Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Emergency Lights on your own car

I am an on call firefighter in England, UK. We respnd from home/work, when our bleepers go off & my crew has a response time of 5 minutes to get to our station, which for some of the crew means a drive right through the busy part of town. We are constantly battling to get to the station in time.

Does anyone out there use an emergency light on their private vehicle to enable them to respond to the station as quickly as possible?

We feel that we should be allowed to, but no one has brought the subject up with the bosses. Although I think it may just be somthing between us & our insurance companies.

Can anyone assist?

Martinm (martinm@hotmail.com)
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Well here in Illinois Firefighters and EMTs are allowed to use blue warning lights but no siren. I know that some other states allow sirens also. Most people here just use small dash mount strobes though some go all out and spend 300-500 bucks on light bars. It kinds your own thing.....how much money you feel like spending.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Just a few months ago, here in Illinois, they passed a law that permits volunteers and professional firefighters to have flashing headlights on their pov's. I've found that alot of times, this is more effective than bluelights in catching someone's attention.
    Volunteer(noun): Completely Under-paid Professional

Here in Michigan we are allowed to use red lights as long as they have a 360 degree view and have a siren. I have a mini lightbar and wig-wags in the headlights along with a siren

Nick
    FF/EMT

9-11-01 Gone but never forgotten
    Nick
    FF/EMT

9-11-01 Gone but never forgotten.

MembersZone Subscriber NCRSQ751's Avatar

In NC volunteer Firefighters and Rescue Squads can use red lights, Chief Officers may also use a siren.

I have always had red lights, but frankly I rarely need to use them.

I believe we should retain the right to use them, but each department should live up to it's implied responsibility to regulate their use.

Abuse of the priviledge should automatically preclude their use by the offender.

I'm sure that most will agree that strong guidelines should be built around their use. While the majority of people I know use them responsibility - there are those that feel it gives them the right to drive at warp speed, make reckless moves and endanger themselves and the public. Those guidelines would protect the agency to some degree should they be broken.
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

I suggest you guys try to at least get a blue light law passed. After a reasonable amount of time, if the blue lights don`t do the job, start working on sirens.

Thread Information