Thread: Chainsaws???

Default Chainsaws???

I am looking to buy some new chainsaws for my department. I really like the "Cutter's Edge" saws.....the price is the problem.

What I want to do is buy "Stihl" saws and put the "Cutter's Edge" guard on them.

What I am looking for is input on this idea!!!!

Would it also be a benefit to put the "bullet chain" on them???

Thanks

Lt. Derek Montgomery www.bellbrookfire.org

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know how it compares in price but,,, we use an Echo "Quick Vent" with a carbide tipped chain.

I love it.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

No comparison.The Cutters Edge is a high performance saw designed specifically for vent work.We've had carbide chains for years but they won't even begin to take the punishment the bullets will.We have a CE and it wins the best in vent class (Normal construction)hands down.I like sthil saws too,but the CE will walk circles around it.We have a big Orange saw(Wheel) for concrete&steel venting a T-50 if I remember right.The CE saw will run better in heavy smoke than any other saw we've owned,and we have a few.If I could afford it,I'd say go with the complete CE package,you'll never look back.Mittendorf(Ret.Chief LA)is an artist with a CE,I learned some neat tricks of the trade from him.Get your local rep to let you field test a saw,tell me what you think.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Check on a Tempest Vent Master. Our department bought one in May and it has performed well. I have used a Cutters Edge and it's a fine saw but if you want speed the Vent Master with the Raptor blade is a better saw. The bullet blade is good because it's self protecting so to speak but if you want a fast cut get a Vent Master. We get called out to all sorts of calls and our saws end up doing many types of cutting. The raptor blade is self cleaning. If you cut on wet wood with a Bullet blade it will clog. Its a shame to buy a $1500 saw and not be able to cut a tree from your path after a bad storm when responding to a call. Try both and see the how they differ. I think you will be well pleased. Both the Vent Master and the Cutters Edge have the same power head so there is little difference in power. The depth gauge on the Cutters Edge seemed a little cumbersome. The Vent Master Gauge comes off or sets in seconds. You will also note about $200-$300 dif in cost.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

i'm not a stihl salesman so take this from a customer okay.
    my family has had MANY Stihls(being my dad,me,my uncles and grandpa) we all have been happy with them. we don't baby them. we've had muliple stihl items and the quality is there.Everything from good size chainsaws to little bush cutters. I know you guys will laugh at this but my stihl saw i got is about as old as me 20 years old . It still runs great. orginal motor, just have to once in awhile sharpen the chain,mix some oil with the fuel and she's ready to cut.in my opinion it's hard to beat a stihl for quality and reliability.

My department just changed over to the Cutters Edge saw. It has all the attributes mentioned in previous posts. Here's a little more experience. At a fire last spring, I cut through 3 layers of 20 year composite shingles and a regular old wood shingle roof (under it all) with one pass on eash side, in heavy smoke, in what I would consider reasonable time- yes I had to muscle it, no it wasn't like cutting butter. Then I vented a concealed space around a chimney (through the floor) and then opened up a wall (row houses- ya gotta look between em!) and then turned it over to a guy on my crew that used it for overhaul. The saw ran fine then entire time, when cleaning it we discovered two teeth missing. (CE says it performs with up to 9(?) teeth missing) So we put it in service.

I have never seen one not-start. I have never seen (or heard) of one failing while in service, and we don't use 'em to cut up trees, we use the old saws for that.
    Yeah, the depth guard thing is a little funky, but it works well and won't allow the chain to lash back if it breaks.

Oh, and I am not familir with other "new technology" saws that were mentioned.

Thread Information