Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

One time we was joking at a call and someone said it was not right to do that.i said if you do not joke around sometimes you will perobaly end up in group therapy someday. in the fire service we see people on there werst day after a wile it can get to you so you need to vent.joking around helps
    Dwayne S

George,

I happen to be standing around at the hospital yesterday and overheard 2 cops from the town that you refer to joking back and forth about their vollies. Now, I'm a vollie and I gotta admit... some of it was pretty damn funny. So, should I have stopped them and shamed them for making jokes in light of the recent tragedies? I think not. My department lost a member who was also a Port Authority cop. After the memorial service, his fire company invited the PAPD guys back to the station where, guess what, they all told funny stories about cops and firemen. Should I have interceded and shamed them for disrespecting the fallen? Again, I think not. The recent tragedies are just that, tragedies. Things that those left behind have to find their own way of coping and dealing with. If humor is the way that some have found, God bless them, go for it. If mourning our losses forever is your way, I know a good shrink I'll refer you to in a few years after your breakdown. Anyway, I don't mean to berate you over this but, think about things before you talk about them. I have read many of your posts and whether I agreed with them or not, they always appeared to be well thought out and very purposeful. What I'm trying to say is, don't let it tear you apart brother.
    Stay safe all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Where have I been? Working. Sorry to have missed all of this.

First of all, I am a Vol. FF. Have been for 26 years. And no, no FF ever ran off with my old lady. They would have been welcome to the first one.

And yes, when I am in a position where I must act at a domestic I act. But you know what? No cop ever beat you. You're ex-husband sounds like a classic abuser...a master manipulator and sociopath. I am very sorry you had to go through that. No one deserves it. I don't know how many years ago that was, but in NJ, at least, cops are now required to attend bi-annual in-service training on domestic violence in order to stop the mishandling of that crime. I hope that your next encounter with the police is far more pleasant.

I suppose I may have overreacted. However, cop-bashing seems to be a big hobby on this board. I have complained to the Web Team on numerous occassions who have assured me that they don't tolerate it. However, none of this crap ever gets taken off. If someone started a thread where cops could bash fire fighters, it would be shut down in a heartbeat. It's happened.

Right now, I still don't think it's funny. It's not tearing me apart and, I think, that Iam quite mentally stable about these things. It gets me that people will bash cops here about fires, but then they expect to be cut a break when they get popped for DUI because they are "brothers". It just doesn't make sense to me. Never will.

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: George Wendt, CFI ]
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

We get dispatched to a possible hydrochloric acid spill on a major intersection. We arrive, suit up and go on air, then my partner and I head down to set up the testing of it. Here we are in PPE and Airpaks and this sheriffs deputy comes pulling around our blockade and drives up to the scene. My partner and I look at each, then back at him. He then hops out of the car and strolls over to us. "Whats going on?" he enquires. (we had just finished testing and it appeared to be nothing more than a puddle of water)
    We tell him... 'Uh... this is a possible hydrochloric acid spill.'
    He leans over and takes a big sniff and then laughs at us... 'naaah this don't smell bad to me!'
    We chuckled for a while over that one.

be safe brothers
    Be safe brothers

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information