on the ground... I could still hear water running and I got so scared cuz I knew I'd get in trouble if someone unhooked the hose from the truck... I quickly started spinning it the other way unknowing to me I was just making the problem worse.... The B crew had come in to let the A crew go home since it was B shift and the new captain walked up to me and asked me if I was sure I had turned the water off.... I said I think so and look down the street to see it gushing out of the LDH....He kinda sorta half yells half explains the way to tell that a hydrant is shut off and says I should know this... Come to find out later....He had taken to storz wrenches and unhooked the LDH only to be soaked by 700 gallons of water... THE LOCAL NEWS CREWS WERE THERE and THEY CAME UP TO HIM TO SEE IF WE COULD DO THAT AGAIN SO THEY COULD GET IT ON CAMERA...NEEDLESS TO SAY THEY HAD MISSED IT THE FIRST TIME AND SAYING THIS DIDNT MAKE HIM ANY HAPPIER....OTHERS TOLD ME HE HAD STARTED TOWARDS ME WITH THE WRENCHES IN HAND AND A ****ED OFF LOOK ON HIS FACE AND SOMEONE QUICKLY TO THEM OUT OF HIS HANDS!!! I WAS REMINDED ALL THAT DAY WHAT IT WAS LIKE TO HAVE WET SOCKS ON!!!
    Adam Spencer
    Cadet Firefighter/First Responder
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa MO 65714

We had the FNG convinced that you can push start a K-12. Watchin him run around the front lawn had us all hunched over in laughter.

Be safe.. JB
    These are MY opinions only, not the organizations that I am affiliated with.

Dont forget to wear your "REED"!

Be Safe
    Jerremy Brown

Forum Member

We were filling a brush truck after a fire one evening, teaching the new guy how to fill and all that fine stuff. We thought he would be able to keep it under control. We thought wrong! We found out later that night (at the scene of a worker) that he had let the tank over fill and didn't shut the water off in time and filled the Chief's boots with water. Wasn't a pretty sight when he went to jump into his boots.

Stay safe,

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

World's largest open-air insane asylum... Santa Cruz CA

JB... LMAO at that one!!!

We had a new member come into the company and catch his first call that same night. We get to the job and the OIC sends the probie with me to take an attack line. As I'm advancing the line, I look back and realize that the guy is walking really strangely... like he's off-balance. I ask him if he's OK... he says "It's hard walking in these boots" (3/4 boots, by the way... this was back about 1976).

I look down, and realize he's wearing his sneakers INSIDE the boots... like they were galoshes!!! And he's still trying to force his feet down into the boots as we're standing there... guess no one had told him about ditching the shoes first...
    Remember the brothers... FDNY 9/11/01

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

I.A.C.O.J. for LIFE!

I'm the one that caused the warning to be put out...check to see if the door is unlocked. An early morning structure fire with possible occupants, thick chocolate brown smoke (pump operators had to don masks), anyway, I did jiggle the knob once I found it but I didn't waste to much time swinging the axe and trying to break thru a vault of a door. My partner yelled for me to hold up...he grabbed the door knob and walla..open door. I did the same thing on an interior door, broke the top half open to gain access (closet), later during the overhaul, my Captain saw the busted door while I was standing beside him, he grabbed the door knob and walla...open door. It was my first real structure fire...the occupants were sitting in a pickup truck a hundred yards away watching.. they had gotten out on their own but didn't think it necessary to tell anybody. Weird!
    Be safe everybody!
    See you on the big one
    Billy Reiter, 1st Lieutenant/Chaplain available 24 7

Forum Member

Adam, you may have had the volume with that LDH, but I had the Rank.

I am not talking about a battalion chief, or an assistant chief, I am talking about the chief-chief; the head guy, number 1, stripes and bars, white shirt and white hat.

However, rank vs volume, we can call it a tie.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

We had a new guy on our engine while responding to a structure fire. We have 911 seats so everyone can get off of the engine fully packed up and read to go. Well, this guy hops off, fully turned out and packed up except for one thing. He had his helmet on backwards, with the chin strap fastened, and had no idea until someone pointed it out to him.
    Captain 203
    FF/EMT-CT

how about being a rookie and hitting the hydrant. then not waiting to be told to charge the line and instead of charging 50' of hose i charged the 500' in the hose bed lets guess who got to pull and pack the hose bed????
    the views expressed here in no way reflect the feelings of any organizations that i belong to

Captain203, I hope somebody took a picture!
    See you on the big one!<br />Billy Reiter 1st Lieutenant/Chaplain available 24 7

I visited an american fire department once...
    Ride along to a medical call - No EMT training, only done some BLS.

On a CPR call, They ask me to ride along in the ambulance, together with another FF. The paramedic who rides in the back asks me to get the blood pressure. I put this thing around the guys arm and press the "on" button of the machine.

The velcro band inflates, and on the machine a red digit says 10:17
    I - helpful as ever - Thought it might have been a good idea to read out this guys blood pressure so say out loud "17 over 11!!!"

The paramedic pointed out to me I read the clock...

The guys of the engine had a good laugh over it...

Thread Information