Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Tax Break

Default Tax Break

Does anyone think that volunteers should get a propery tax or some other type of tax break because of the service we provide for the community? Do you know of any benefits that are offered to voluntees? If so, what state is offering this?

Thank you and be safe my fellow brothers and sisters.

MARYLAND OFFERS A $3500 A YEAR TAX BREAK TO VOLUNTEERS AFTER 6 YEARS SERVICE.
    THE ABOVE REFLECTS MY OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY REFLECTS THOSE OF MY DEPARTMENT.

Thank you so much RES14CUE. Your information is very valuable to me and thank you for responding.

Forum Member

In Ashford (the direct opposite end of the state from you) we get a $1000 a year property tax abatement. This'll come in handy with my new truck. In order to get it, you have to have been with the department for one year, and maintained active status during that time. Active status is determined by the percentage of calls/meetings/drills you make. I don't remember the numbers now. I didn't find out about the abatement until after I joined, but it certainly was a nice suprise.

The department also pays for all training and gear up front. I had figured this was pretty much universal, but in talking to people from other departments, I guess it isn't always the case. I guess they're having trouble with folks bailing on the department once they realize FF-1 is tough during the summer!

I don't believe the state gives us anything, and I'm not 100% sure it should either (although I wouldn't turn it down!) The various tax breaks vary widely from town to town.

Andy http://www.ashfordfire.org

Connecticut in 1999 the State Statutes were amended to allow Property Tax Abatements, allowing Towns the option to abate up $1000/year per volunteer firefighter or ambulance member.

Unlike "Veteran's Exemptions" were $1000 of property is exempted (un-taxed), the Abatements are actually (upto) $1000 left in your pocket. Now, unless you own a house or other substantial property, you won't see the whole abatement -- if you only property taxes you pay are $200 a year on your truck, that's the maximum that can be abated...but that's a good deal for a young 20 something!

As Rittner said, each town can decide how to implement it. Mine currently doesn't. The favorite system I've heard of was:
    $500 for attaining minimum % of calls, training, and meetings (i.e. "Active")
    $250 for having FFI Certification
    $250 for having EMT Certification

I'd tweak it just a bit (make the FFI bonus for "Maintaining Interior FF Certification"), but it does give towns that accept it both a carrot to coax people to take training above bare minimum, and is a nice thank-you.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Right... the abatement just nullifies your taxes up to $1000, or whatever your town sets it at. When I had my old Chevy Citation, I'd only be able to make use of $20 of the $1000. But last year my car taxes were about $350, and now with a truck that is valued about double what my car was, I'm glad for the abatement. The car, BTW, is in two pieces in a junkyard somewhere.

I imagine I'll use the whole $1000 once I get a house.

Like I said before, I'd volunteer with or without the abatement. We're kind of playing it up a little bit though on our website, since we're looking for new members. Might be enough to give someone that little extra incentive to sign up.

Andy

Thanks Andy!!! Your information on CT volunteers is a huge help.

Stay Safe all my fellow Brothers and Sisters

In New York State you get the big $0.00 for your efforts...

Thank you as well Dalmatian90. All this info is great. Keep it coming.

Stay safe all my fellow Brothers and Sisters

rmarcy I know that the in New York we get paid nothing. I am from New York and just moved to CT. Thanks to the reply.

in jersey there are several bills on the floor for tax breaks and also to waive drivers license and registration fees, but we'll see if that happens
    9/11/01 forever in our hearts

Where can we go to find out if our state has this policy... i live in Pa and until now i never heard of this before.

If we have it i would love to beable to use it
    [FDBS]Wray

[FDBS]Wray,

That's a big negative. Our state does not offer a tax break to volunteer firefighters and probably never will. It has been proposed several times, but hasn't made it very far up the food chain. Hopefully someday it will become a reality.

Todd

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: 15 Truck ]
    "Greater love hath no man than this; that a man lay down his life for his friends."

darn...

thx Todd
    [FDBS]Wray

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

I have to disagree with the zero in NY. In certain areas on Long Island, you can get some sort of housing relief, you just have to commit to volunteer for 5 years....

Here in SC we get a $3000 tax credit which has the possiblity of becoming $5000 this year. The only requirement is that you earn enough "points". You get points by attending so much training, so many meetings, and a certain percentage of your calls. Depending on your dept it can be really easy or extremely hard to earn enough points.
    When the defecation hits the oscillation I'll be there.

Hey Diane, . . . this is LONG Island, NOT Fantasy Island. I don't get nothing extra, other than the satisfaction of a job well done. GAG! Common, we don't get shiznit!!! Should we, . . . . . . do you see people lining up for membership into your organization? Do you have more people resigning than signing up?

It's only a matter of time before more and more departments have some paid members, and then after that . . . who knows!
    May God bless all the people and families who have lost
    their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
    toneloc177@firehousemail.com

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

STATE OF NEW YORK
    2001-2002
    Regular Sessions
    IN ASSEMBLY
    January 16, 2001

Introduced by M. of A. BRODSKY, ENGLEBRIGHT -- Multi-Sponsored by -- M.
    of A. LUSTER, SWEENEY -- read once and referred to the Committee on
    Real Property Taxation

AN ACT to amend the real property tax law, in relation to exemptions for volunteer firefighters and to repeal section 466 of such law relating thereto

The People of the State of New York, represented in Senate and Assembly, do enact as follows:

Section 1. Section 466 of the real property tax law is REPEALED and a new section 466 is added to read as follows:
    § 466. Volunteer firefighters and fire companies.
    1. Real property owned by an enrolled member of a volunteer fire department or such enrolled member and spouse and real property owned by a volunteer fire company shall be exempt from taxation to the extent of ten percent of
    its assessed value for village, town, part town, special district or city purposes, exclusive of special assessments, provided that the governing body of a village, town or city, after a public hearing, adopts a local law, ordinance or resolution providing therefor; provided further, however, that such exemption shall in no event exceed six thousand dollars.
    2. Such exemption shall not be granted to an enrolled member of a volunteer fire department unless:
    a. the applicant resides in the city, town or village which is served by such volunteer fire department;
    b. the property is wholly or partially occupied by the applicant;
    c. the property is used exclusively for residential purposes and is comprised of three separate living units or less; and
    d. the applicant has been certified by the board of directors of the volunteer fire department as an enrolled member of such volunteer fire department.

EXPLANATION--Matter in italics (underscored) is new; matter in brackets [ ] is old law to be omitted.
    LBD01413-01-1

A. 1404 2

3. Application for such exemption shall be filed with the assessor on or before tax status day on a form as prescribed by the state board.
    4. If the ratio between the exemption granted under this section and the total assessed value of the real property for which such exemption has been granted increases or decreases due only to a full value assessment in the assessing unit in which such property is located, the amount
    of the exemption heretofore or hereafter granted may, pursuant to local law adopted by a tax district which levies taxes or for which taxes are levied against such assessment roll on or before the thirty-first day of October, two thousand one, be increased or decreased in such subsequent
    year in the same proportion as the total assessed value has been increased or decreased. Such adjustment shall be made by the assessors in the manner provided in subdivision one of this section and no appli- cation therefor need be filed by or on behalf of any owner of any eligible property. The exemption granted pursuant to this subdivision shall be granted to real property for which an exemption has been granted pursuant to this section on the assessment roll immediately preceding the change in level of assessment provided that property is owned by the volunteer member of the village fire department or volunteer fire company in the village.
    § 2. This act shall take effect on the first day of January next succeeding the date on which it shall have become a law.

Apology accepted.

Up here in the North Country, we get a break on our County Land Taxes.
    BE ALERT AND STAY ALIVE
    ASST CHIEF
    TLVFD, NY

For us Canucks we get a $1000.00 tax deduction per tax year from the federal govt. It helps but I personaly think it could be better. We in Canada get taxed up the wazoo personaly, while big corperations pay squat.

Thread Information