Forum Member

Default Help for other depts.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/2001/6/8_rural.html

I just read this article and thought maybe you all would like to see it. It's about a BIG problem here in the US. I asked a question while back about what your depts do with older equipment. Many said it's either sold or donated. Well I still know of ALOT more that don't donate to needy depts. I am currently working as an asst. Illinois coordinator and am asking any depts in the Illinois area to let me know if your depts are taking equipment out of service. These vol. depts. need everything form Pumpers and Tanker right down to Hose and Axs. Any donation will help a great deal.

code_blue81
    code_blue81@yahoo.com
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Code Blue, That is a great idea! I'm career and volunteer, I am with a fortunate volunteer co., and lately we have been buying and upgrading everything, so we also had the idea of donating to some of our less fortunate mutual aid depts. We ran into some interesting, and B.S. problems! 1. the state has a liability law or statute, which states that we the "donater" could be held responsible for the failure of what we donate. Well that's a problem with our city attorney!! 2. The city council which knows nothing about the fire service(even though we try to educate them), and the good neighbor policies we try to keep, wants us to sell to the highest bidder! So we watch what we "donate", we simply could'nt take the 83' lafrance out back to the dumpster, and we let the recieving dept. know what we have and that we are setting it out back by the dumpster, because we are "throwing it away". If "someone" were to take it b4 the trash man showed up, what are we supposed to do??? The whole point is "GET CREATIVE", it sucks that we have to cover our own just to help cover our fellow depts.!!! Where there is a will there is a way!!! Please follow this example and help your fellow depts. in any way, we are all here together and we need each others help!!!!

Forum Member

Shed,
    I know from talking to the founder of HOO that there is a push in the federal govt. to lessen the liability for donating depts. One of the ways that we get around that problem now is to make sure that all donated equipment is free of all evidence of it's past owners. If we receive turnouts, apparatus, or anything all names are taken off of them. And then it is given to another dept. It works out so that it's kinda secret. Also there is the "Adopt a Department" program we are trying to start where the donating dept. can give straight to the needy squads. I hope this helps anyone that might have an issue with the liability.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Thread Information