Default How good of shape for ff?

How good of shape would you say a person considering applying for a full time fd?

Its hard to say because that varies from person to person. I'm not in great shape, but, I can perform all fireground functions well without tiring immediately and without having heartattack. For volunteers, my department utilises tha combat challenge and gives them ten minutes to complete the exercise. Anyone who can not do it is not allowed to be a combat firefighter.
    Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

The sad fact is that far too many departments, in attempting to diversify their work force, have agility tests that are extremely "dumbed down" and result in the hiring of substandard firefighters. I have witnessed this and it makes me sick. The importance of having firefighters, especially new recruits, that are physically able to meet the demands of this profession should be obvious.

There is something called the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) that you should get to know. CPAT is a performance test that measures the critical skills of fire fighter candidates. During the test the candidate wears a 50 lb. weighted vest (simulating the weight of a fire fighters protective clothing and equipment.) The CPAT consists of eight events:

Stair Climb (climbing stairs while carrying an additional 25 lb. simulated hose pack),

Ladder Raise and Extension (placing a ground ladder at the fire scene and extending the ladder to the roof or a window),

Hose Drag (stretching uncharged hoselines, advancing lines),

Equipment Carry (removing and carrying equipment from fire apparatus to fireground),

Forcible Entry (penetrating a locked door, breaching a wall) and

Search (crawling through dark unpredictable areas to search for victims).

Rescue Drag (removing victim or partner from a fire building),

Ceiling Pull (locating fire and checking for fire extension),

The CPAT should result in the hiring of a more physically capable firefighter. The only down side? I believe the physical agility test score should be based on time, the faster you complete it the better your score.

http://www.iaff.org/safe/wellness/cpat.html

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: NozzleHog ]

Thread Information