Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't know about anybody else out there, but here the fire, ems, and law enforcement get along, and have a friendly rivalry. We poke fun at each other over the slightest slights on scene, and have shared more than one cup of coffee. One of our long standing jokes is our patented "Trooper Hazmat Detector". We say when we have a hazmat on the intersate, while the fire service does the "rule of thumb", we send in out Hazmat detector. If the Trooper comes out the cloud wit green hair and a pink uniform....we don't go in. Another one we poke fun at the Troopers with. No matter how many times we do it...they always ask when they approach us on scene " What happened here?" We promptly reply " Dunno....It was like this when we got here".

Ok George heres a cop story for ya!How about we set the scene.Middle of summer late 60's south Bronx.Firefighters are having a water fight.A cop pulls up to the station to talk to his brother inside and gets hosed.Everyone laughs but him.Now the water fight continues and a squad car comes screaming down the ave and 2 cops bail out guns drawn and chase the firefighters into the house kitchen!Everyone has a good laugh when found out that the cops are joking.So the cops head outside and guess what?One of the firefighters has taken the patrol car around the block and snuck back with the keys in his pocket.The cops name was Bobby Ullick and you can read this same story.Report from engine co.82 is the book its author is the founder of the magazine that this site is a part of.Now get over it George cause I am sick of people like you!We need to laugh! We pick on our cops they pick on us but guess what?You pick on either of us you are in deep kimshi!We are family and we can laugh at each other.We have two cops not related that work third shift with the last name of Johnson.Both cops are HUGE workout buffs.I call them Johnson and Johnson the baby powder twins.We all laugh about it and do our jobs.Then you come along and get uptight about the whole deal!Lighten up man.I will bet you there was a lot of rivalries amongst the cops of the ESU and some of the Rescue and Ladder guys.This is common cause they work extrication jobs together.ESU will try to take over the scene or fire will but never in detriment to the pt.Afterwords they all joke about it.Well all dinner is on and I am going to be late for it.More stories later. Just to ****** George off

Geez George did a FF run off with your old lady once or what. Probably did her a big favor if thats the case. Lighten Georgy or you gonna have a coronary or sumpin like that.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

For some reason my EMS post went to the
    right topic, and to this one.... Weird

[ 10-21-2001: Message edited by: EbayFreakThree ]

Here's a couple for ya George. The first, we got call out for a lawn mower accident. While in route the crew leader informed the rookie not to hod her hand out if anyone was to hand her anything when we got on scene. The first thing the victims wife does is thrust a plastic bag full of toes into this girls out reached hands as we go walking around the house as the guy had slipped on a hillside and ran over his foot. Now we had two pts.
    The second is from a MVA that happened about 0100 one-winter morning the guy hit the utility pole so hard between the doors that both bumpers were touching. Yeah the driver’s airbag worked but not much good for a right side impact. But anyway, after cutting this DOA out and while putting him onto the cot he lets go with a huge relaxing SIGH. This big cop standing behind the guy next to me [thank the Lord] passes out cold on top of him now we got two pts. [the ff got a broken nose] plus a DOA. Don’t think we did not get some laughs out of that cop for a long time for that one, well up until he retired six years later.
    The hardest fire to put out is the one that can be avoided by educating the public!

One time we was joking at a call and someone said it was not right to do that.i said if you do not joke around sometimes you will perobaly end up in group therapy someday. in the fire service we see people on there werst day after a wile it can get to you so you need to vent.joking around helps
    Dwayne S

George,

I happen to be standing around at the hospital yesterday and overheard 2 cops from the town that you refer to joking back and forth about their vollies. Now, I'm a vollie and I gotta admit... some of it was pretty damn funny. So, should I have stopped them and shamed them for making jokes in light of the recent tragedies? I think not. My department lost a member who was also a Port Authority cop. After the memorial service, his fire company invited the PAPD guys back to the station where, guess what, they all told funny stories about cops and firemen. Should I have interceded and shamed them for disrespecting the fallen? Again, I think not. The recent tragedies are just that, tragedies. Things that those left behind have to find their own way of coping and dealing with. If humor is the way that some have found, God bless them, go for it. If mourning our losses forever is your way, I know a good shrink I'll refer you to in a few years after your breakdown. Anyway, I don't mean to berate you over this but, think about things before you talk about them. I have read many of your posts and whether I agreed with them or not, they always appeared to be well thought out and very purposeful. What I'm trying to say is, don't let it tear you apart brother.
    Stay safe all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Where have I been? Working. Sorry to have missed all of this.

First of all, I am a Vol. FF. Have been for 26 years. And no, no FF ever ran off with my old lady. They would have been welcome to the first one.

And yes, when I am in a position where I must act at a domestic I act. But you know what? No cop ever beat you. You're ex-husband sounds like a classic abuser...a master manipulator and sociopath. I am very sorry you had to go through that. No one deserves it. I don't know how many years ago that was, but in NJ, at least, cops are now required to attend bi-annual in-service training on domestic violence in order to stop the mishandling of that crime. I hope that your next encounter with the police is far more pleasant.

I suppose I may have overreacted. However, cop-bashing seems to be a big hobby on this board. I have complained to the Web Team on numerous occassions who have assured me that they don't tolerate it. However, none of this crap ever gets taken off. If someone started a thread where cops could bash fire fighters, it would be shut down in a heartbeat. It's happened.

Right now, I still don't think it's funny. It's not tearing me apart and, I think, that Iam quite mentally stable about these things. It gets me that people will bash cops here about fires, but then they expect to be cut a break when they get popped for DUI because they are "brothers". It just doesn't make sense to me. Never will.

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: George Wendt, CFI ]
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

We get dispatched to a possible hydrochloric acid spill on a major intersection. We arrive, suit up and go on air, then my partner and I head down to set up the testing of it. Here we are in PPE and Airpaks and this sheriffs deputy comes pulling around our blockade and drives up to the scene. My partner and I look at each, then back at him. He then hops out of the car and strolls over to us. "Whats going on?" he enquires. (we had just finished testing and it appeared to be nothing more than a puddle of water)
    We tell him... 'Uh... this is a possible hydrochloric acid spill.'
    He leans over and takes a big sniff and then laughs at us... 'naaah this don't smell bad to me!'
    We chuckled for a while over that one.

be safe brothers
    Be safe brothers

Thread Information