Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: "Roof" Coats

Default "Roof" Coats

I have seen several East Coast departments wearing Denim Jackets which someone called "roof" coats. Namely the FDNY and Elizabeth, NJ
    1. Does anyone know what I am talking about?
    and
    2. Does anyone know where I could get one and how much????

Thanks Brothers
    "Honor Above Thyself"

Patrick Harper

NOTE: THE VIEWS EXPRESSED BY ME IN THIS FORUM DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Sounds like you're talking about a "Job Jacket"

Picture courtesy of www.firewarehouse.com , prices should be in the $60-70 range. Can't give you a direct link to the page -- search on their site under clothing. I've seen a number of vendors who sell these, so shopping around isn't a bad idea.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Thanks for the link, but I'm looking for something more like a Heavy Duty Jean Jacket, much like a Turn-out Coat, but made of denim and not as thick.
    "Honor Above Thyself"

Patrick Harper

NOTE: THE VIEWS EXPRESSED BY ME IN THIS FORUM DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Forum Member

Go to Elizabeth (NJ) Fire Department and click on the webmaster's email address. He will know.
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry
    Captain, Rescue Company 1
    City of Bayonne (NJ) Fire Department

The coats you are referring to are Carhart jackets, made of cotton duck (navy) with a cordouroy collar, and a few job pathes. These are worn (mostly) by the Rescue and Squad guys for TechRescues and stuff, but available to all members.

As far as being "roof coats"....Brother if your going topside, you better had have your turnout coat on.

I guess if you wanted one, you could go out and buy a blue Carhart coat and sew YOUR department patches on!

Hope this helps
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

i have never herd of them being refered to as roof coats. they are called feild jackets and are made by various companys, for example carhartt, big bob, sears, l.l. bean, wear guard. We wear them on the rig going to and coming from runs ( better than a wet turn out coat)at pin jobs, confined space work, anywhere you need to protect the upper boby but where a turnout coat is to bulky. during the 60's and early 70's you would see them worn alot by firemen doing outside work (eng chauf, roof). I guess you might have even seen them on an occasional inside guy. The one thing i do know is that they **** off the upper level of command when they see a bunch of us together wearing them (training classes at the academy ).
    bob g rescue 2

I have seen them and do know what you are asking about. Alot of old truckies in Boston have them, my Dad included. They where worn for opening the roof in the older days, Infact I have pic's of guys wearing them on roofs and on ladders. I have one myself for those cold nights when I'm driving. I find them to be extremely warm and comfortable. We used to get them from " HArry the Greeks", but I have read they went out of Business.
    ** The opionions are mine and mine alone, they are not that of my dept or the local**

Forum Member

PTHarper,

30 years ago some guys in FDNY wore coats/jackets like that to the roof and they "justified" it by saying that turnout coats were too bulky or too heavy. They claimed the jackets were lighter and you could move more easily.

But, like 51Truck_K says, the roof is no place for anything less than full turnout gear. As long as you don't use the denim coat for actual firefighting, should be no problem.

Let's be careful out there.

Regards to all,

Jim Boyle (aka 1261Truckie)

PS to rescue2bob
    I can't imagine "youse guys" from "res2cue" would ever do anything to **** of "da chiefs"

Thread Information