Thread: carins 1010

r88

Default carins 1010

I just recently bought a carins 1010 and I have worn it to one fire and I found it was very comfortable and I love the traditional look. I was wondering anyone else who had a 1010 what is your opnion on it.

IACOJ Agitator

I have a 1010 in Blue Hills. I find to be comfortable and I enjoy the look also.

However, I prefer my Sam Houston in Broad Brook (actually liked my old New Yorker best). Nothing like a leather.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a 1010 that my wife bought new for me as a wedding present . When I used it, I loved it. Then 2 years later, she bought me a new leather New Yorker for a Christmas present , which I now use. The 1010 has been retired from "active service" and now hangs on the wall in our house. If for some reason, I could not use my leather, then I would put the 1010 in service. I also have a department issued 660Metro, but I never hardly use it.

The 1010 is a good helmet for being plastic.

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: ceno2749 ]
    Opinions stated are mine only and do not reflect those of my companies.

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

I wear the traditional looking 1010 and it is real comfortable. I've thought about a New Yorker but it's out of my price range right now. I could drop hints to my wife but I don't want her paying that much, besides, I do like my 1010, especially doning the air mask, the rachet adjustment on the head band works real good and snug. The chaplains shield in the front is awesome.
    Be safe!
    See you on the big one!<br />Billy Reiter 1st Lieutenant/Chaplain available 24 7

MembersZone Subscriber

Chaplain,
    My New Yorker has the rachet in it. The shield from the 1010 will fit too.(At least on mine it did).
    Have you considered buying a used helmet and just getting new insides? It is a bit cheaper.
    Opinions stated are mine only and do not reflect those of my companies.

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

I've owned and used a 1010 for years, and I love the thing. I'm very happy with the look, fit and feel of the helmet. It has held up superbly and I have had to replace nothing on it. The weight savings and improved balance of the 1010 are noticeable after removing the face shield I now use goggles.
    Be Safe
    GOD BLESS the U.S.A. and FDNY
    Dan

Forum Member

I also enjoy the 1010. I have a department issue Ben Franklin and dont care for it much. I think it is too heavy and we had one person get a little burned on the top of his head form the open space in the helmet and there is no true impact shell. The 1010 seems to fit better plus I like the fact that if I fall there is still something on my head after the shell comes off. I see lots of talk about the cow helmets but cant figure out what the rage is, so for now I am a 1010 fan..
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I am a leather "New Yorker" fan from a long time ago, however neither my wallet nor my department will allow me the luxury.

My department has been issuing 1010's for the past four years and I am very impressed with the helmet. Good fit, superior protection and excellent comfort.

The only modification I've made to it has been to remove the faceshield and replace it with Bourke's.

"Let's be careful out there"

Regards to all,

Jim Boyle (aka 1261Truckie)

Thanks for the advice ceno2749, I will definitely take that into consideration. I'm pretty happy with my 1010. I will be replacing the face shield this paycheck. Several of our members have gone to the flip down shield, I'm not sure what their called but I can get it for about 30 bucks at the Firehouse in Newark, Oh. Take care all!
    See you on the big one!<br />Billy Reiter 1st Lieutenant/Chaplain available 24 7

IACOJ Agitator

Chaplain: You going with goggles or flip-downs?

The flip-downs, btw, are called Bourke face shields (commonly referred to as just "Bourke's").

My department began issueing Cairns goggles a while back for anyone who wanted to replace the face shield on our Sam Houston's (FD issued also). I was thinking about putting goggles on (my leather, not my 1010) along with a pair of Bourkes.
    IACOJ Agitator

MembersZone Subscriber

In a nut shell . . .

LOVE the 1010

HATE the goggles (Awkward to carry/store, hard to Don/Doff, didn't fit as snugly as I'd like once in place, etc)

In all fairness I wasn't used to wearing goggles when I switched and because they were new and I wasn't used to them - I probably didn't give them a fair test.

Currently I wear ANSI approved Safety Glasses in lieu of the Goggles and am considering adding the Bourkes as secondary Eye/Face protection.

Just to clarify - the goggles in question are the great big 1950 Motorcycle cop style that came with the 1010's when goggles were first approved. I haven't tried the EES (or ESS or whatever there called) yet, but just by visual comparison they look like they might be a better choice.

Anyone with any input on those type of goggles ???

Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Adze, I'm going with the Bourke's. The face shield that came on the 1010 is really smoke stained. The other night while using the cutters, I had to lift it to see where i was cutting, and hope nothing came racing toward my eyes. I considered the goggles but the way I sweat, they may steam up on me. I ride dirt bike and goggles with a full face helmet, even the vented Scott 89's I wear, get hot. Thanks for telling me the name of the flip downs. Now i won't look like an idiot when i go to the store, (even though I am's what I am's). Got your back friends!!

IACOJ Agitator

Chaplain, if you are going to use the Bourke's as your sole eye protection, be VERY careful at MVA's. What I used to have in one of my pockets (and I think I still do, I have to dig through those things) was a pair of safety glasses. Even with the standard face shields, they are a great thing to carry on you.
    IACOJ Agitator

chaplain, unless they got cheaper, the bourkes at the firehouse in newark are about 45 bucks. that`s what they were about 5-6 years ago when i bought my 10-10 there. they are well worth the money though, mine are still on my lid. i`m originally from coshocton.

IACOJ Agitator

I've heard they can be found for around $25 at conventions. However, I was in a fire/polce store the other day and they were selling them for $60.
    IACOJ Agitator

Hey Jeg532 and Adze, one of the young guys on the dept. told me around $30, I called this morning and was told $53. I going to get them regardless. I've got safety glasses I'll put with my extrication gloves Adze, good advice.
    Jeg532, my favorite guitar store is in Coshoction, Wildwood in Roscoe Village. I'm not allowed to go there to often though, especially after the Taylor 12 string I bought there $$$$$ for our budget!

God Bless everyone!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Chaplain 41 (et. al.),

Thefirestore.com has (and I quote)
    Bourke Eyeshields With Hardware Kit Included for $47.00 (plus shipping of course).

They also list :
    Bourke Eyeshield Hardware Mounting Kit - Price $4.00
    Bourke Replacement Lens Kit With Two Lens, Fasteners, Drill Bit and Instructions - Price 23.00

Now I dunno if those two items will have all the parts that the kit has - but that may be where the $30 ball park figure came from.

Stephen
    FF/Paramedic

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: N2DFire ]
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Like the 1010.....fits well and has the added benefit of being paid for by the dept. I took off the shield, use Bourkes from an old leather and have a pair of goggles strapped on over the helmet....all in all it works pretty good.
    Leathers are fine but I have a kid in college..........nuff said.

I personally have never worn the 1010, but I have friends that love them! I recently placed a Conway American heritage(similar to the 1010) into service. The Conway has adjustable height, looks great(like the 1010) and I found it to be about $50 cheaper overall. I now have friends that are considering replacing their 1010's. Just a thought. I was forced by my dept. to go with a 4" face shield, although I desperatly wanted the bourkes, they just look so damn good!!! Take care.....

Forum Member

I have never worn anything other than my leather New Yorker. I love it.

There are some guys on the job with me who have those plastic New Yorkers and I hate to say it, but they don't look as authentic as the real thing (in my opinion).

Just my 2 cents....

Forum Member

anyone seen a thread about "plastic" helmets ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

still dont see it.................
    Dude, I told you I'm not yo daddy...
    Despite popular beliefs, DarthVader wears leather !!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Me Too........

My lovely bride gave me a 1010 for Fathers Day about 10 years ago. That, and my Pacific Helment for my Tech rescue activities, is about it for headgear for me. I still have most of the Helments that I acquired over the years, including 4 New Yorkers, 4 or 5 Metro's, and one Aluminum Traditional. The 1010 has been the best though. For eye protection, I use goggles. Period. I have a personal dislike for Flipdown eyeshields of any kind. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default best place to buy

anyone know the best place to buy a cairns 1010? and by best, i do mean cheapest . i know the primary choices are online, retail/fire-ems store, and conventions. any ideas which have the cheapest prices?

also, chief woods, just out of curiosity why do you have 4 new yorkers?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Default Re: best place to buy

Originally posted by DrParasite
    anyone know the best place to buy a cairns 1010? and by best, i do mean cheapest . i know the primary choices are online, retail/fire-ems store, and conventions. any ideas which have the cheapest prices?

also, chief woods, just out of curiosity why do you have 4 new yorkers?
    Because he can!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information