Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Price of new pumper

I am trying to find out about the price of a new pumper, but have not found what I am looking for in the new deliveries or in any of the magazines I get. The specs are as follows: International 4900 4x4 300hp chassis, Top mount pump panel, CAFS 200 cfm, 1250 Engine driven(seprate motor than drives the truck for pump and roll), 1500 gallon tank, 50 gallon foam cell, 2 1.5" and 1 2.5 speed lay, 2 1.5" hose reels(reeltex hose)and deck gun that are able to have CAFS, High side left and low side right compartment with the standard doors, and a 24" front bumber extension with a 2.5" discharge on the front.

If any of you have seen a price on a truck like this are anything close I would appreciate the info if you could give me a ball park figure.

Thanks D308

Watch your weights!

Two things you spec are going to hold you back a bit -- all wheel drive and independent engine for the pump. All wheel drive typically costs you 500# extra weight **and** lowers your GVW by 2000#. A Diesel engine big enough to drive a 1250gpm pump will weigh in 1000 to 1500#. So you could be looking at losing 3-4,000# compared to a traditional 2 wheel drive, PTO driven midship pump.

International's website doesn't list a 4900 4x4 currently. The two options are a 4800 4x4 with a max GVW of 37,000# -- that isn't going to hold your truck. The next option is the 4900 6x6 which has a 54,000# GVW which should handle the weight requirements...my gut guess is you'd come in somewhere in the mid to upper 40s with everything you listed (Water & Foam alone is at least 14,000# in a plastic tank, 15,500# in a steel tank).

My gut, just from magazine "recent deliveries" and trade shows, etc would say the truck would come in around $230-250,000 for chassis/body/pump (i.e. without small equipment, new tools, hose, etc).
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Quarter of a million bucks, easy. Actually I have no idea and the only way you're going to know is if you get some rough specs together and sit down with a dealer or two to get them to ballpark it for you. That's when you find out what you really need and what would be nice to have.

As far as pump & roll, can't this be done with a crankshaft driven PTO pump instead of a separate engine? Don't slam me if it can't, I'm no truck expert.

You have piqued my curiosity. These are fairly unique specs, what will the truck be used for?
    _________DILLIGAF

No reason to slam someone for having good questions. The unit would be used for structure and ground cover fires with the CAFS for class B fires and spills. The reason for the engine driven pump is that it is very hard to keep the engine of the truck at a certain RPM and manage light to heavy fuel and terrain from flat to can hardly drive over it. This was discoverd with the front mount pumper the department uses. As far as the chassis I am not sure. When I went to the Navistar's web site they have came out with a new 7000 series truck that is available in all wheel drive and looks cool so that may be better and with the 6x6 chassis that big we may be able to put more water on the unit. The reason for the navistar chassis is we are pleased with the 2 we have one of which is a '81 model 6x6 Paystar 5000 with 4000 gallons of water. Any way all info is appreciated and thanks for the very constructive ideas.
    D308

blackb16
    Firehouse.com Guest

A place to south has the rig you are talking about except they have a 4 door cab with an international after market front axle. No weight problems with the single rear end. 233K

Their new Sutphen has 2400 gallons, 6 man cab, caf, pump and roll, all stainless body, 5 crosslays, ladder and drop tank rack, 3 dumps, 100 gallon foam, remote gun, 2000 feet 5" bed, 427 hp automatic, all stainless plumbing, simple panel, ac, in cab panel, cascade system... Better rig. 266 k

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: lovelock ]

Thread Information