Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

George,
    I was unaware of the excessive firefighter arson problem in the Flanders area. And yes, you are correct, the FBI backround check is just a fingerprint check. The only other check that is made is the check done by the PD. (NCIC and local record)

Again, what is your procedure for accepting and reviewing applications? What grounds do you reject applicants on?

Everyone here seems to pick on the vollie. Everyone seems to forget that paid guys have been popped for the same thing. I think the biggest one I remember was John Orr I think thats spelled correctly) in southern CA. He worked for LA as an arson investigator and he killed a couple of people if I remember correctly. All public saftey sevices (police, fire and ems) need higher standards in some places. If these guys are guilty then they are dirt bags to say the least, not firefighters, voiilie or otherwise. Stay safe

MembersZone Subscriber

You are not reading Mike. My post clearly states that my FD does not do a good job of following the statutes that no name set forth. I think you also better be sure that your PD is using the the NLETS and CCH systems properly in conducting applicant checks. Nothing beats getting out and talking to the people that the applicant puts down on the application.

The reasons that applicants have been rejected for in the past include; physical fitness (not passing the physical). Past criminal convictions. Known substance abuse and association with a criminal element. Maybe they don't fit a broad interpretation of the law, but I would say again that the NJ legislature never intended for FD's to be forced to put on people who would bring disrepute to the organization. Remembering that I said that the overwhelming majority of applicants are accepted, we have never been challenged.

BTW, There is no widespread FF arson problem in Flanders, NJ. Those arrests were made during the past 16 years as a Detective with the Morris County Prosecutor's Office Arson Unit.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information